advertisement

Time Magazine Pix on The Opioid Crisis In America

jackbarron

Chelsea, London
Photographer James Nachtwey has taken a set of harrowing pictures for Time, which document the opioid crisis in America. They are in a special report on the magazine's website: http://time.com/james-nachtwey-opioid-addiction-america

He covers various areas: from using and sleeping in the street, through being arrested, to dying from an overdose or giving birth to an addicted child. There are pictures of people in withdrawal and comments from addicts, the police, counsellors and medical staff.

"Over the past 35 years, my work as a photojournalist has taken me to other countries to document wars, uprisings, natural disasters and global health crises," says James. "In revisiting my own country I discovered a national nightmare. But the people living through it aren’t deviants. They are ordinary citizens, our neighbors, our family members. I don’t think I met one user whom I would consider to be a bad person. No one wants to be an addict."

Some of the pictures are heartbreaking and might take a while to load. We're lucky the opioid crisis hasn't properly taken off in the UK yet.

Jack

Last edited:
The US is far more susceptible to opioid misuse than the UK because the big pharma companies have much more impact over there. In the States, doctors are paid commission to issue the drugs and people become dependent on them trying to avoid chronic pain stemming from a whole host of conditions. Somewhere along the line it becomes apparent that street heroin and synthetic opioids from China and Mexico are much cheaper, however, the quality is variable. Some synthetic drugs are 50 times more potent than heroin. The opioid crises has been declared a public health emergency by the Trump administration, but there is not much in the way of funding, surprise, surprise.

advertisement

Back