advertisement

Top 10: Worst ever band names

Modest Mouse should be in top 10- actually they're not bad at all & had/have Johnny Marr in.

When I first saw the press release announcing this, I immediately thought of when Andy Bell (then unemployed, post-Ride) announcing he was joining Gay Dad. A week later he was in Oasis. I'm not sure what this means but it's a waste of guitary talent in all three examples IMHO.

I'll start with:

A-Ha
Big Country
Bread
Deep Purple
The Doors
Echo and the Bunnymen
Jesus Jones
Kiss
Mike and the Mechanics

Watch this space...

Even though Prefab Sprout are my favourite band of all time (probably) I agree the name is terrible.
Another truly awful name is 'Jolene & The Jing Jang Jong' - WTF?
How about 'Does It Annoy You, Yeah'
Another stupid one is 'Vampire Weekend' - ironically 'Weekend Vampire' is IMO a super name!
Gary

It's all very personal. I love the band name "Biff Naked" and a friend of mine hates it with an ear covering "LA LA LA NOT LISTENING" kind of hatred. Weird.

Listening to Test Match Special yesterday and they were suggesting that if you do he bank password thing of <name of first pet> + <mother's maiden name> you get a name that always sounds like a famous serious rock band guitarist. I think Bill Frindall's was Ginger McVane. I just thought that if I were a bank account and credit card scammer, I love this to become a game everyone played. hmmm...

There was a indie night at La Bateau in Liverpool back in the 80s called Club Foot, I played there a couple of times.

There's nothing new is there :rolleyes: I just had an early tea in a small bar/restaurant who host some DJs billed a the "Yes, we'll play it later DJs", which I thought was quite amusing.

There was a great John Peel line I heard about "That was '****', clearly a band who never expect to get beyond my show."

There was a great John Peel line I heard about "That was '****', clearly a band who never expect to get beyond my show."

I've got a couple of their singles, surprisingly quaint melodic folky stuff. Rather good. Their album was called 'Pardon My French'.

Tony.

My prog rock name is river dimension ???

When i was a lad I made two real dim mistakes. I thought why the hell is Queen called queen aren't they a rock band. I was then shocked to find out that Freddie (Bless and respect) was gay. Doh.

A second occasion I was trying to be cool when talking to a really cool chick. She told me that she was into Pink Floyd. I had no idea who they were as I was a useless *anker. Like a twerp i told her that i thought they were great. I discovered later that she was right! To be honest i could be forgiven as I was about 13 and my first PF record was umma gumma. Pink Floyd !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So here's my top 10 dullest, crappiest band names I can think of..

1. Orange Juice (words fail me)
2. The Sweet (wtf?)
3. The Postal Service (perhaps the dullest of all)
4. Snow Patrol (why?)
5. Elbow (zzz)
6. Ting Tings (grow UP!)
7. CSS (unless it stands for summink very interesting)
8. The Hollies (pansy)
9. Band (f**k off)
10. The Cranberries (strewth)

f**k me these are terrible. I mean what posseses s'one to call their band these?!?

You hate all these bands, that's why you hate their names? You are an angry young man. :)

!!!

What's that all about?

Whatever you want it to be about I think. According to Wikipedia quoting their website "!!! is pronounced by repeating thrice any monosyllabic sound. Chk Chk Chk is the most common pronunciation, but they could just as easily be called wiki wiki wiki, Pew Pew Pew, Bam Bam Bam, Uh Uh Uh, wang wang wang, etc." ... I think its rather good. Confusing if you chose the syllable Yeah.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs ... that's a shit name.

When I was a lad...

We had "The Less than Happy Band""

Enough said.

BTW - with the exception of Stoj we were probably the worst musicians (and I use that term in the loosest sense possible) ever. But we had fun.

advertisement

Back