advertisement

Tips for cycling prep

4 miles twice a day on a bike won't do much about being fat. You just need to swallow a lot less less food. Not difficult.

Oddly, it does help a little. I'm not sure what Andy's motivation for posting is, but the heart of the issue is balancing intake and energy expenditure. Why folk like me get this wrong is complex, but there does indeed come a point where one has to take personal responsibility, and just do it. I have no real excuses (though, of course, others might).

I do love the community here though, and hope we generally continue to support one another whenever we can. In this case Andy's comments have pushed me in the right direction (I hope). All good.

Oddly, it does help a little. I'm not sure what Andy's motivation for posting is, but the heart of the issue is balancing intake and energy expenditure. Why folk like me get this wrong is complex, but there does indeed come a point where one has to take personal responsibility, and just do it. I have no real excuses (though, of course, others might).

I do love the community here though, and hope we generally continue to support one another whenever we can. In this case Andy's comments have pushed me in the right direction (I hope). All good.

Great attitude Whaleblue, I've enjoyed reading your posts and its motivated me to think about taking control of my weight/fitness levels. Hoping you will keep us updated with your progress. Best of luck fella

Andy is quite right. You also need to do a lot more exercise - add about 4-5 miles of walking, or double the cycling distance.

As to food, there are no short cuts. Keep your daily intake to around the 1500 calorie mark (depending) on the exercise, eat lots of salads, and lay off the alcohol. Your target should be to lose 1 - 2 kg per month. Might take 12 months, but you'll find that the pain of being constantly hungry does go away and your appetite will shrink to a level better suited to your body.

You honestly don't need an expensive saddle to find comfort, your bum just gets used to it after a few rides. I have a different saddle on each of my six bikes and never have a problem.

Four miles each way and I'd have been tempted to say ebike tbh as they are bloody brilliant for commuting on and you don't arrive in a sweaty mess.

Good luck anyway, I had a similar commute for 20 years and rode in every day whatever the weather - it's good for both body and mind!

Poorly set up saddle or riding position. Padded shorts do help but they aren't a must have, especially for 4 miles.

Actually, and I'd forgotten to add this to my post, it was a cheap oem saddle that was the main culprit. Ok, on a four mile ride that probably wouldn't matter, but I think the op will be riding further quite soon.

The OEM saddle was appallingly narrow. Switched it out for something 'normal' (by my standards) and now I can actually ride the thing!

@tyefighter, best of luck with your efforts too. Let us know how you get on with whatever you do (martial arts??).

Cheers all.

Don't expect miracles, I went from zero to regular 200km audax events, all at the same weight, never lost a bloody pound ha!

The OEM saddle was appallingly narrow. Switched it out for something 'normal' (by my standards) and now I can actually ride the thing!

@tyefighter, best of luck with your efforts too. Let us know how you get on with whatever you do (martial arts??).

Cheers all.

The name may suggest martial arts but sadly I'm more of a porky Star Wars fan. I do intend to get my bike out this summer, burning some calories while enjoying the sun.

The name may suggest martial arts but sadly I'm more of a porky Star Wars fan. I do intend to get my bike out this summer, burning some calories while enjoying the sun.

Aha - I'm more of a Big Bang Theory type, but I should have got the reference!

I'm off out today to see how the replacement saddle holds up.

I have just started cycling and couldn't believe how out of shape I was. Take it slowly and build up to your 4 mile each way goal. Go for a number weekend or evening practice runs.

High visibility jacket and gloves. Lights are essential after dusk - no lights is a £150 fine to anyone - (even 12 year olds)

good luck,I bet you will feel so much better so quickly.

M

You can get little bobby-dodger light for loose change, the little rubber things that clip on. In summer they are an ideal get you home if you get caught out late. For proper darkness and winter commuting you need proper lights.

Hi Whaleblue,

well first of all good luck. My own experience is that a decent pair of padded shorts and a 'technical shirt' of some variety are worth the money. As is a decent pair of cycling gloves.They don't have to cost a lot of money. I'd buy whatever motivates you to use that rather fine bike. The clothes will certainly make the taking up of cycling as a long-term hobby/pleasure more likely and I think it is those kind of changes you'll need to get your weight off and fitness up in the long-term.

I would also buy some other things too. A large pile of spices for a start. A good cookery book - something as simple as the Hairy Bikers' dieting cook book will help you understand the energy content of various foods and so put you in a good place to manage the food part of your life...and a decent set of weighing scales for the food and another for yourself. Weigh yourself and work out what your Basel Metabolic Rate is and then add a couple hundred calories to that. And stick to it. Weigh yourself once a week - no more. The weight will come off. I guarantee it. The fitness will come through cycling, slowly but surely. It will take a while but you'll be in a good place to keep the weight off.

advertisement

Back