advertisement

Time for a motorbike list

I had my RD250LC tuned by a chap in Nottingham. He had a workshop in a shed at the bottom of this garden. He was quite popular but I can't remember his name?
There were 3 known 2-stroke tuners I recall: Stan Stephens, Padgetts and Terry Beckett.

I think Terry Becket was your man.

Honda CB200
Honda Superdream 250 - Nicked from garage.
Kawasaki xj400
Honda CX500
A rest for 10 years whilst the kids were small
Kawasaki ZX6 G2 ( Ithink it was the very one reviewed by men and motors on youtube.)
1998 Fireblade - A beautiful dark blue and gold colour.
2002 R1
2007 ZX10 Ninja - Bought from new and still in my possession. I don't ride as much as I used to, but I still take an annual pilgrimage abroad each year with some like minded friends.

Yes I did mine too. I remember getting a wood file from the garage, and without even taking the barrel off, just made the ports on my DT100 bigger. Made ****-all difference surprisingly.

Not one to be put off, I then had an MBX125, put an All Speed on it, K&N filter, filled the ATAC exhaust chamber with exhaust filler. Couldn't be arsed jetting it because it immediately went like stink. 3 weeks later, I put a hole in the piston trying to get a ton out of it down the Beverley bypass.

It was never right after that.

I had the 750 version. The last before it was restyled and got monoshock suspension (the "ES" IIRC, later "EFE"). Same styling as that one in the picture. It was not Suzuki's finest hour... Slow (117 approx.), heavy, handling and braking "adequate" rather than good. The earlier GS750 was better in every way. The restyled and modded monoshock version was reportedly a much better machine.
I had come from a GSX250, so I knew little better. The power on-tap, in comparison, was frightening. My last bike, a Yamaha FZR-1000W, was infinitely better in every way - but I did not feel the same attachment to it. The GSX1100 had soul.

Yes I did mine too. I remember getting a wood file from the garage, and without even taking the barrel off, just made the ports on my DT100 bigger. Made ****-all difference surprisingly.

Not one to be put off, I then had an MBX125, put an All Speed on it, K&N filter, filled the ATAC exhaust chamber with exhaust filler. Couldn't be arsed jetting it because it immediately went like stink. 3 weeks later, I put a hole in the piston trying to get a ton out of it down the Beverley bypass.

It was never right after that.

Oh I was a bit more scientific than that and had good results. I had "Two stroke tuning" by A. Graham Bell and loads of tuning articles by Matt Oxley in one of the bike mags which gave precise instructions. Ports were raised on exhausts, widened on transfers and lowered on inlets, radiused and matched to one another, heads lapped in without head gaskets to maximise squish, extra base gasket to raise transfers and inlets etc etc... Harpower reed valves with cut out and gas flowed reed cages, allspeed expansions, no air filter but airbox had to be kept or it just didn't run, 15 sizes up on standard main jets!! 2 clicks up on needle jet, Gold palladium plugs, pre mix in tank lube with racing 2 stroke oil, autolube not used. It was fun.

All this talk of old bike magazines has got me all nostalgic....I've just added an Ogri book to my Christmas list.

Ogri for Prime Minister!

Why would you not use Autolube Arkless? I thought it was one of the great inventions for 2T bikes.I like 2T engines for portable power: light, simple, powerful, reliable if using fresh fuel, but a PITA to be messing around premixing.

I don't have autolube on my dirt bike. There are 2 reasons my bike does not have it: weight and reliability.

Oh I was a bit more scientific than that and had good results. I had "Two stroke tuning" by A. Graham Bell and loads of tuning articles by Matt Oxley in one of the bike mags which gave precise instructions. Ports were raised on exhausts, widened on transfers and lowered on inlets, radiused and matched to one another, heads lapped in without head gaskets to maximise squish, extra base gasket to raise transfers and inlets etc etc... Harpower reed valves with cut out and gas flowed reed cages, allspeed expansions, no air filter but airbox had to be kept or it just didn't run, 15 sizes up on standard main jets!! 2 clicks up on needle jet, Gold palladium plugs, pre mix in tank lube with racing 2 stroke oil, autolube not used. It was fun.

Did it work ?

You must have been doing something right :)

Was put off thoughts of tuning my own RD after taking it to the local main dealer for a service, hammering it down the local dual-carriageway flat out with the new-found turn of speed, and then coasting to a halt with a holed left piston less than 15 minutes later. 'Nothing to do with us mate, must have been on its last legs before you brought it in' . Ended up paying them for the collection of the bike, new parts, and the repair work. Oh the gullibility of youth.

You must have been doing something right :)

Was put off thoughts of tuning my own RD after taking it to the local main dealer for a service, hammering it down the local dual-carriageway flat out with the new-found turn of speed, and then coasting to a halt with a holed left piston less than 15 minutes later. 'Nothing to do with us mate, must have been on its last legs before you brought it in' . Ended up paying them for the collection of the bike, new parts, and the repair work. Oh the gullibility of youth.
Lol same issue as me upthread except I did it myself. Since learnt that Increased air flow requires increased oil and fuel flow. One size up on the main jet would have probably avoided that.

Lol same issue as me upthread except I did it myself. Since learnt that Increased air flow requires increased oil and fuel flow. One size up on the main jet would have probably avoided that.
Depends on the cause. I holed a piston in my X7 halfway to London because the rubber boot around the air inlet was loose (my fault). This strikes me as the type of mistake that could be made servicing a bike. I was aware it was going remarkably well just before it failed but since this was my first bike the change in performance was not a cause for concern but (short lived) joy.

With 15 sizes up from standard mine had the Arkless-Yamaha TLPCS..... total loss petrol cooling system!

Depends on the cause. I holed a piston in my X7 halfway to London because the rubber boot around the air inlet was loose (my fault). This strikes me as the type of mistake that could be made servicing a bike. I was aware it was going remarkably well just before it failed but since this was my first bike the change in performance was not a cause for concern but (short lived) joy.

Y'know I often wondered what the cause was - had assumed they must have set the points wrongly, but that's another suspect, and given that they tend to make more power when running lean, a much more likely one. It was actually striking just how well the thing was going - right up to the melt-down :)

Tricky things strokers..too much oil in the mix and you displace fuel volume, which makes it run leaner, and more prone to seizing. Almost counterintuitive.

I think we are only disagreeing about the handling which I found a bit like an off road bike. It tended to want you to sit upright and push the bike down rather than the opposite. Good or bad handling often seems to follow how one goes about ri For example, the bike press in the 70s and 80s used to rave about the handling of Ducatis which went round corners on rails. I found this type of handling a p disliked the tendency of the X7 to turn in which I could live with in order to have something that would turn quickly.

I'm with you on that one. I found those first Ducati V twins, for all their engine lovliness, to be stupidly slow steering to almost comic degree. Ahoy, corner coming up...start counter-steering now.... No chance to change line if you needed to. That's what you get with 5 inches of trail, 30 degrees of rake and a long wheelbase. Maybe those who reacted positively to the Ducati's stability had had one too many scary moments aboard wobble-'sakis.

advertisement

Back