advertisement

USB device for Squeezebox Touch

ks.234

Half way to Infinity
I'm looking to rip CD's Lossless and play them through my Squeezebox Touch via USB but don't know what is best; I'd prefer a memory stick, perhaps like this one http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=152746852469 as it's small an visually unobtrusive and won't be 'spinning' constantly, but I don't know if an external hard drive will offer any advantage? Can anyone give any advice?

Also, what is best way to rip CD's lossless?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
@ks234

This for ripping, use the free trial and then buy if you want/need.

https://www.dbpoweramp.com/

Start with just one album and check the playback, tagging and artwork is to your liking, the default setting is pretty good. I would suggest that you save your files as flac.

When happy with the outcome, you can rip each CD to two different storage devices at the same time (one for playback and one for storage).

Don't buy the linked usb stick, use a good brand name for testing and a usb hard disk for storage and playback.

You can connect the playback drive to the Laptop and map the drive (some routers will let you add a usb drive and use that in the same manner, this will give more flexibility in your set up).

To get a little familiar with the process you could install foobar2000 on the laptop and use that for ripping and playback of a couple of albums. Or rip with foobar to a usb stick, map the stick for LMS and use LMS for playback via the SBT.

It all sound more complicated that it really is, patience is required, keep note of where you store your files, don't fret over making mistakes, we have all been there (and some of still are) well worth it in the long run.

Also check your pm over on the slimdevices forum

Ronnie

^^^good advice. Wont be long before you discover NAS, and use your home network for streaming directly. No pesky USB drives required.

Use EAC to rip - you want a ripper that a) uses the cdparanoia library to read each block multiple times and make sure they match, and b) checks against the accurip database.

Remember that the ability of a Touch to play from local storage was a hasty add-on that kind of works. The Touch is really a network player.

EAC is nice to have but, as I'm sure you agree Julf, it's not necessary.

Every rip I've checked has been bit-correct, this was even with scratched discs, so I concluded EAC is just a comfort blanket. The disc has to have a bad scratch - but not one bad enough to stop the rip entirely - for the rip to be incorrect and ISTM that particular situation is unusual. Finally, EAC just tells you the rip's incorrect, it doesn't correct it.

I really don't worry about the ripper anymore.

EAC is nice to have but, as I'm sure you agree Julf, it's not necessary.

Every rip I've checked has been bit-correct, this was even with scratched discs, so I concluded EAC is just a comfort blanket. The disc has to have a bad scratch - but not one bad enough to stop the rip entirely - for the rip to be incorrect and ISTM that particular situation is unusual. Finally, EAC just tells you the rip's incorrect, it doesn't correct it.

I really don't worry about the ripper anymore.

Is this were I should go "clearly you are not a real audiophile"? :)

^^^good advice. Wont be long before you discover NAS, and use your home network for streaming directly. No pesky USB drives required.

this is what I'm worried about...I'll start off and end up getting obsessional. I suspect it's too late already so I'll ask....what is NAS and why is it better?

what is NAS and why is it better?

Network Attached Storage. Basically a small, quiet server that has one or more disks that you can access through the network. As they are general purpose servers, some of them can run LMS to serve one or more Touches.

If you want a full HD instead of a stick, get one with a power supply. The Touch can have issues powering drives on it's own.

I had problems using a 64GB USB stick with the SBT. It kept crashing and needs recopying and often the tracks would have a brief pause at the end of songs.

Now that I use a USB hard drive it works perfectly.

advertisement

Back