advertisement

Van attack at Finsbury park mosque.

You need to read the posts before jumping in I feel, read back your 2nd paragraph & think about what was written in my post.

If I've misunderstood please explain.
As previously explained I'm moderately dyslexic, and your punctuation is different, so we probably both need to try harder.

As I see it, if you take a stance that the Earth was made in 7 days, as stated in the bible, where does anyone go from here, does anything written after this by any religion actually get any more ludicrous than this based on the evidence we currently own.

This is my point, how does one set of religious beliefs (which are based on stories & faith) hold any more water than another.
None of it can be proven as fact so you either take it all in or not, picking and choosing a non fact based faith is a little pointless.

You either mock all as fairy tales or none as none of it is based in fact.
Lot's of history, yes, but no fact to back up the faith held by the religion where a god is concerned.

I think we need to clarify if your a religious person before proceeding, if your not & have no faith, then which story do you feel holds the most water, do you feel one set of religious beliefs are more true than another, when you consider there are no facts to back them up.
Basically, you need to accept all are equally personally held beliefs of which we should at least accept for the individual or you think one set of beliefs is true & others are not.

I am an atheist, but I don't see religion as a good or bad thing.
The various big religions have achieved many amazing things over the millenia, and continue to do many good things.
But they've also done a lot of dreadful things, and that also continues today.
So my disposition is to be honest - credit the positive, criticise the negative, and scrutiny where appropriate (e.g. abuse/cover-ups/hypocrisy).

If you talk with Christian academics and theologians (or similar of any other religion) they have no problems with grey areas and debating issues.
It's seems to be the angry and in posession of a lap top that have problems with the flexible and contradictory elements of organised religion.

"The various big religions have achieved many amazing things over the millenia, and continue to do many good things.
So my disposition is to be honest - credit the positive, criticise the negative, and scrutiny where appropriate (e.g. abuse/cover-ups/hypocrisy)."

absolutely .

If you talk with Christian academics and theologians (or similar of any other religion) they have no problems with grey areas and debating issues.

And what about at grass roots level where a more enlightened pov is required.

Bloss

I am an atheist, but I don't see religion as a good or bad thing.
The various big religions have achieved many amazing things over the millenia, and continue to do many good things.
So my disposition is to be honest - credit the positive, criticise the negative, and scrutiny where appropriate (e.g. abuse/cover-ups/hypocrisy).

This is about where I stand on the issue, it doesn't get any plainer than this as far as i'm concerned.

As far as my earlier post goes, the post you responded to with a quite odd reply, I stated I don't see a problem with anyone moaning about a religious follower knocking on their door when you least want it, we all moan about this I would imagine.

Sorry, it was my mistake.
I thought your point was: why would anyone have issues about being targeted for recruitment by JWs, and that iyo everyone is at it.
If that isn't talking at cross purposes I don't know what is! :-D

But that does mean you agree we can't let organised religion operate without scrutiny?

Whilst we are on the subject of Mark 'E' Everett/Eels his autobiography 'Things The Grandchildren Should Know' really is excellent and at times very funny. Definitely worth a read, and try and get the original hardback as it is a lovely thing. The kind of partnering release in the Eels catalogue 'Blinking Lights And Other Revelations' is their career high-water mark IMO, a superb album.

Also a BBC documentary http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xjba38_parallel-worlds-parallel-lives-mark-everett-eels_tech

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back