advertisement

Things to do in Geneva

cutting42

Arrived at B4 Hacker Ergo
I know there are a couple of Swiss residents on here as well as the usual well travelled lil fish.

I have managed to get a ticket for a tour of CERN on Wed 20th Dec at 1-3pm for me any my 16 year old son and wondered what else we could do in Geneva afterwards until a flight home at 9pm. Not long enough for a trip but too long for just a wander round the town for a teenage boy.

I had hoped to see a watch museum but can't find one open on Wed.

Any suggestions welcome.

I'm not sure, but Wednesday might be flea market day in the Grand Palais, a big square below the old town. You could also visit the "Force Motrice." I think it is called, an island in the middle of the river (Rohne?) that used to be a massive power station and is now used for exhibitions and events. Also a nice walk up into the old town. And, of course, shopping! Some of the most expensive shops I've ever seen. There is a good department store along the Rue du Rohne. You can also take a tour on the lake, but you'd have to check the timetables.

Just checked, the flea market is in "Plainpalais", not "Grand Palais". it is indeed on Wednesday 8am - 5pm

Beware that Switzerland is staggeringly expensive. About 2-3 x UK prices in 2015, probably worse now.

Beware that Switzerland is staggeringly expensive. About 2-3 x UK prices in 2015, probably worse now.

Thanks, I am a frequent visitor to Basel so have got over the sticker shock but need to remind myself this is my money on this occasion.

A correction: the big department store is Globus, It is on a square that connects Rue du Rhone to Rue de la Confederation/Rue du Marche' (it changes name). Lots of other shops in the area. But don't miss a walk around the Old City, the Cathedral. (there are plenty of department stores in the UK)

The staggeringly expensive is weird. I was shocked by things like a coffee or an orange juice in the centre of Geneva, but in the same city centre you can get an excellent meal at a very "normal" price in a proper restaurant.

Geneva is a lovely city. Definitely a "prostitute city," but lovely. (I don't mean it is noted for its prostitutes, but that it is geared to satisfying the needs of well-heeled foreigners).

There are many museums and cultural places to visit, but Geneva's calvinist past remains very much alive today, so don't expect anything overwhelming, especially nightlife-wise. If it's sunny, walk around town (Les Eaux-Vives and Plainpalais) and try to take some altitude (Le Salève) in order to take a proper look at the lake. Rainy days are best spent in some of the cafés and their Parisian feel. Great international food on Rue des Pâquis, although this neighborhood has seen better days, but you'll be safe. Then if you are into spending money you can go just about anywhere else.

Cheese knows! Incidentally, many of the many private banks in Geneva were founded by French Calvinists fleeing from Catholic persecution.
You could also buy your son a Rolex and open a bank account!

advertisement

Back