advertisement

Tips for cycling prep

You're picking your bike up Friday, I think. So just go for a ride, and then do it again. It will be painful to start with, but every time you ride you will get better. Regardless of your weight.

People obsess about all sorts of details, but you can ride for an hour without water or food or cheap sunglasses or carbon soled cycling shoes.

I do recommend the carbon soles of course.

Paul

A eight mile steady commute each day is not going to loose you any weight if that is your goal but it is a start, changes to your diet will have far more effect.
Other tips never be tempted to ride listening to music your ears are one of your most important senses to oncoming danger;)

Also get in the mind set of using your pedal iron as transport, nip to the off licence for your fags on it, go to the barbers, milk and bread runs to the shops etc.

You don't have to be lycra clad to get on it, whatever your wearing is fine.....

S

A eight mile steady commute each day is not going to loose you any weight if that is your goal but it is a start, changes to your diet will have far more effect.
Other tips never be tempted to ride listening to music your ears are one of your most important senses to oncoming danger;)

Interestingly that's what I was told about walking 4 miles a day. I've lost half a stone doing that without any diet changes. The cycling will be similar calories burned from what I can work out, but I do plan to make some subtle, maintainable, changes to my diet. We'll see.

I think the 'no music' tip is a good one - sadly!

Also get in the mind set of using your pedal iron as transport, nip to the off licence for your fags on it, go to the barbers, milk and bread runs to the shops etc.

You don't have to be lycra clad to get on it, whatever your wearing is fine.....

S

Yes, I'm thinking of adding a rack. Otherwise it'll need to be a rucksack, and that'll not help in the keeping cool stakes.

Interestingly that's what I was told about walking 4 miles a day. I've lost half a stone doing that without any diet changes. The cycling will be similar calories burned from what I can work out, but I do plan to make some subtle, maintainable, changes to my diet. We'll see.

I think the 'no music' tip is a good one - sadly!

The diet thing is definitely true for significant loss but routine exercise will increase your calorie burn and as long as you don't eat more "because I cycled today" you should lose weight but it will be very slow unless you change the diet.

I posted about this topic about a year ago when I started on a weight loss program and decided to exercise every work day but linked to a food quantity reduction. I stopped snacking and reduced all my meal sizes and went to the gym every weekday morning before work and have kept it up.

Because I am not on a "diet" as such, just eating normally, but less, it has been fairly easy to maintain. I have lost a lot of weight now and have plateaued a bit but that is mainly down to not being as scrupulous with diet and also as there is less mass to feed, my needs reduce. I have lost around 4.5 stone and plan to keep going for a couple more but am pretty happy where I am currently. The exercise has become routine and I now do Parkrun on a Saturday so often doing something 6 days a week alternating high intensity and maintenance activities.

Good luck, it is a good thing you are doing!

No prep required for 4 miles. Make sure it all works, air in tyres, a spot of oil on the chain. Tracksuit for you, whatever is comfy, then enjoy your 20 minute ride. Don't go mad, steady away. As others say, you will lose weight and get fitter. Slowly, but it works.

Yes, I'm thinking of adding a rack. Otherwise it'll need to be a rucksack, and that'll not help in the keeping cool stakes.

Rack + panniers will be much more comfortable in the long run.

Picking a route to avoid scary roads is also good - the best cycling route is not always the same as the best driving route.

If you wear glasses I find a rear view mirror like this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001VTQNVO/?tag=pinkfishmedia-20

makes cycling on busy roads much more comfortable - no more nasty surprises from behind, and you know when it's safe to dodge potholes. I've used this model in the UK and US.

Hope it goes well - no matter what happens to your weight I expect you'll start feeling much fitter.

Forgetting weight loss for a moment, once you're in a position to push harder on the way home you'll be giving your heart five 20 minute workouts per week. Your gp will be very happy for you.

Quick thought: put some money by for a new wardrobe ;)

Picked the new bike up, and very pleased with it.

As a test I rode most of the way to work, and back. Just over six miles. The bike is not a feather-weight by road/racing carbon frame standards, but compared to my old Marin it most definitely is! The combination of new everything and skinny(ish) tyres means there is also significantly less rolling resistance.

But, good grief, my 'sit-bones ' are going to have to adapt a bit! Quite sore from just this one outing. I'll take a day off tomorrow and go for a shorter 3-4 miler on Sunday, then hopefully be OK to ride to work on Tuesday.

I have, however , ordered a Brooks B17 following all the positive comments from you lot I've seen in the various biking threads, so hopefully that'll be an improvement too.

if he is only doing a 4 mile commute then not necessary. For longer distances, padded shorts become compulsory unless you enjoy having your genitalia rubbed red raw.

if he is only doing a 4 mile commute then not necessary. For longer distances, padded shorts become compulsory unless you enjoy having your genitalia rubbed red raw.

It wasn't any rawness that prompted me into buying padded shorts. It was the numbness. I put my hand inside to find out why something felt a bit different, and it was like touching someone else's. :confused:

I told my wife about it, and she forced me to buy shorts and a suspension seat post.

It wasn't any rawness that prompted me into buying padded shorts. It was the numbness. I put my hand inside to find out why something felt a bit different, and it was like touching someone else's. :confused:

I told my wife about it, and she forced me to buy shorts and a suspension seat post.

Poorly set up saddle or riding position. Padded shorts do help but they aren't a must have, especially for 4 miles.

advertisement

Back