advertisement

UTTER UTOPIA; an unexpected uplift.

I decided to listen to Hans Zimmer's music for the move "Interstellar" on my old Denon AHD-5000. Eh Gosh..... when the organ kicked in I could feel it

Oddly enough, I took my Utopias round to my friendly local dealer cum bake-off attendee as he had Denon AHD 7000 (could be wrong there (memory, but they weren't cheap!)) but they were very good on a Supernait 3 from vinyl. I thought the Utopias had the edge, but very subjective. Hadn't known about upper Denons before.

The new version is more charismatic-

Think you've just invented an ideal name for a dealer, Dec. Audio Charisma. Aurally charismatic; new hifi vocabulary; well, to me at least. That IS a term I'd ascribe to my EAR 912 pre. when it supplanted Naim's 552. That's life folks !

I’m a firm believer that HD800s level of performance is hard to beat, and other (more expensive) headphones provide a variation of sound and characteristics. I do like the Utopia, compared to the 800s they sounded a lot more intimate to my ears, I loved them with jazz, I always got the impression and image of a small intimate basement, with the band playing, and cigar smoke hanging in the air.

I do like the Utopia, compared to the 800s they sounded a lot more intimate to my ears

Initially, I thought the soundstage separation of my Elears was more defined when I A-B tested them against my recently purchased Utopias. However, I soon realised that the Utopias exhibited soundstage in a different way; a more holographic way in which every nuance of music was identifiable in a homogenous but ephemeral way. I'm still sufficiently addicted to the detail revelations and intimate (your apposite adjective) immersivity into music, whether via FM radio, CD or vinyl.

Whereas I'd love to hear the 800s (or S), I think my headphone boat has finally come in.

I have been through many,many headphones,Dacs,headphone amplifiers. I prefer headphones to my
Naim/Falcon main source.

Current joy is the Naim Atom he and Meze Empyreans. System before that was based around Chord Hugo tt2 but was to my ears incredibly strident. We are all different.Thank goodness.

Just mix your Utopia with some tube headlamp .. it's even on another planet
Cheers and enjoy
Ta for the comment, which I've heard a number of times and assume it's true. In fact, I considered one or two before buying my Myryad, which was such a stone cold bargain AND with all the bells and whistles I need. Unfortunately, few (if any) valved can amps come with multiple inputs + output + 2 jack sockets.

However, all my amplification and CDP is valved, so in a way I'm getting some valve euphoria through my Myryad (which has impeccable spec's). My EAR 912 def. puts any signal through with the 'joie de vivre' it's known for.

Another caveat to a valved can amp is the warm-up time, as I need instant relay of TV signal 'cos I'd never remember to set a warm-up time !!! :)

Hello
I have had the Utopia for some time
Tried with loads of amps
Currently I use the Vioelectric v281 and the Pathos Acoustics inPol ear 2
The Pathos is smooth and organic
The Violectric is just fast and detailed
If ever , you can have a try at Icon Audio headlamp : very nice price

The Utopia is really a joy to listen to
So happy listening
Cheers

The Utopia is really a joy to listen to
Yup! Def. a sonic uptick on my Elears, good as there are. My Utopia's s.q. has been further advanced by using 1.5 metres of the top hybrid Forza (Polish) cable. Of course, 1.5 m against a ridiculously long 4 m of the stock cable is a tough comparison but the difference is marked. This came with my eBay used cans (rrp E300). I'd love to pick up a 2 plus metre version as 1.5 m is a stretch even sitting close to my kit.

Hello
Regarding cables , a chap made a good pair of cables for a good price
Though , I'm not a cable believer , I do acknowledge that they do make some difference
However I will not invest in expensive cable for the sake of it
Forza cables are very very good , albeit being expensive
Cheers

Anyone had a chance to compare the updated Utopias with the originals?
Watched a couple of videos before bought mine. American buffs extensively comparing them. Grudging acknowledgement of marginal superiority but ending with the line 'Would I spend another $1000 over the old ones? Not really'

A top headphone (the second version). Haven't heard the new version but it's meant to be a little more forgiving in the treble and more well-rounded. Curious about the new Yahama though.

Haven't heard the new version but it's meant to be a little more forgiving in the treble and more well-rounded.
Am not aware the Utopia needed forgiveness or being more sonically circular. :) However, my hearing is limited at higher frequencies. All I know is that it's a class act c/f my Elears and HD650s and somehow manages a far better immersive experience and insight into the music.

Am not aware the Utopia needed forgiveness or being more sonically circular. :) However, my hearing is limited at higher frequencies. All I know is that it's a class act c/f my Elears and HD650s and somehow manages a far better immersive experience and insight into the music.

One of the few advantages of aging - no more treble issues :)

Mike have you detected what I’d call the Beryllium signature yet?

Mike have you detected what I’d call the Beryllium signature yet?
I haven't fully signed off on that yet. :) Dec, your hearing must be of an order of magnitude better than mine, but to me, the main difference between the Utopias and my Elears is one (and i keep using this word) immersion; I prefer 'immersitivity' but 'taint a recognised word. The ability to immerse oneself (in the music) or to create the conditions for this degree of immersion is not covered by one word, it seems.

However I digress (despite taking pills for it) and I wonder if you mean a metallic signature (surely not), though when I played a track of Metallica they were a bit o.t.t. However, Copperhead Road (Steve Earle) was fine.

Basically, the Elears have greater apparent (!) separation but less cohesion and detail depiction; far more 'depth' to the Utopias. One gripe, though; I do wish they'd identify R and L on the outside as other cans do. I have to use a bit of tape on the miniscule amount of sliding headrest available. A design oversight, i.m.o.

advertisement

Back