advertisement

Trout Mask Replica, Blue Bizarre label

aedagnino

pfm Member
Had to share this... just bought a copy of the Trout Mask Replica pressing with the Blue Bizarre labels and have been comparing it to an early 2000's pressing I had and it's no effing contest! This kicks it out of the earth's atmosphere. It's so much better, highs are just right, now I can hear the bass and the Captain's voice sounds much more real. As an example, the guitar in Moonlight in Vermont has a really rough distortion that I had only heard once and that's the mono mix of The Beatles's Revolution single version. It sounds so similar and heavy. On my previous copy it just sounds muffled.

I paid a pretty penny but it's so worth it!

I only have a pink/yellow label Straight copy (which I managed to get a few years back for a good price), but that still beat my Reprise copy from the 70s.

So, now I wonder how much better the blue Bizarre might be. I'm sure it was worth what ever you paid for this classic. I've never seen one.

The blue Bizarre label pressing is, I think, the second pressing that was available. They used the same stampers for the original Straight (cover actually says Straight on mine) but it came out in the Zappa imprint, which was Bizarre. So it's as close as it gets to a first pressing. And it seems to be quite rare as you say.

advertisement

Back