advertisement

Universal remote

You can see what devices are on their database here. For devices not known, you can go into learning mode. The software to setup the device, activities in Logitech speak, is very well thought out.

Am totally clueless about these things, so how can I be sure this Logitech (or any other) would encompass all these interfaces?
I can only speak from my experience using my Harmony One remote. The software used to set up the remote has a huge database of devices to choose from but if your device isn't in the list you can teach it the right commands for your device by using the original remote. I've had to do this for a couple of missing commands and it worked well.

I'm very interested in one of these (Logitech?), but only want it to control my E.A.R. pre (don't have the remote which is vol. only anyway) plus Lector CDP plus Sony TV and recorder plus my Myryad headphone amp. The CDP remote controls the headphone amp. but nothing else.

Am totally clueless about these things, so how can I be sure this Logitech (or any other) would encompass all these interfaces?

Try this wizard http://www.oneforall.co.uk/universal-remotes.html I put my devices in and it came up with a remote at around £14.

Cheers,

DV

The support from Harmony was (is?) second to none, especially for the price! If a device is not supported or if the commands can't be taught via IR for whatever reason, make sure to use the support phone number. I've been able to add my Revox IR remote (unusual protocol) and some photo gear this way... they can also add IR codes to add undocumented features (access to service menus/region unlock for Blu-Rays/DVDs) if asked nicely ;-).

The Pronto compatible gear, and RF1 remotes are also worth considering (esp. for the geeks amongst us), but Harmony would be my first port of call

Think I might go the way of adding to my remotes; my pre. isn't mentioned in the links above (for which, thanks). Too many digital words involved for my analogue brain, so I doubt I could even programme a universal. It would have to more or less work out of the box. Ah well, looked promising.........:(

If you are uncomfortable with the idea of the manual teaching process, then fair enough - but it really is very straightforward. IIRC you go to the Logitech website (or download their software - it changed from one to the other but I can’t remember which way), plug the Harmony into your PC and follow the instructions (which are to press a couple of buttons on the original remote.)

I'd love a universal to control kit not on the Logitech list.
Can I get a Harmony to learn :
Rega Isis CDP
Belles Pre Amp
Tivo Mark 1
Panasonic TV
Icing on cake : Pioneer CDP, Manhattan HD Freeview box, anything else !
:)

I'd love a universal to control kit not on the Logitech list.
Can I get a Harmony to learn :
Rega Isis CDP
Belles Pre Amp
Tivo Mark 1
Panasonic TV
Icing on cake : Pioneer CDP, Manhattan HD Freeview box, anything else !
:)
Yes.

OK, I'm interested but I too have a question.

What does brand compatibility mean in practice? Does the universal remote simply recreate the core functions of the individual remote, or can it also mimic non-core functions?

To take a concrete example, if I have a Quad pre-amp, I'm sure the universal remote will control the volume function. But could it also control quirkier things like the Quad's tone controls (Tilt, Bass Cut etc.)?

Bottom line; once you've set the universal remote up, do you ever need the individual remotes again?

Bottom line; once you've set the universal remote up, do you ever need the individual remotes again?

Yes. Every so often the batteries discharge, and I find it quicker to fish the original remote out of the coffee table draw than go hunting for spare AAs at 11pm. But that’s probably not what you meant...

What does brand compatibility mean in practice? Does the universal remote simply recreate the core functions of the individual remote, or can it also mimic non-core functions?

I haven’t come across a function I can’t replicate on the five items I control.

To take a concrete example, if I have a Quad pre-amp, I'm sure the universal remote will control the volume function. But could it also control quirkier things like the Quad's tone controls (Tilt, Bass Cut etc.)?

According to this thread on the Dada website the answer is yes (I think.)

I have a Logitech harmony elite that comes with the app that enables you to control basically EVERYTHING with the standard hand held remote or from an iPad or phone....bloody brilliant.

@drood, I got a universal remote because I had four remotes covering TV, Sat Box, Blu-ray and Surround. Now I have five remotes. :(

I think my thought process would have been

1. “Oh, look, a universal remote for £1 in Poundland.
2. Has to be worth a punt! If it does anything it’s worth at least £1, and if it doesn’t, well, door wedges are £1 as well, so I haven’t lost out.
3. Does it come with batteries? Yes? Bargain!
4. Bugger the reviews!”

And thus the deed was done!

25315257128_3a033a0498_c.jpg

So far - after an hour spent head-scratching trying to work out the instructions and button-pushing I can control my TV and my Humax TNT-Sat receiver! Frankly that makes two devices more than I was expecting. At one point my Blu-ray player turned on as well, but I didn't grab the codes... I'll come back to that one. That leaves two more Humax receivers which I suspect won't work because I changed the remote channel on them to stop interference with the TNT-Sat, and the Squeezebox (not holding out much hope there.) Still, two out of six and possibly three - come on, for £1...

What’s more, the enclosed leaflet with the code database is useless but very thick - so I have got my door wedge too.

I use a Logitech Harmony 700 which controls my Panasonic TV, Squeezebox, LG Blu-ray, Humax Freeview and two Humax satellite boxes. I’m very pleased with it. I don’t know if it is a current model but the 650 and particularly the 665 look very similar.

https://www.johnlewis.com/logitech-...C_rm5XkM-B54IQ0xPVwaAsR2EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

This.

Because there is no screen on the actual remote (nice but pointless) it stands up to everyday use far easier, I had 3 harmony remotes with screens all got broke within short order because they are remotes and get dropped.

The hub can be placed somewhere to hit all your devices, meaning you can use the remote or phone app anywhere.

All in all and having been through the gamut of harmony devices this is the 'one' to have.

advertisement

Back