advertisement

Thorens TD124 idler wheel

Rajiv

Hi,

I need an idler wheel for my TD124.

Please suggest a source for these idler wheels.

Does anyone have the contact details for Mirko(?).I was told to look for his products on Ebay,but am unable to find them listed.

Regards
Rajiv

In my experience you need to sit quietly for many, many months watching eBay, and eventually a NOS original will appear, for which you will have to pay *a lot* of money. IIRC I payed £95 for one, which is clearly absurd, but it has dropped the rumble a fair amount. Another option if the rubber on your existing one is ok is to replace the bearing. There is an eBay seller who has just started selling replacement bushings link), one of which I've just bought as I suspect that's the main cause of the remaining rumble in my 124 - it has to be really as I've replaced everything else!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
IIRC there was an online retailer in the USA that did idler wheel trade in. Mostly for juke boxes I think, but did mention Garrard 401 and the like. Very reasonably priced as well.

I can't find the link at the moment. If it surfaces, I'll post it here.

If the rubber is OK and you just need a new bearing bush you could try a competent machinist, the kind that rebuilds car/motorcycle crankshafts, makes new valve guides, etc. If they still exist in these days of "Throw it away and buy a new one."

Just saw idler wheel bushings for sale on Ebay, the seller is in Spain, also has other bronze bushings for the 124, pretty cheap. Just type in "Thorens 124."
Good luck!

Hi,

Thanks to all who replied.

The idler that is on the TD124 at present is OK but is developing cracks underneath.The top and the rim that contacts the platter and step pulley is OK.

I am looking to have another as a spare.

Regards
Rajiv

I came across this listing on another audio forum, and thought it might be of use given the proliferation of idler wheel replacement threads as of late.

http://www.terrysrubberrollers.com/

I have no affiliation other than passing on some potentially useful information. Cheers,

-Richard

advertisement

Back