advertisement

Vintage Kef speakers?

Cameron

pfm Member
I'm planning to buy some vintage Kef standmount speakers, possibly with B200 midwoofer. I wonder what are the best models: on ebay right now there are C45, Celeste, Cantor, Chorale, Caprice...
Are Linn Index sound signature (same B200 driver) very different?

I used to have a pair of Corellis. They had a B200 and T27 tweeter. I'm going back to the 70s, but at the time they sounded really good. It would be good to hear the same model again to see if I still rated them.

Just realised that you were looking for floor standers, the Corellis were stand mounted so probably not of interest.

If I may piggy-back this thread, what are the kef eqivalents of the celestion 66's (which are beyond the financial grasp of mere mortals these days).

Just as an aside, if anyone buys some Reference 104 ab's and wants some spare PBRs for them, please get it touch as I've a pair gathering dust in my loft......

Cheers
Adrian

If I may piggy-back this thread, what are the kef eqivalents of the celestion 66's (which are beyond the financial grasp of mere mortals these days).

I've got the first HiFi Choice - it dealt with speakers. I'll take a look at their recommendations, though it probably predates the 66s. I have some of the later ones which are probably of the 66 era.

On of the things I remember about the first few written by Angus McKenzie was how critical he was of most of the designs - in contrast to HiFi mags in the 80s who seemed to love everything.

I bought a pair of R104's (pre AB) and just couldn't get them to sound right, especially in the bass. There was lots of it but muddy and ill defined. Shame, but they you go.

I still have my Celeste 4's and they are really quite amazing. My son has 'borrowed' them and thinks they're great. My ones have the B200 with the 3-point mounting holes. Not sure if they were all like that though.

I had some early KEF Cadenzas (were sold a few months back) and they were nice old things but far from modern designs. The shame is that so many old KEFs get broken up for their drive units - but that may also tell you something. In my view KEF speakers really came good from the mid '80s with the Reference series. The Reference 102 was a superb small standmount and the Reference 104/2 was a quantum leap over the earlier 104. The Kube was an interesting concept too.

Best of the '70s UK designs in my view, Quad ESLs and LS3/5a excepted, were probably speakers like the Spendor BC1, Rogers Export Monitor, or B&W DM4. The very end of the '70s was really when things started getting much more interesting. For all that, while I used to own some very early original Celestion "The Ditton" speakers, I've never heard the 66s, so for all I know, they may be best of the lot - certainly they seem to have gone from zero to hero in the last few years. I turned down the offer of a fairly rough pair some years back (for free), so perhaps I should be kicking myself now...

I think 66's were about the largest UK made domestic speaker, so will probably have the best bass headroom.

It's a shame that large boxes have such a small market in the UK. I can remember hearing the later Chartwell 450 at a Harrogate show driven hard by a Phase linear amp. You could hear it from 4 floors below.

In my view KEF speakers really came good from the mid '80s with the Reference series. The Reference 102 was a superb small standmount and the Reference 104/2 was a quantum leap over the earlier 104. The Kube was an interesting concept too

Hearing the original Kef 105 speakers at the Harrogate show was one of those jaw dropping moments where I realised just how good HiFi could be. They were playing a tape or LP - can't remember which - of a live opera recording (with lots of feet noises from the stage) and the soundstage and depth was amazing. Certainly several orders of magnitude better than I'd hear up until that point.

Another large speaker I liked from a slightly later period (early 80s) was the Mordaunt Short Signifer.

I've got the first HiFi Choice - it dealt with speakers. I'll take a look at their recommendations, though it probably predates the 66s. I have some of the later ones which are probably of the 66 era.

On of the things I remember about the first few written by Angus McKenzie was how critical he was of most of the designs - in contrast to HiFi mags in the 80s who seemed to love everything.

Do you have the 1976 copy?
I am looking for the review of the Celef Studio Professional Monitor from that mag.

I am looking for the review of the Celef Studio Professional Monitor from that mag.

Quite possibly, I've got many of the original A5 format editions. I'll check when I get home this evening and let you know.

If I do have the magazine I'd be more than happy to email you a scan.

I'm planning to buy some vintage Kef standmount speakers, possibly with B200 midwoofer. I wonder what are the best models: on ebay right now there are C45, Celeste, Cantor, Chorale, Caprice...
Are Linn Index sound signature (same B200 driver) very different?

There were many different variations of the Kef B200, so it's not straightforward to give advice on the various 'speakers they were used in. Many B200's were also sold to other speaker companies, such as Linn, but again, it is not straightforward as they might have had slight design changes made either at the Kef factory or at the vendors factory.

There is a useful site for Kef enthusiasts here:-

http://www.hifiloudspeakers.info/Anatomy/DriveUnits/AnatomyDriveUnits.html

Of the models you name above, I know that the (later) Celeste used a B200G which is nothing like the other B200's either in appearance or performance, being a re-designed and cheaper version for Kefs more affordable 'speakers.

Hope this helps
Peter.

Quite possibly, I've got many of the original A5 format editions. I'll check when I get home this evening and let you know.

If I do have the magazine I'd be more than happy to email you a scan.

That would be great, thanks.
If you do have it PM me and I'll send you my email address,

One word of advice - be careful with Kef 104/2's. If their tweeters have gone (and it often happens - the ferrofluid coagulates and the unit overheats), then original replacements are scarce and the Kef-recommended replacements are reputed to sound bl**dy awful.

Cheers
Adrian

Hearing the original Kef 105 speakers at the Harrogate show was one of those jaw dropping moments where I realised just how good HiFi could be. They were playing a tape or LP - can't remember which - of a live opera recording (with lots of feet noises from the stage) and the soundstage and depth was amazing. Certainly several orders of magnitude better than I'd hear up until that point.

Another large speaker I liked from a slightly later period (early 80s) was the Mordaunt Short Signifer.

Very true. I still have a pair of original R105's, though the wooden head units fell apart years ago, so were replaced with head boxes from R105.4. But the drive units and crossovers are all 70's originals. Full set of hoods too. Wife hates them to look at :(

Hi Just checked, that was the first magazine in the series. The CSPM is in there. PM me your email and I'll send you a scan in the morning.

In 1976 the speakers were £360 ex vat and described as expensive. How inflation changes things - mind you I think I was paying 20-30p a pint in those days.

Hi Just checked, that was the first magazine in the series. The CSPM is in there. PM me your email and I'll send you a scan in the morning.

In 1976 the speakers were £360 ex vat and described as expensive. How inflation changes things - mind you I think I was paying 20-30p a pint in those days.

Yes, I remember, as a 17 yr old, being able to go out in the evening with a pound and coming home drunk :D

I think £360 is about £2,400 today :eek:

PM sent - thank you

advertisement

Back