advertisement

Turntable covers

The cover is great, it keeps the dust and cat off, but where do you put the cover when you need access to the item being covered?

I've found a potential contender here (eBay). They'll make to my dimensions so I could get a decent looking fit, plus have handle and cable cut-outs. I'll need to measure accurately as the SME overhangs at the back a bit, though I don't want to go so tight it I'd risk marking the plinth getting it on and off so a good couple of cm clearance needed.

Tony, I had a customer cover made by this guy, great transaction and delighted with the result.

KR
Glenn

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Bought a few custom made covers from "prdisplays" and can thoroughly recommend him
His prices are very reasonable for the high quality covers he makes , last cover I bought was 5mm clear 450x550x350 with cutouts on the sides for lifting and a long cutout on the back , took about 10 days to arrive and it was very well packaged .....cost £120 Inc delivery

IMG_0295.jpg

IMG_0532.jpg

IMG_1987_2.jpg

Very nice :)

The build quality of Dave's cover looks superb, I really like it and I'll likely go that route (but bigger to cover the whole plinth).

I just finished assembling a sora cover. After putting it over the turntable I turned and noted one of the local cats looking at me from the window. "Hey, the guy that does those baked fish pies has put in a sleeping ledge". I may shortly be adopted. I think I might be a "rescue" tuna and central heating supplier.

OK. I think there is some kind of strange balance thing going on.

Some people have cats, so they get a record player cover.

In the 24 hours since I got a cover I've had two cats watching me and looking for a way in.

I think there is a 1:1 relationship between cats and cover but is isn't just cat implies cover, it is iffi if and only if - i.e. cat implies need for cover, but also cover implies need for cat.

I knew I liked the universe.

I, for one, look forward to my new feline overlord.

I may be guilty of stating the obvious but given its meant to be puss proof and needs some clearance all around and at the rear of the arm I'd make sure there's a means of preventing any sideways/forward movement when in place as you don't want any puss induced lateral movement hitting said arm overhang....

I feel the need to get some experimental data. Need to measure the force and the vector of force. Creating an x and y axis measuring scale linked to the sides internally, or measuring movement through a damping medium of know viscosity at a given temperature. Probably need a range of cats - small mass kitten with a high leaping velocity through to ten year old heavy set mostly sleeps moggie. We can use monkfish and squid stew as the impetus to move the cats. One whiff of that is like... ...of course! Catnip!

(I may have been channeling Walter Bishop for some of that)

I bought a display case from Sora - see under “tin figures” on their website. I like it, nicely finished, and comes with protective film, and good customer service - the case arrived with a broken part, a quick email to them and a new part turned up within a week. I would certainly use them again

The case uses 3mm acrylic, I would want something thicker for cat proofing purposes - I would worry about a 5 kg cat landing on the top :)

OTOH, there’s nothing quite like the terror induced by watching Suzy Wong (yes, ‘er on the left) walking over one’s Sondek with the lid up and the arm floating. Fortunately the LP had been taken off!

Last edited:
That looks like an initial test of a Sora cover for com-cat-ability.

That is Marley and he is 6kg. The other cat Ziggy is about 5.5kg and he regularly lands on the cover with a thump after running up the curtains. We bought the acrylic base, which locates the cover and stops the cover moving. We screwed the acrylic base to the rack and the whole thing is reasonably solid, but I'm not sure it would survive a cat from height though. Neither cat has managed to find their way past the cover despite trying hard. I also had a cut out at the back to allow space for cables. It hasn't stopped the cats from nibbling on the cables.

I had a Sora,can't fault the delivery time or the price,however I really didn't like the appearance of the nut's and bolt's,so as above I ordered one from Plasticonline which now lives in the loft due to the size and where to store it when using the deck,I now just have a Michell unicover.

advertisement

Back