advertisement

Universal remote

clifftaylor

Absolutely retired!
We now have four remotes for Smart TV, sound base, Tivo box and DVD, and if I can find a Universal that works, I'd like to get one - any ideas anyone?? I'm not going north of £100 either.

I see that Poundland do a UR for up to 10 items, and while it's very cheap (£1) the reviews range from "It doesn't work" through to "It doesn't recognise my TV and half the buttons don't work at all".

I use a Logitech Harmony 700 which controls my Panasonic TV, Squeezebox, LG Blu-ray, Humax Freeview and two Humax satellite boxes. I’m very pleased with it. I don’t know if it is a current model but the 650 and particularly the 665 look very similar.

The ‘activities’ are quite useful too - one button press turns on, for example, the TV and the freeview receiver and sets the correct input to the TV.

Last edited:
I thought a poundland universal remote was more likely to be a rubber finger on the end of a stick.

Honestly, any remote for £1, let alone a 'universal' one, is likely to be utter garbage. I'm surprised you wasted your time looking at the reviews.

Two reviews that bad are hardly a waste of time!
What I mean is that I'm slightly surprised that you might have entertained a thought process like:

1. "Oh, look, a universal remote for £1 in Poundland.
  2. Wonder if it's worth a punt?
  3. Maybe check out the reviews".

Personally, I'd have stopped at 1). 2) just feels like a waste of thinking time and 3) is clearly a waste of doing time.

It may possibly have been what's known as a "joke" in some places, but obviously not this one - I'm flattered that you think I'm an idiot.

What I mean is that I'm slightly surprised that you might have entertained a thought process like:

1. "Oh, look, a universal remote for £1 in Poundland.
  2. Wonder if it's worth a punt?
  3. Maybe check out the reviews".

Personally, I'd have stopped at 1). 2) just feels like a waste of thinking time and 3) is clearly a waste of doing time.

I think my thought process would have been

1. “Oh, look, a universal remote for £1 in Poundland.
2. Has to be worth a punt! If it does anything it’s worth at least £1, and if it doesn’t, well, door wedges are £1 as well, so I haven’t lost out.
3. Does it come with batteries? Yes? Bargain!
4. Bugger the reviews!”

Edit: I’ve had a look - sadly batteries are not included. That lowers the perceived value enormously, but at least it does look like it might fit beneath a door.

It may possibly have been what's known as a "joke" in some places, but obviously not this one - I'm flattered that you think I'm an idiot.
If I thought you were an idiot, I wouldn't have thought you'd been wasting your time, would I?

PS, sorry I missed the joke.

FIFY

I think my thought process would have been (shorter still)

1. “Oh, look, a universal remote for £1 in Poundland.
2. Has to be worth a punt!
3. In the basket!
Who needs a review for a £1 item? Do you get a review every time you order a coffee?

Who needs a review for a £1 item? Do you get a review every time you order a coffee?

I was in Poundland today, but didn't see the remote. I bought some delicious choccies, though, and they turned me on. What more can you ask? I mistakenly bought 24 (2 packs) of AA batteries instead of AA + AAA, so I obviously wasn't in full charge( actually, had just come from a painful biopsy at the horse piddle.)'

I have MyAv pro on my Android tablet, works well for networked devices. Depending on your handheld or phone it can do IR also Got it originally when my Humax box sometimes wouldn't respond to it's own remote. Tried a new remote and it was no better.

Did cause some problems when I was getting it set up, SWMBO was not best pleased when I changed the channel on the living room TV from the kitchen.

Logitech harmony here with the seperate control box thingy, a great device would not be without it.

+1 to all those saying Harmony. I have tried many "universal" controls and they were all a pile of crap and/or a pain to setup.

I use one of these, but not at the £229 it is showing currently on Amazon. Does the bluetooth stuff also for FireTV etc. If you track it in Camelcamelcamel you can pick it up for under a £100. It was priced at £99 on Wednesday. I picked mine up around this time of the year where Amazon drop some lightning deals on these things.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I'm very interested in one of these (Logitech?), but only want it to control my E.A.R. pre (don't have the remote which is vol. only anyway) plus Lector CDP plus Sony TV and recorder plus my Myryad headphone amp. The CDP remote controls the headphone amp. but nothing else.

Am totally clueless about these things, so how can I be sure this Logitech (or any other) would encompass all these interfaces?

I'm very interested in one of these (Logitech?), but only want it to control my E.A.R. pre (don't have the remote which is vol. only anyway) plus Lector CDP plus Sony TV and recorder plus my Myryad headphone amp. The CDP remote controls the headphone amp. but nothing else.

Am totally clueless about these things, so how can I be sure this Logitech (or any other) would encompass all these interfaces?

There is a Logitech Harmony compatibility checker here. The only EAR model I can remember is 868, and that is on there.

For the Poundland remote compatibility checking is simpler. The answer is ‘most.’ And also ‘Sky.’ Hope this helps potential buyers.

advertisement

Back