advertisement

Water Divining

My Grandfather was pretty good at it. Had me doing it too, although I cannot remember the details now. I think it was 2 bent sticks if Hazel.

Since his house was supplied from a natural fresh water well he could demonstrate it well.

What kind of conformism fascism is this?
https://www.theguardian.com/busines...t-using-divining-rods-to-find-leaks-and-pipes
I'm a scientist (Physicist by training) I've tried water divining. It just works I can't explain it except any substance has a presence and a delicately set device detects that presence. So why the witch hunt against using such a skill. Man has used it for thousands of years.
That piece is outrageous. How dare they demand that the technique be binned on grounds of cost. How much does it cost to walk up a field or a path with a couple of sticks, compared to using the modern technology?

What scientific analysis has divining been subject to, if any? I remember a test, not in anyway as rigourous as a true scientific test would be, where a number of dowsers were asked to identify which of 30 containers held water. The results were that dowsers could not indentify them any better than random members of the public.

If it works, it works! A friend recently bought a house in Tuscany, halfway up a hill. He told me he called a water diviner who walked around with two bits of wire, and after a bit he said "drill here!" And added, "not one meter that way or that way, but right here!" It worked, of course. I really don't understand what on earth they are complaining about. Probably nothing better to do to amuse themselves.

Surely, that might just show that water divining is a more universal talent, not show that it doesn't work?
It shows nothing, except that those who claimed to have dowsing talents did no better than anyone would by chance using no "equipment" whatsoever.

It shows nothing, except that those who claimed to have dowsing talents did no better than anyone would by chance using no "equipment" whatsoever.

I think that Sue was suggesting that random members of the public might be showing latent water divining skills.

Given water is essential to life as a human then it wouldn't surprise me at all to discover that, the human brain reacts to water in a similar way a bird does to navigate. Divining rods merely act as a physical focus and manifestation of said talent and yes, we all probably have it.

Finally they got it right! I've been trying to convince my wife plumbing is basically witchcraft for decades.

Birds have magnets in their heads. Water isn't magnetic.
Only that's simply not the case, it's all down the how their eye picks up light. I suggest you catch the eminently watchable Professor Jim Al Khalili's documentary on quantum physics in nature to confirm this.

Humans have eyes that can spot the changes in vegetation that you will get when there is water close to the surface

It's not just about water: some diviners/dowsers claim to be able to detect minerals and archeological remains. In the USA they've even been employed in oil exploration.

I would distinguish between water divining and water *diviners*.

There's no plausible mechanism for the former but it's conceivable that some individuals are sensitive to subtle (and maybe not so subtle) environmental cues associated with underground water.

If that really is the case, one way of testing the distinction would be to see if good water diviners (granting, for the sake of argument, that such people exist) are equally good at detecting hidden water in a non-natural setting (e.g. a laboratory).

The burden of proof would be high: extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

So why the witch hunt against using such a skill. Man has used it for thousands of years.

Because it's b**locks. Have you run enough trials to demonstrate a statistically significant advantage of divining over chance?

Have you included all the times you divined and didn't find any water in your analysis.

Apologies for my somewhat aggressive tone, I work in healthcare and regularly have to contend with the kind of pseudo scientific claptrap that delays or prevents accurate diagnosis, promotes ineffective treatments and delays or prevents access to appropriate ones. cranioscral therapy, homeopathy, etc.

advertisement

Back