advertisement

Vuelta

The first highlighted part of his comments sums up some of the responses for me Steve.

All Brailsford has to do is to release the data, clear up the mystery packages and TUE's, and stop losing laptops :)

Don't you ever wonder why Sky hire so many athsmatics?

No, because I know what exercise induced asthma is.

We all do but the Sky/ British Cycling figures are still exceptional.

As I keep repeating, all Brailsford has to do is release the data, cooperate with the Parliamentary Inquiry and stop losing all their laptops and records...

We all do but the Sky/ British Cycling figures are still exceptional.

As I keep repeating, all Brailsford has to do is release the data, cooperate with the Parliamentary Inquiry and stop losing all their laptops and records...

He's never going to convince the haters so why bother, especially based on what happened when they did release data in 2015. Ross Tuckers read on that data was that it was all within the bounds of what could be expected from a top level athlete, but it didn't stop the naysayers.

They didn't release complete or useful data though Steve as you know. It was more a marketing exercise.

Once again, if the naysayers are "haters" and wrong, show that to be the case. Release the data in full to the Parliamentary Committee if noone else. Don't tell them you have no records.

The data through up as many questions as it did answers though Steve.

For the climb of La Pierre-Saint-Martin last week – estimated by Kerrison at 15.3km and taking about 41 and a half minutes – the Tour leader climbed with an average power of 414 watts

Yet Froome only attacked with 6km to go - prior to that sitting on wheels.

Why therefore give the figure for the whole climb? It was when he attacked that others could not respond. What was his wattage for the "TT' from 6km?

The data through up as many questions as it did answers though Steve.

Yet Froome only attacked with 6km to go - prior to that sitting on wheels.

Why therefore give the figure for the whole climb? It was when he attacked that others could not respond. What was his wattage for the "TT' from 6km?

I don't see the point. People like you will never change their mind (on this or any other subject), so why bother trying - all they'll get is lots more "ah, but"'s like this.

I'm out. Merlin is never ever wrong, about anything, after all he has an IQ of 137. My position is clear. I don't believe Froome takes PED. If he has then it will come out and I will happily put my hands up and accept it. Congratulations to him big time.

I don't see the point. People like you will never change their mind (on this or any other subject), so why bother trying - all they'll get is lots more "ah, but"'s like this.

Because the numbers don't stack up and the data given by Sky is (quite possibly) deliberately misleading.

Gesink uploaded his file for the climb to Strava so a comparison is easy. He averaged 407 watts and he lost 1:33 to Froome on the climb. They have the same published weight (Gesink is supposedly 1kg lighter but given the stage and point in the race it's impossible to be sure).

Therefore either Gesink's power meter is out or Sky's data is wrong.

As you say, there are those who want to believe and those who are cynical. The truth lies somewhere in between I suspect but classify me as a cynic. The numbers don't stack up and the team have been remarkably reticent in cooperating with anyone including a parliamentary inquiry.

Brailsford should simply release the raw SRM file and people can look over it themselves - make a judgement on the facts.

As for dear Spike, I'm merely repeating what numerous observers have stated. It was our dear Spike himself who told me to "shut the **** up". Bless :)

I'm out. Merlin is never ever wrong, about anything, after all he has an IQ of 137. My position is clear. I don't believe Froome takes PED. If he has then it will come out and I will happily put my hands up and accept it. Congratulations to him big time.

Indeed. I've never been a big fan of Froome but I like him a lot more now I know that his success makes merlin jealous and gets him donning his much used tin foil hat.

Just for you Steve, I'm not remotely "jealous" - I just don't really fawn over British Cycling and Team Sky. I'm not a huge fan of watching it really either. I prefer to ride my bike up the same Cols.

"I prefer to ride my bike up the same Cols"

And I really admire you for that. Well done. Also a little jealous, but appreciate anyone who can. I can no longer due to a number of reason including fitness, injuries and frozen shoulder which I thought was a joke. Unfortunately far from it. Major problem riding a bike.

Frankly. I wouldn't give up my data if I was Frome, not when it fan be used to calculate his weaknesses. Which were obvious on the super steep stuff in the Vuelta anyway. He's just better riding on the limit than anyone else, buy he has very little ability to go into the red in a useful way. That's why he gets dropped stage after stage on the sprint for the line, he's all in.

"I prefer to ride my bike up the same Cols"

And I really admire you for that. Well done. Also a little jealous, but appreciate anyone who can. I can no longer due to a number of reason including fitness, injuries and frozen shoulder which I thought was a joke. Unfortunately far from it. Major problem riding a bike.

Would an eBike work for you?

One of my friends hadn't cycled for years due to various health related issues but got an eBike and has been loving getting out an about on that. Another of the guys I used to mountain bike with a lot started slowing down a bit when he hit 70 and has also got himself an e-Bike and is loving it, using it for big days out in the hills.

I've not had a chance to ride with either of them since they got their eBikes (I was much faster when we were riding unassisted bikes) but expect I'm going to be lagging on the climbs.

It's the pain in the shoulder and back. Even on a full suspension every thing is transmitted through the shoulder. May look into it once I get this sorted.

Frankly. I wouldn't give up my data if I was Frome, not when it fan be used to calculate his weaknesses. Which were obvious on the super steep stuff in the Vuelta anyway. He's just better riding on the limit than anyone else, buy he has very little ability to go into the red in a useful way. That's why he gets dropped stage after stage on the sprint for the line, he's all in.

I'm only talking about releasing date for one or two climbs where there are suspicions out in the public domain. They tried that in 2015 but didn't supply the raw data on split it into segments to allow a sports scientist to make a subjective judgement.

No one is asking for all of the data. Just some in order to reduce speculation. The whole veil of secrecy over British Cycling and Team Sky really does them no favours.

I miss riding the cols. There's something bizarrely life enhancing about giving your maximum for an hour or so and seeing some spectacular scenery at the same time.

No news here. It is well documented that Froome suffers from activity induced asthma.
He has never kept it hidden and there were times in post race interviews in the TDF when he was hacking his lungs up.
I agree however questions have to be asked as to why the levels were so high, even if the doctors were telling him to up the dose.
Perhaps the way round this is for medications such these to be administered by the race doctors from their car.
Incidentally the IOC do have a test, the Eucapnic voluntary hyperventilation challenge, and all riders with the condition should undergo the test

Bertie also is known to have a puff

Oh dear Chris Froome. Excessive levels of asthma drug salbutamol measured in drugs test.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/dec/13/chris-froome-team-sky-reputation-abnormal-drug-test

Funny how so many of the top riders have asthma!

But I am sure Sky's expensive lawyers will manage to get him off the hook.

Hmmm, it’ll be interesting to see how Lappartient handles this, the first serious test of his UCI presidency.

Also interesting to note that the failed test came on the day after Froome’s bad day on Los Machucos, and while he’s clearly over the allowed 1000 ng/l limit for salbutamol, unlike Ulissi and his nine month ban from the Giro a couple of seasons ago, Froome has a known history of asthma (yeah, I know).

Whatever the outcome, and however Sky try to wriggle out of this one, as before, it sure doesn’t look great for the sport... and yet I keep watching, year after year, hoping for great days like Phil Gilbert’s solo ride at this year’s RVV, Mat Hayman’s win at Roubaix...

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

advertisement

Back