advertisement

Thorens TD-150 MkII

Lookaftering

Hi there people.
I'm fairly new to these forums and to record players themselves, but have just bought a Thorens TD 150 MkII to have a go at getting back to a workable state.
I am then, just wondering if anyone has either an arm that will fit this (I'm not sure if it has to be specially a Thorens arm or not???) and/or a motor for it, that I may be able to purchase?
Any help or advice also welcome, and I will try to keep an update on progress as I go.
Many thanks in advance, Samuel.

Hi there people.
I'm fairly new to these forums and to record players themselves, but have just bought a Thorens TD 150 MkII to have a go at getting back to a workable state.
I am then, just wondering if anyone has either an arm that will fit this (I'm not sure if it has to be specially a Thorens arm or not???) and/or a motor for it, that I may be able to purchase?
Any help or advice also welcome, and I will try to keep an update on progress as I go.
Many thanks in advance, Samuel.

I think it will not be in short supply;)

I have 160 super awaiting restoration (setting up really) so I know there are many devotees who'll be along real soon.

Any arm of the right length will fit it. If you get another arm of different length you will need another armboard with the hole in the right place.

For a motor ask on forums or that well-known auction site may pop one up. Don't spend too much money, a working 150-2 with arm is only about £80-100.

A well fettled 150 is a fine thing deserving of a good arm. If you could find a good Akito that would be a good choice. At a lower cost a Linn Basik Plus would be good too.

Don't dismiss the Thorens TP13a "Kugel" arm. It's a lot better than it looks and cheap to buy. Don't go for the TP13 - the 13a is a much, much better arm.

Hi Samuel
I am just about to finish a TD150 II which I have dropped into an LP12 plinth and it looks very good. I have another TD150 which is in bits that will have to go soon as I can't really justify keeping it along with an LP12, Rega P3 and TD150 II. I think most of the bits are there including a motor, TP13a Kugel arm with headshell and all the weights, including the bias weight. So pm me if you are interested and I will get in contact.

Any arm of the right length will fit it. If you get another arm of different length you will need another armboard with the hole in the right place.

For a motor ask on forums or that well-known auction site may pop one up. Don't spend too much money, a working 150-2 with arm is only about £80-100.

Slightly harsh I would have thought.

The deck is well known to be very tweakable.

Not harsh, realistic! It certainly very tweakable, but when you can get a whole one, working, for £80 then you'd have to be daft to spend a fortune getting it running when you can go and buy it. Note that this is not the same as money spent tweaking, it's entirely reasonable to add a £200 arm amd £200 plinth and £200 cart to an £80 TD150 because what you will have built isn't something you can go out and buy. If you build it to use it then you have a winner. Just don't ever sell it, you'll cry.

Not harsh, realistic! It certainly very tweakable, but when you can get a whole one, working, for £80 then you'd have to be daft to spend a fortune getting it running when you can go and buy it. Note that this is not the same as money spent tweaking, it's entirely reasonable to add a £200 arm amd £200 plinth and £200 cart to an £80 TD150 because what you will have built isn't something you can go out and buy. If you build it to use it then you have a winner. Just don't ever sell it, you'll cry.

Yes, sorry I misunderstood.

I must say I thought the genera were coming in at about 150/200 ish but maybe not.

I *think* the 150 is coming in around £100, with arm. It certainly was. The 160 is a bit more, I sold a 160 Super with a very nice SME 3009 here for £300. It went inside a week but it didn't exactly fly out of the door, I had to turn down a lot of jokers trying it on with "I'll collect it tonight with cash if you'll take £150" Yeah mate, I'm sure you will. I'll show Kylie a damn good time if she comes round my house tonight, too. What's that? Kylie's not coming round my house tonight? No, and neither are you.

I think a 150 with the golf-ball arm (can't remember its name) is an absolute steal as an out-of-the-box deck. By all means do a few tweaks, great stuff. Start fitting hugely expensive arms, hmm, not sure any more. The performance/ value equation shifts against it a bit.

I *think* the 150 is coming in around £100, with arm. It certainly was. The 160 is a bit more, I sold a 160 Super with a very nice SME 3009 here for £300. It went inside a week but it didn't exactly fly out of the door, I had to turn down a lot of jokers trying it on with "I'll collect it tonight with cash if you'll take £150" Yeah mate, I'm sure you will. I'll show Kylie a damn good time if she comes round my house tonight, too. What's that? Kylie's not coming round my house tonight? No, and neither are you.

I think a 150 with the golf-ball arm (can't remember its name) is an absolute steal as an out-of-the-box deck. By all means do a few tweaks, great stuff. Start fitting hugely expensive arms, hmm, not sure any more. The performance/ value equation shifts against it a bit.

Maybe that's what I was thinking of.

A lottery win = no work = I'd be spending time doing things with it(ie my deck).

Having been on the upgrade trail with a deck of limited initial value I would suggest getting the deck into working condition then deciding if you want to continue with it or vinyl in general. If you continue then bolt on mods you can unbolt and sell are a good idea. Just bear in mind that any attempt to sell a highly modded 150 for anything near what you may have spent on it will end in disappointment. They key for me was hunting down second hand items to do the job, all of which I can sell individually if needed at minimal loss.

Having been on the upgrade trail with a deck of limited initial value I would suggest getting the deck into working condition then deciding if you want to continue with it or vinyl in general. If you continue then bolt on mods you can unbolt and sell are a good idea. Just bear in mind that any attempt to sell a highly modded 150 for anything near what you may have spent on it will end in disappointment. They key for me was hunting down second hand items to do the job, all of which I can sell individually if needed at minimal loss.

Totally, yes.

advertisement

Back