advertisement

Trip to England, your advice please

I like London, great city with loads to do but it's expensive, then go to Cambridge which is fantastic especially if you like history and the people there are really nice.

I would also go to Brighton and Cornwall, you can get the train from London to both about a 90 minute journey.

I would avoid Scotland on this trip it's just too far and too much to try to cram in, furthest north I would go would be the Lakes which are beautiful and Keswick is the best place for a quick visit but it's really touristy in a nice way however.

However if you do go to Scotland I would take the train to Edinburgh if I were you and that will give you a taste of what it's like, great city Edinburgh and you could always take the train through to Glasgow for the day from Edinburgh then get the train back to London from Glasgow.

Good luck.

Tony

River taxi in London is good. It will enable you to see how thoroughly the planners 'brown enveloped' Boris J and Ken K into permitting the most spectacular bypassing of any notion of aesthetic. London's Thameside is an almost biblical parable in missed opportunity.

In the beginning of October my wife and I will tour England for two weeks. It will be my first time in England.
We will be in London for 3 days and will travel for the rest of the days. First, we don't know know if to start in London or to visit London in the last 3 days.

Pretty much everywhere else in the UK is more relaxing than London, so I would do anywhere/everywhere else first, and finish off in London

What's your arrival point into the country? Airport at London? One of the passenger ports? Eurostar?

Scotland is roughly four hours away by train (King's Cross to Edinburgh, or Euston to Glasgow). You can get flights to Edinburgh, Glasgow and other cities, but by the time you get to the airport, pass security, and go through baggage claim at the other end, it's no quicker in the long run.

The London-Edinburgh service stops at York, Berwick-upon-Tweed, so you have the option of stopping off for a few days at either of those.

Is car hire on your agenda, or will you be going by public transport services at all times?

Thank you all again. We are arriving to London Airport. We have decided to skip Scotland in this visit.

Arye

Go to The Imperial War Museum whilst in London, what was an already good museum is excellent since it's refurbishment.

Cheers BB

Birthplace of the industrial revolution, Manchester and Liverpool, two fantastic cities full of incredible architecture, museums, galleries, concert halls and steeped in history, both huge contributors to popular culture /music and full of friendly welcoming locals-also very handy for the lakes and Chester.

I like London, great city with loads to do but it's expensive, then go to Cambridge which is fantastic especially if you like history and the people there are really nice.

I would also go to Brighton and Cornwall, you can get the train from London to both about a 90 minute journey.

I would avoid Scotland on this trip it's just too far and too much to try to cram in, furthest north I would go would be the Lakes which are beautiful and Keswick is the best place for a quick visit but it's really touristy in a nice way however.

However if you do go to Scotland I would take the train to Edinburgh if I were you and that will give you a taste of what it's like, great city Edinburgh and you could always take the train through to Glasgow for the day from Edinburgh then get the train back to London from Glasgow.

Good luck.

Tony

Cornwall is rather more than 90 minutes form London! It is 3.5 Hours to Plymouth, before you even get into Cornwall!. And Penzance still has a sleeper service. I love Cornwall but it is pretty limited by train

Hmmm, nature and history in October...The weather can be quite bad (as in wet and miserable): you need some flexibility so that you can switch from indoors to outdoors depending on the weather, and good rain gear. Fortunately, there is so much to see in this country in the way of castles, mansions and stately homes, cathedrals, to keep you busy even if it rains for the whole two weeks of your stay.

Although the country is quite compact, there is so much to see that it makes sense to concentrate on a couple of areas rather than rush around doing a Top10 bucket list.

The Lake District is beautiful for serious walking. West Sussex is more gentle but also good for walking (lots of trails around the South Downs, the famous white cliffs between Seaford and Eastbourne, cute villages everywhere like Amberley, Petworth), also the New Forest near Southampton (incl. Beaulieu or Buckler's Hard). Also the scenery in Wiltshire (around Marlborough, Devizes, etc.), the coast in Dorset and Devon, Cornwall too (although it is further, it takes the best part of a day to get there from London)... So pick one or two of these areas.

