advertisement

USB reclocker for Chord Hugo?

rockingdoc

pfm Member
Forgive me if this has been covered before, but my search didn’t unearth it.
I currently use a recent Mac-mini running dBPower rips/Tidal/Roon into a Chord Hugo via direct USB connection.
Will I gain an improvement by introducing a re-clocker between the computer and DAC.
If likely, I’d be grateful for recommendations people have tried.
thanks
Malcolm

I use the Intona isolator between a W10 laptop and Hugo. It does make a small difference.

Given the huge buffer and on chip upsampling, probably not. A decent psu/ usb isolator might as per previous poster.

Thanks. With the isolator in place, does Roon still see the HugonDAC as its output device, or the isolator?

Generally the isolator is transparent to the dac and computer. So no change of end point or driver required.

These type of products make a small but usually worthwhile contribution to replay in most systems. Hugo has no galvanic isolation so will likely reward you for adding an isolator. Buffers and async reflecting of data at the dac input provide their own benefits but are not a cure for all USB ills.

Mark

Having recently owned a chord QBD76HDSD DAC, which has no galvanic isolation on its USB input, I bought an iFi Nano iGalvanic 3.0 device. Works a treat, and funnily enough, even though my new DAVE's USB is galvanically isolated, the iFi improves the sound on this too.

advertisement

Back