advertisement

Tips for cycling prep

Just done a 35miler.
Strava says 1177 calories and Garmin Connect 1900 calories.
Thought I'd download the Strava app to my iPhone. I assume I can use it as a free version for the basics?
Yes you can, the free version is fine.

However, in a beautifully ironic twist I managed to pull something in my back this morning, leaning over to lift my bike out the garage. I couldn't even drive, so had to get a lift in!

Feels like one of those 24/48 hour things though - nothing actually serious, so fingers crossed will be cycling this week.

Life, don't you just hate it?

What you can do when you are happy with the 4 miles is loop out as I did when I lived 4.5 miles from work. Took me to around 10 max, but I had about 3 or 4 alternatives at different lengths.

What may take you by surprise is how enjoyable it becomes.
Then look out for the excuses to get out on the bike more.

Yes. Do get padded shorts sometime soon

............. And no harm in Strava for the mentally sound. It's at least a good way to log activity. There's even an unfinished PFM club to join.

Paul

Is this a PFM Strava group? I wasn't aware it was there as if so I'll pitch in with my modest efforts.

Regards,

Rob.

However, in a beautifully ironic twist I managed to pull something in my back this morning, leaning over to lift my bike out the garage. I couldn't even drive, so had to get a lift in!

Feels like one of those 24/48 hour things though - nothing actually serious, so fingers crossed will be cycling this week.

Life, don't you just hate it?

Yes, I find myself at an age whereby an agressive fart can put me out of action, ho hum. On the padded shorts front, you could consider these....

http://www.corinnedennis.co.uk/mens-extra-padded-shorts

Assuming the link takes you to double comfort shorts, if not that's where I wanted to steer you :)

They do them in grown up sizes, and they are very comfortable indeed, however not cheap, but they last well, mine have seen a lot of action and are still in great order. Good customer service too, which is nice. If you are self conscious about such garments you could always put a pair of baggy shorts or track suits bottoms over the top......but I don't care, I can take the wifes sniggers as I leave the house :)

S

First commute accomplished.

Well, one-way. I cheated and got dropped off with bike and padlocks/chains (to be left at work) this morning, and cycled home this evening. I failed to start Strava properly as it appears it came up with a T&C splash screen just after I put it back in my bag, having thought it had started. Never mind, I took a wrong turning anyway, so will record from tomorrow.

I'll be needing to use the shower at work it seems. I'm doing around 8-9mph average, and that's enough to get a bit hot.

It was fun though. In a masochistic way.

Wehay, welcome to the club.

Wear less clobber, it gets cooler. All you need in this weather is a none waterproof windbreaker, or gilet with decent armwarmers.

I was riding home last Thursday, and while still on site went over a mild speed bump. Oops. My saddle and seat post were no longer connected to each other, and I managed to stand up on the pedals just in time.....

Thankfully a workmate saw me waving at him, and he took me home in his Merc estate. Phew. It was at this point I realised that my old Trek 4500 is nearly 14 years old, worn out, and about to need a lot of money spending on it.

Well the upshot is, I'm hopefully taking delivery of a nice new green/grey Cube Analog this weekend. 29" wheels, Shimano hydraulic discs, and a decent fork are all firsts for me.

Roll on my first visit to Thetford forest in about ten years!

Simon, thanks. I'm going T-shirt and tracksuit bottoms for now. Lucky enough to have a shower at work, so for now I'll just leave early enough to get myself sorted.

Tony, glad you survived unscathed, and hope the new bike is a good'un.

You can get away without a shower. It's 15 minutes, 4 miles. Come on. Of course if you prefer to, that's up to you. I used to commute 6 milex ish when I was in France. Shower before breakfast, gear on, change at work. Usually some arm flapping in the changing room. Go home that evening, t shirt in wash. Never a problem with BO. Mind you, I was in France.

15 minutes - 4 miles.

That's approximately twice as fast as I'm able to do it at the moment.

I could possibly get away with no shower, but that's a ten minute saving for not a lot of benefit. And this 'ain't France! ;)

15 minutes - 4 miles.

That's approximately twice as fast as I'm able to do it at the moment.

I could possibly get away with no shower, but that's a ten minute saving for not a lot of benefit. And this 'ain't France! ;)
You'll get quicker. 12mph on flat ground is very easy to achieve without trying to be Lance Armstrong. The showering thing is a matter of choice, if you have a nice shower at work, crack on. The thing is that a 15 minute bike ride immediately after your shower in the morning, followed by 8 hours plus at a desk, doesn't add anything in real terms to any odour. It's the 8 hours at the desk when things get smelly, and the people who are fanatical about showering after 15 minutes exercise (or even half an hour) don't go running off at lunchtime to shower after 4 whole hours at a desk. It's choice though, if you have a nice shower at work and it makes you feel better, then great. Just don't fall into the trap of thinking it's a requirement and "well I would cycle in but there's no shower", which you do hear a lot. It's about #2 from the "Big book of excuses as to why I don't cycle in", and it's BS.

Not so. That depends on the climate and your speed. 5 minutes of cycling in the tropics, or on warm days elsewhere, renders showers compulsory.

No. Summer 2003, France, 25 minutes each way. Oui, la canicule. No shower necessary after the one in the morning.

When the office hits 30° and you are there for 8-10 hours, what difference does the first half hour on a bike make?

advertisement

Back