advertisement

Trump Part 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
vukkie, why do you think people think it was your fault? clearly, you are squeaky clean. but note: every politician by definition is a coward. surely you remember lord acton.

DQ, I also watch RT. Apart from the sports reporting, its bias is immediately obvious, except for those who will not see.

you should watch MCNBC. they let nothing distract on this matter. a recent analysis by FAIR:

Russia or Corporate Tax Cuts: Which Would Comcast Rather MSNBC Cover?
https://fair.org/home/russia-or-corporate-tax-cuts-which-would-comcast-rather-msnbc-cover/

"At the beginning of December, liberal TV hosts Chris Hayes and Rachel Maddow—the anchors of MSNBC‘s primetime schedule—were confronted with ever-escalating breaking news. In the span of a week, from December 1 through December 7, President Donald Trump shrank two national monuments, recognized Jerusalem as the capital of Israel, saw his travel ban upheld by the Supreme Court and possibly began to create his own spy network. Meanwhile, the Senate passed a tax “reform” bill that would radically restructure the US economy at the expense of poor and middle-class Americans, and climate change-fueled wildfires devastated Southern California.

Yet on the days their shows aired during those seven days—the weekdays, December 1 and 4–7—both Hayes and Maddow bypassed all these stories to lead with minutiae from the ongoing Russia investigation that has consumed MSNBC‘s coverage like no other news event since the beginning of the Trump presidency. Topical news of the day, whether on legislation or natural disasters, took a backseat. The Comcast-owned network’s two most popular personalities used their position to focus endlessly on speculative coverage of Russia’s role in the 2016 election—devoting the bulk of each show’s 15-minutes opening segment to the story, at a minimum."

Trump should sack Mueller and terminate the investigation. According to the above logic he would be doing the Left a favour.

Trump should sack Mueller and terminate the investigation. According to the above he would be doing the Left a favour.

According to some commentators this would trigger a constitutional crisis and irresistible popular pressure for Trump's resignation or impeachment. I think the process would be fraught and messy, but Trumps ouster is probably where it would wind up. But there's some percent chance--maybe 20% or so, at a guess--that we'd wind up with a Trump dictatorship with his opposition dead or in camps or cowed into submission.

I thought Trump said he would cooperate fully with the Mueller investigation.
Was he lying?
Is it possible Trump has something to hide?
I wish Mueller wasn't named after a brand of yoghurt. It's distracting.

Trump doesn't think in terms of truth/lying. He has no moral compass. Just in terms of whatever suits his agenda at the moment.

Trump should sack Mueller and terminate the investigation. According to the above logic he would be doing the Left a favour.

it's quite a stretch to deduct the proposal you're suggesting.

the article was an assessment of reporting priorities. the legitimacy of the investigation isn't being questioned (though i would question the narrowness of its scope), merely the absurd coverage of minutiae: i actually watched rachel maddow the other night interviewing 4 lawyers for the length of the entire show (call me crazy) in an attempt to speculate about mueller's strategy regarding flynn. if we applied this to sports reporting, it would be like discussing the chances of various world cup teams and predicting coaching moves to the exclusion of pretty much everything else that's going on, including the winter olympics, until we get to the actual matches next summer.

The simple point remains that Mueller is the best hope the world has at ejecting Trump from the Whitehouse before his term is up. His enacting venal right-wing Republican policy is just what he is there to do, it isn't really news, it is just what Republicans do.

... why not just be honest and investigate his corrupt business dealings. also, given what has happened, why not push for legislation requiring candidates to publish their tax records? that surely would have nipped the ugly orange weed in the bud. people (media/politicians) were cowards during the campaigning.

because the republicans control the house, senate and presidency.

i have no moral obligation to endorse this insane collusion investigation, which seems to be revealing very little of it. why not just be honest and investigate his corrupt business dealings.