You will need several days in London, indeed you could spend a week there and only scratch the surface. Despite what some of the haters here suggest, it is an attractive city (much improved from the 60-70s) with a lot to offer the tourist. You must see the classic tourist area, essentially between Knightsbridge and Covent Garden: work your way from the Victoria & Albert museum, pop into Harrods, see Buckingham Palace, the Mall and St James' Palace/Square/Park, Westminster Abbey, Parliament, Whitehall, the London Eye, Trafalgar Square and National Gallery, Soho and Covent Garden. Then you must go to the area around the Tower of London, and see St Paul's and the Tate Modern on the way. Maybe take in a concert at the Southbank Centre: good views of the Thames from the bar terrace upstairs. If you have time, push on to Greenwich for the Cutty Sark clipper museum and some fine Ch. Wren architecture. The river bus can be a good way to get around.

Just outside London: if you're interested in history, you must see Hampton Court and/or Windsor. You might consider getting a yearly pass for Historic Royal Palaces, which will get you into Hampton Court, the Tower of London, Kensington Palace, Kew and a few others: it can work out cheaper even if you don't return. Doesn't cover Windsor unfortunately. https://www.hrp.org.uk/#gs.tzghc9E If in Windsor, you can also take a look at Eton and see the Thames around Henley and Marlow.

Outside London: Oxford or Cambridge are classics, also Bath. Bath can be combined with Bristol and a visit to Stonehenge (nicely renovated now), Salisbury (nice cathedral) and some of the market towns on the way. But you will need to rent a car (and learn to drive on the "wrong" side, changing gears with your left hand; better still: get an automatic). If you go to Cambridge, Ely, Bury St Edmunds and Norwich can be a good circuit if you want to see cathedrals. Last but not least: Canterbury in Kent (beautiful and historically cathedral in a fairly well preserved town. Lots of tourists, but maybe October will be quieter).

No mention of the northeast and Northumberland?

Some lovely and very interesting places there, including plenty castles (Alnwick, Bamburgh etc.), Lindisfarne, Durham Cathedral and other bits & bobs....

Always thought the Lake District was hugely overrated, would never call it a 'must see'. It's a 'lite' version of some decent hills and lochs in the west coast of Scotland.

Or just get Eurostar to Paris. Only a couple of hours.

Mind you, if you love urban sprawl with no real centre where the local population is oblivious to everything except money and themselves, you might enjoy London.

Would second get the train to York see York then hire a car. Dependent on the weather forecast go to National parks Lakes, North Yorkshire or Dales. Train back to London and finish trip around London tourist sites.

I visit UK from time to time, as my brother lives in London. There are some great recommendations here on what to see outside London. When I went to Scalford for the first time, I had to rent a car, and visited Bath. It was a real eye opener, England is beautiful outside of London. We also visited Oxford, very nice. Next time I rent a car I plan on going to Norwich. Would love to see York, but I guess it's too far from London.
As for London, my two favourite things to do is a pub crawl along the Thames, and Kew Gardens.
Worst thing about driving an RHD car is not that you have to drive on the left or that the gearbox on the left, but the fact that the most of the car is to your left and not to your right. I nearly scratched the car leaving the rental place.

October can be nice in the UK weather wise, but also can be grim, so you'll need to have the correct clothing.
Whatever the weather it's going to feel relatively cold compared to home!

London is always busier at the weekend, so I would visit there mid week.
T'UK is big so personal travelling preference would be to spend three to four nights in a few places.
I rather spend maximum time seeing things, and less time travelling.

How are you planning on getting around the UK?
Be warned most train and all plane services are horrifically expensive if you buy a ticket last minute.
istr you are a professional driver, so guess you'll be hiring a car.
As a general rule the UK roads are busier, and drivers more impatient, the closer to London and the S.E. you are.

Hope you have a great visit :)

When I've travelled overseas I've always found it best to focus on 1 or 2 areas than try and cram in too much geography. If you're starting in London, I'd be tempted to head west, maybe via Henley, Marlborough, Avebury through to Bath. You could then drop down to the Jurassic coast (Dorset) and head back up via Stonehenge and Salisbury or head up to Cheltenham, the Cotswolds, over to Oxford and back to London. Easy to go up to Scotland for 2 weeks but you'll see nothing else. Likewise with the far South West, miles from anywhere and can be very grim if the weather is bad as everything is shut out of season.

I'm sure you'll have a great trip but just be prepared for huge variation in the weather!

Don't visit Northumberland. It's crap. Nothing of interest. Visit all the other places people are recommending.

Cornwall is rather more than 90 minutes form London! It is 3.5 Hours to Plymouth, before you even get into Cornwall!. And Penzance still has a sleeper service. I love Cornwall but it is pretty limited by train

Thought Looe was only about ninety minutes away, no?

I live in from Glasgow so I'm probably wrong.

advertisement

Back