advertisement

Toe-tapping 'musical' speakers for hybrid amps?

rescuest3ve

pfm Member
Well hello,

I was hoping some of you fine people might be able to offer some advice on some speakers I can audition: some really musical small-ish floorstanders or large standmounters? Preferably that would work with a Copland CSA29 hybrid amp, because I love that bugger and don't want rid yet. I'm currently in the market for some new speakers after coming the realisation that my new-to-me Kef Reference 103/4s are just a bit too highly-strung and hard-etched for me to enjoy. I'm finding myself reaching for the remote to switch music a lot, which isn't great. I've tried positioning and have a rug down in front of them, but I suspect they're just not working with the new room, and I can't look into too much room-treatment as the Mrs won't be having it. The midrange, soundstage and detail of the Kefs, I'll admit, are very very good, but I'm just not enjoying the music - it's as if it's almost too separated? Too 'hifi' for the sake of being 'hifi' if you see what I mean?

I also have a pair of Tannoy Lancasters (15" monitor golds) which I love, but are sadly too big for my new living room and will be in storage, hence the purchase of the KEFs, which I picked up for a steal. If I could find anything with the nice balance of non-fatiguing warmth and dash of drama / musicality like the tannoys, but with the KEF detailing and soundstaging, I think I would have finally found nirvana. Anyone know of anything like that? I'll obviously be auditioning them, but would be good to get a steer.

My taste in music is quite varied - metal/indie to electronica to classic pop, even a smidgeon of classical from time to time, so they'd have to be chameleon-like with a bit of oopmh and definitely non-fatiguing so i can listen to more than half an hour. The living room is a funny-shaped open-plan one: 12ft width (stereo to sofa) by 25ft window to kitchen, and price bracket up to maybe £2500. From what I've read already, perhaps some proacs?

Thanks a lot :) I'll get a craft ale in the post for the person who suggests the one I end up buying!

Know what you mean. I've had the Copland 28 hybrid with upgraded valves but it didn't match the ribbons on my Decware speakers. I could have tried different tweeter resistances for the Decwares as they are easy to change, but the amp was a trifle large for my shelfing and so it had to go. Changing the speakers were not an option as they were given the seal of approval (aesthetically) by SWMBO. I never tried running them with my Copland, but the grooviest speakers I've ever had were Guru QM10s. They really worked well with my Linx MOSFETs. The prices have gone stratospheric (£2k new), but if you can seek out a used pair for under £600, then they would be hard to beat.

Yeah, I've heard good things about them! Apparently work wonderfully with Naim gear? I guess if it is the Copland that's misbehaving, then i'll consider selling, but it's sounded so nice with a couple of other speakers I've heard - plus the mrs thinks it looks nice - I'm reluctant to see it go. Cheers for the recommendation, though. I'll keep an eye out.

Looks like Stereophile thought the same - Quote - "Higher up in the frequency range, however, the 103/4 exhibited problems. While different in character from those noted in the Fried R/4 (also reviewed in this issue), they nevertheless produced, in the KEFs, a rather crisp, slightly top-heavy quality which lent an impressive clarity to the sound, but which tended to be overly analytical. Percussion had excessive zip, and isolated HF notes pushed unnaturally forward."
Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/kef-reference-series-1034-loudspeaker#MU1hCQu3eX8V4Q6I.99

Perhaps some of these ?

Snell / Audio Note K
Russell K
Guru Junior
Rega RX
Proac/Celef various

defo try some proac floorstanders , they are quite small but very musical and the d20 ribbon is most certainly in your bracket

audio consultants have a nice maple pair for 1950 ex demo

some nice ref a speakers might be good

emporium have a pair

http://www.emporiumhifi.com/pre-owned/ref-3a-grand-veena-loudspeakers/

maybe some nice harbeth shl5 plus . take the copland to guildford audio and try some . might be the one here are some for you in your budget

http://guildfordaudio.co.uk/products/product/408-harbeth-hl5-loudspeakers-cherry

Cracking, that's rally helpful thanks. The D20Rs were something i was looking at, actually, and will most likley demo a pair in the coming weeks. Cheers.

heard the proac dt8 recently and for 2k its impressive with its wood veneer and looks the business . apparently they are selling well , get a listen to some perhaps

and the new 40th anniversary dynaudio is DEFO worth a listen i think , i was chatting to a chap in simgapore about one and he is well impressed

Snell / Audio Note AN-K is a good shout. Very musical, easy to integrate into a room, when I had a pair they responded very well to a 100W Quad power amp with valve pre.

Well hello,

I was hoping some of you fine people might be able to offer some advice on some speakers I can audition: some really musical small-ish floorstanders or large standmounters? Preferably that would work with a Copland CSA29 hybrid amp, because I love that bugger and don't want rid yet. I'm currently in the market for some new speakers after coming the realisation that my new-to-me Kef Reference 103/4s are just a bit too highly-strung and hard-etched for me to enjoy. I'm finding myself reaching for the remote to switch music a lot, which isn't great. I've tried positioning and have a rug down in front of them, but I suspect they're just not working with the new room, and I can't look into too much room-treatment as the Mrs won't be having it. The midrange, soundstage and detail of the Kefs, I'll admit, are very very good, but I'm just not enjoying the music - it's as if it's almost too separated? Too 'hifi' for the sake of being 'hifi' if you see what I mean?

I also have a pair of Tannoy Lancasters (15" monitor golds) which I love, but are sadly too big for my new living room and will be in storage, hence the purchase of the KEFs, which I picked up for a steal. If I could find anything with the nice balance of non-fatiguing warmth and dash of drama / musicality like the tannoys, but with the KEF detailing and soundstaging, I think I would have finally found nirvana. Anyone know of anything like that? I'll obviously be auditioning them, but would be good to get a steer.

My taste in music is quite varied - metal/indie to electronica to classic pop, even a smidgeon of classical from time to time, so they'd have to be chameleon-like with a bit of oopmh and definitely non-fatiguing so i can listen to more than half an hour. The living room is a funny-shaped open-plan one: 12ft width (stereo to sofa) by 25ft window to kitchen, and price bracket up to maybe £2500. From what I've read already, perhaps some proacs?

Thanks a lot :) I'll get a craft ale in the post for the person who suggests the one I end up buying!
Sonus Faber

NVA Cube 1's, 30 day money back guarantee if you don't like them. They will surprise you, but don't hang about I'd like the free beer before Xmas. :)

advertisement

Back