The way these investigations work is they often end up someplace other than the nominal starting point so it's quite possible -- indeed likely given the DB subpoena -- that his finances and related potential crimes will be investigated. Also we don't, obviously, know at this point what Mueller has regarding Russia, although the various subpoenas and warrants he's got so far means he at least has enough to persuade judges there are potential criminal cases to answer.

why not push for legislation requiring candidates to publish their tax records?

Such legislation has been introduced but it got nowhere as the Republicans killed it. Also note that congress can already subpoena his returns and again the GOP and Paul Ryan have blocked this. If the Dems flip the House next year they will almost certainly subpoena them and, of course, Mueller almost certainly already has them.

it's quite a stretch to deduct the proposal you're suggesting.

the article was an assessment of reporting priorities. the legitimacy of the investigation isn't being questioned (though i would question the narrowness of its scope), merely the absurd coverage of minutiae: i actually watched rachel maddow the other night interviewing 4 lawyers for the length of the entire show (call me crazy) in an attempt to speculate about mueller's strategy regarding flynn. if we applied this to sports reporting, it would be like discussing the chances of various world cup teams and predicting coaching moves to the exclusion of pretty much everything else that's going on, including the winter olympics, until we get to the actual matches next summer.

Sorry vuk, i don't do sports analogies.

I already addressed the general point (Trump/Russia is preventing the media from adequately covering othe bad things Trump is doing) in my two long posts a few days ago. Nothing in the link you shared changes my mind.

Maddow - who knows? The article only covers a week of news reporting and it's not clear from the article how much coverage other stories got after the Russia/Trump discussion at the start of the programme. You coud argue that if the Mueller stuff gets people through the door and they stay long enough to learn about some of the other shite the Republcans are up to, that's a good thing.

Also, it's hardly surprising that speculation about the investigation is intense at a time when Trump is hinting he might fire Mueller - that would be a hugely significant and fateful development.

In 8 months there has not been a dicky bird ourt of Mueller then in the first public statement Mueller's spokesperson uses the word criminal twice.

Peter Carr, Special Counsel spokesman: “When we have obtained emails in the course of our ongoing criminal investigation, we have secured either the account owner’s consent or appropriate criminal process.”

Also, it's hardly surprising that speculation about the investigation is intense at a time when Trump is hinting he might fire Mueller - that would be a hugely significant and fateful development.

To say the least. The chain of events following that would, in my estimation, give us too close to an even chance of losing the republic altogether, in favor of a kleptocracy that pretends to be a constitutional republic.

"President Donald Trump is saying he is not considering firing special counsel Robert Mueller. Trump returned to the White House from Camp David on Sunday and was asked if he was considering dismissing the man investigating whether there was collusion between the president’s Republican presidential campaign and Russian officials. He answered, “No, I’m not,” and did not elaborate further." https://apnews.com/574387d4495f4c74...n=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP

As he didn't call it out as fake news, I reckon he is planning on firing him. But he may be too stupid to know how to do it.

"President Donald Trump is saying he is not considering firing special counsel Robert Mueller. Trump returned to the White House from Camp David on Sunday and was asked if he was considering dismissing the man investigating whether there was collusion between the president’s Republican presidential campaign and Russian officials. He answered, “No, I’m not,” and did not elaborate further." https://apnews.com/574387d4495f4c74...n=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP

As he didn't call it out as fake news, I reckon he is planning on firing him. But he may be too stupid to know how to do it.

He could be "not considering" it because he's already made his decision...

Well to fire Muller has to come from the acting AG. He stated last week his support and confidence in Muller. Trump then would have to first fire him unless he caves.

I think Trump will try to find a way but it really could backfire, Muller's team have already got a lot of information which by whatever path I don't see going away.

Move on, Flinn. Your support for Trump is becoming more than tiresome.

Back to topic, I would be surprised if Trump did not see out his term, and it may even, assuming he does not press the button, be a good thing, as it might wake the electorate up to the flaws in their cherished political system.

Really Max? Jaysus will you ever get over your biases?

Sure the Clinton's are corrupt but this doesn't excuse Trump's team of criminals
"The don't look here - look over there " tactic is really a PITA

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back