advertisement

"Vibrant" Color

I started to use Aperture last August and switched to taking Raw files. I still use PS for complex changes but the easier access of Aperture to the controls and the ability to apply the same adjustments to many similar images makes it a winner for me.

You can also record actions in photoshop CS3/4 and replay them on a batch of images selected from the Bridge. Also from the Bridge in slideshow mode you can use the CTRL-R shortcut to enter ACR and do you main adjustments there and then replay the changed images in a slideshow before converting the updated RAW files to jpeg (or whatever)

cheers
Cliff

each time you have to redefine the actions you want to apply for each batch of images.

With Aperture I get one picture as I want then apply it to how ever many I want to apply it to. I can then revisit the pictures I want to further tweak

I can also roll back the changes very easily or generate another variation of the image based on the original raw file without dramatically increasing the disk space usage.

Actually Lightroom's sharpening is not really USM but rather some content based, adpative sharpening based closely on Bruce Fraser's work and the Pixel Genius plugins that came from that. Things like Nik Software's Pro Sharpener and even CS3/4's Smart Sharpen do similar things as well although I have not much experience of those and YMMV.

Excellent Lightroom sharpening tutorial at http://x-equals.com/blog/?p=1792 I really can't understand why anyone would do USM in CS4 at this point; it's often worse and definitely harder.

each time you have to redefine the actions you want to apply for each batch of images.

Derek either you're doing something different to me or I'm missing something.

When you open the first image you create a new action in your action set and hit record - then do whatever you want to the image and when you're finished you hit stop. The action is recorded in the action set file.

When you want to apply those actions to multiple images you select them in Bridge and at the Photoshop dialogue you tell it what action set you want to apply - you can reuse the action set as many times as you want - eg I use my action set for a wee sharpen and curve as the default for conversion from RAW to Jpegs of 800 size.

What you're saying you can do in the other programme achieves the same thing I'm sure but i certainly isn't impossible to do in CS3

cheers
Cliff

advertisement

Back