1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Trip to England, your advice please

Discussion in 'off topic' started by ariegur, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Mullardman

Mullardman Resident Philistine

Also Nottingham, my home town. I realise that it is not on the regular trail, but a unique and underrated city nonetheless.
    The castle with all the Robin Hood stuff.
    A lovely river embankment.
    Unique caves under the City.
    Several of the oldest pubs in England
    The Lacemarket.

And Nottingham Goose Fair.. which has been held starting the first Thursday in October for more than 600 years...

:)

2. sls4321

sls4321 pfm Member

Oxford and Cambridge are north of Watford. I love Scotland, my wife and I went there on our first holiday, but I wouldn't send an Israeli there in October.

Arye is from Haifa. Half my and my wife's families are Israeli or live in Israel, including her parents. (My in-laws live 2 minutes from Teddy Pardo.) Sending an Israeli on a pub crawl around Liverpool or Nottingham is very amusing given there is no drinking culture in Israel. I live in England and haven't had a drink in a pub for as long as I can remember. My office is next door to a pub and in 8 years I've never been in it.

There's a reason why 19 million tourists visit London, because it's one of the greatest cities in the world. Tower of London, Westminster, South Ken (Natural History and V&A), Greenwich, Hampton Court, Tate Modern, St Paul's, the wobbly bridge and Selfridges (all Israeli's go to Selfridges) will fill a week in London easily. Plus a day trip to Oxford, easier than Cambridge as the train station is central.

And there's also a great Israeli restaurant in town, at last.
    https://www.standard.co.uk/goingout...ews-honey-smoke-sweet-sensation-a3384946.html

3. gintonic

gintonic Pussy Lover

My wife did scream out loud on a couple of occasions.......a fantastic drive...

4. canonman

canonman Mirror slapper

Only 100+ years younger than Hull Fair then...:)

5. sls4321

sls4321 pfm Member

... and only about 10,000 years younger than Jericho.

6. Still

Still gyldengourd

The oldest Scotland can provide is circa 5600 y.o. dwellings (link).

7. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Shall no one speak for Clacton?

8. Mullardman

I just checked. Nottm Goose Fair has 'more than 720 years of history'. :)

9. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Imagineer

You could go to the birthplace of the industrial revolution:

[​IMG]
    Ironbridge (the first one in the world)

or to a historic castle attached to a medieval walled town in beautiful countryside and with a culture of food and drink (maybe not Kosher though)

[​IMG]
    Ludlow

Lots to see and do in England away from London and crowded Oxford.

10. Mullardman

With respect my friend I think you need to be a little less sensitive. Arye is asking about ways to see and experience Britain. I'd be surprised if he wants a guide as to how to duplicate the Israel experience in the UK, so your trumpeting of your knowledge of Israel is hardly relevant. London is a 'given', but the rest is hugely varied and I think my quip about Watford still has validity despite your response.( It is something of a northern UK 'truism' that many in 'That London', know little of life, or indeed geography, 'north of Watford'.)

Oxford and Cambridge both have their merits, obviously, and some interesting attractions, but it's also arguable that once you've seen one Oxford quad, or one set of incompetent Cambridge students falling out of punts.. you've seen them all..

Also, the fact that I mention pubs and clubs is simply information. I am not advocating a pub crawl.. That seems to be more a function of your apparent dislike of alcohol. In Liverpool the Cavern in particular ought to be on the itinerary of anyone with an interest in popular music. It is open from midday to late everyday, has free admission, live music, lots to see, and a bar from which the purchase of alcohol is entirely optional. It is visited by people of all ages, from all cultures and all countries.The thing is , there is no compulsion to enter any establishment just because I have mentioned it and there is no compulsion to consume alcohol if you do. All UK pubs serve soft drinks or coffee/tea. I also mentioned two cathedrals but I'm not religious at all, nor am I advocating conversion to Christianity. They are simply valid attractions.
    Disappointingly, there is no bar in Liverpool Central Library... :rolleyes:

Mull

11. sls4321

sls4321 pfm Member

No worries, just been on a cathedral tour of Spain. Have no issue with good wine and Belgian beer, just don't do pubs. No problem with Up North, have an office in Manchester and a son in Leeds. Scotland is spectacular, but it needs time and good weather, and it would be silly to rush it. If I wanted to see Scotland from Israel, would fly direct to Glasgow and not come to London, but he wants to come to London. I've been through Northumberland, but it's a big drive. The South West I would suggest has many more options and is much better in October. I would give completely opposite advice for a trip in July.
    My good friend from Haifa lived in Liverpool for 4 years and is probably the only Israeli who can do a near perfect Scouse accent. But you've got to be a Beatles devotee to go to Liverpool for the day to see the Cavern Club. Much easier to do the zebra crossing thing outside Abbey Road with all the other tourists.
    Who know's what Arye's tastes are. Perhaps he could tell us.
    p.s. Hofesh Schechter, one of Israel's leading choreographers, has his new show at Sadlers Wells. Had tickets last night. Was brilliant.

12. canonman

canonman Mirror slapper

Yep, just 6 years younger than Hull now (which was about what I recall from my yoof)

What was the first one like?:D

13. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Imagineer

So if you want to do London +

What about:

Hampton Court
    Winchester
    Bath
    York
    Oxford

all easily reachable by train from London.

14. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

Dungeness.

Pete

15. gintonic

gintonic Pussy Lover

Foulness Island, Southend, Canvey Island and Ramsgate Margate

16. Re-Joyce

Re-Joyce ... Jason H that is.

England:

Dorset for beaches and slightly less busy than Cornwall
    Oxford and Cambridge for the colleges
    Peak / Lake district for scenery
    London for city excitement

Jason

17. slavedata

slavedata pfm Member

Someone is really having a laugh here,complete the set and go through Dartford en route from one set of holes to another.

18. Mullardman

Fair

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

19. Ibbots

Ibbots pfm Member

Wigan - home of the Uncle Joe's Mint Ball, Vimto, a pier that isn't, and pie enthusiasts.

Direct connection to London Euston on the West Coast Mainline, only 2 hrs to one of the bleakest town centre railway stations in the country.

20. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Leave Ramsgate out of those. A bit seedy it may be, but boasts a superb marina/sea front and lots of lovely Victorian houses.