advertisement

Trump Part 11

Status
Not open for further replies.
joe.

i'm trying to imagine future history text-books with picture of trump tweets in them. will that be seen as normal?

Vuk,

Assuming we survive it, I suspect the Trump presidency will be seen as some sort of a Dark Age, ironically at a time when unparalleled troves of data and knowledge are at people's finger tips.

Joe

I think he actually says big league but the way he pronounces it comes across as biggly, in the context he uses it neither are good and certainly not presidential. # Dotard

Are you sure he's not referring to a 'big leak'? Could be either of the Russian kind or the golden shower variety. Maybe he's trying to say that he suffers from incontinence?

Vuk,

Assuming we survive it, I suspect the Trump presidency will be seen as some sort of a Dark Age, ironically at a time when unparalleled troves of data and knowledge are at people's finger tips.

Joe

Hopefully history will be able record the time following trump as a political renaissance.

Whether we survive is still open to debate following today's Senate hearing on authority to use nuclear weapons.

Can they stop Trump in reality, under pressure, with just seconds to make the decision?

Not clear. They don't know. They'll decide when it happens. Maybe toss a coin.

"Retired Gen Robert Kehler ... told the Senate committee that he would have refused to have carried out a nuclear first strike on presidential orders, if he believed it did not meet the requirements of proportionality and necessity under the law of armed conflict.
“I would have said: I’m not ready to proceed,” Kehler said.
“Then what happens?” he was asked.
“I don’t know,” he replied. “Fortunately, these are all hypothetical scenarios. There is the human factor in our system. There is a human element to this.
“It would be a very interesting constitutional situation, I believe. The military is obligated to follow legal orders but is not obligated to follow illegal orders ... If there is an illegal order presented to the military, the military is obligated to refuse to follow it. The question is the process leading to that determination and how you arrive at that. I would concede to you that would be a very difficult process and a very difficult conversation.”
Ed Markey, a Democratic senator from Massachusetts who is sponsoring legislation that would limit the president’s authority to launch a first nuclear strike, said he was not reassured by Kehler’s arguments
“I don’t have confidence that a military chain of command would reject an order by the president to launch nuclear weapons in a preventative nuclear war situation ... I think that would be abdicating the responsibility of the US Congress to a group of generals who in many instances would have been appointed by the commander-in-chief, Donald Trump. That’s a very thin reed on which to have the fate of the planet being dependent.”"

I believe we're at 'get the pop corn in' time for tomorrow according to some social media sites.... will see soon enough

https://boingboing.net/2017/11/13/subtle-typographic-hint.html

Make-Trump-Tweets-Eight-Again.jpg

Yes it looks like I was right. He really is saying 'big leaks' and wears a big nappy (or diaper if you're American) to contain them.

I hear he got a big football-shaped toy last Christmas and he can't wait to try it out, but his nanny won't let him.

Drood,

The primary source of this breach, to make a long story short, is the US conservative movement’s rejection of the mainstream institutions devoted to gathering and disseminating knowledge (journalism, science, the academy) — the ones society has appointed as referees in matters of factual dispute.

Rush4CornersofDeceitUniversePIX.jpg

If Rush Limbaugh has no use for science, he should try broadcasting without it. And he should try lowering his blood pressure by waving chicken feet over his heart. In short: He should put his money where his big mouth is.

Joe

The nightmare scenario:

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/11/2/16588964/america-epistemic-crisis

In brief, what if Mueller nails Trump and he still has enough support to remain President?

If what is suggested in that article does indeed happen, and facts, evidence, and science cease to matter, then the CHAOS (Crazy Hideous Age Of Stupid) will reach its final stage, and will almost certainly end very abruptly as the human race destroys itself.

For the sake of the planet, and humanity, then we must make sure that this tide of ignorance is stopped. It's stuff like this that scares the hell out of me and has kept me awake on a few nights.

Something else that worries me is that if it was proved that Russia did interfere in the US elections, then how would the US retaliate? For something this serious then I suspect that Russia would perhaps be punished somewhat more severely than a few sanctions.

Something else that worries me is that if it was proved that Russia did interfere in the US elections, then how would the US retaliate? For something this serious then I suspect that Russia would perhaps be punished somewhat more severely than a few sanctions.
It's my understanding that it has been well and truly substantiated. How would the US retaliate? Simple, it wouldn't do more than it currently is doing. After all, the Soviet Union was a much deadlier enemy than is present-day Russia, a bitter ideological foe, yet it only ever came to proxy wars, fought through third parties, plus espionage, plus generally snarling and growling at each other.

It's my understanding that it has been well and truly substantiated. How would the US retaliate? Simple, it wouldn't do more than it currently is doing. After all, the Soviet Union was a much deadlier enemy than is present-day Russia, a bitter ideological foe, yet it only ever came to proxy wars, fought through third parties, plus espionage, plus generally snarling and growling at each other.

What I meant was the investigations are still ongoing. We don't how much dirt they will dig up and how far-reaching it will ultimately be. The worse it gets, the more serious will be the response, presumably.

Is interfering with an election in a foreign state technically and legally an act of war, or is it something that could be dealt with by closing down some embassies and expelling a few planeloads of diplomats and functionaries?

I imagine that given the recent hacking at the NSA the US may be currently spending some time getting its cyber defenses in order before it considers any offensive moves against Russia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back