advertisement

Vaughan Williams - your favourite pieces

Funny, stumbled across this thread just after listening to the 4th.

Particular soft spots for An Oxford Elegy and 5 Tudor Portraits.

I, too, don't get on with N°2. As for the Sea Symphony, it depends what mood I'm in; the Whitman words can be a bit off-putting. Having sung it years ago in the Hereford 3 choirs festival, it earns its place, though.

...and although I love much of his music, I detest The Lark Ascending. Surely the most tedious piece in the popular repertoire.

I’m also something of a Vaughan-Williams fan and have many CDs of his music. I initially picked up on the folksong origins of which I’d mention Five Variants of Dives and Lazarus.

I take the point about the well worn aspect of The Lark Ascending, but still enjoy listening to it now and then.

About a year ago (I think), I heard, on a R3 lunchtime concert, Jennifer Pike playing Lark Ascending with just piano accompaniment. I had not realised until then that RVW had originally written it in 1914 for violin and piano, with the orchestral version following in 1920. I enjoyed it and did look to see whether Jennifer had recorded that version, but sadly not (though there are CDs of her playing other composers’ works for violin and piano). I think there is a version out there by someone else, and I found a YouTube video of it by other artists.

Any love for Sinfonia antartica on here? It was how I first came to VW’s music when I was a lad, and a I still love it.

Mick

The Fifth Symphony conducted by Haitink. It is a wonderful symphony but Haitink takes to another level by eschewing the pastoral element and revealing the underlying strength.

Also the second string quartet is a real favourite of mine.

I listened to Haitink's 3rd & 4th yesterday. The 4th is the best version I've yet heard, really enjoyed it. But the 3rd was lacking interest - Hickox, Handley & Previn for me.

Albion Records, the recording arm of the Vaughan Williams society are soon to release first recordings of music for various Greek plays which was wrtten at the instigation of Isadora Duncan but never performed - vey interesting and not quite as you might expect.

Small clip here:-

I love Vaughan Williams' music. Also from what I have read about the man he was someone who deserves enormous respect as a human being. No one has mentioned Job which contains music equal to any of the symphonies.

No one has mentioned Job which contains music equal to any of the symphonies.

Possibly I didn`t give Job sufficient prominence in the OP - it is certainly one of my favourites. Perhaps one of the best performances I have heard is Boult on Everest in 1959, unfortunately the recording is rather flaky, it was an experimental process using a Westrex sepmag recorder and strangely retains a "film" sound.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001885C3S/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Several other good performances available though.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back