advertisement

Things that you didn't even know were a thing.

I had some problems re hair (too long) at the Grammar school I was sentenced to, in 1968 or so; it's good to see that we're still concentrating on the important things.

The Spiders from Mars, Slade etc. were responsible for some interesting hair statements when I was at school...it’s a time in your life when you need to go a bit crazy before conformity is knocked into you.

Last edited:
When I was at Boarding School and about 14 back in the late sixties I went for a haircut and had an American like the Mods and the WHO had. I got back to the boarding house and the housemaster said that's not a haircut and sent me back for a short back and sides. Highly embarrased I sidled into the hairdressers, he took pity on me and didn't charge for the recut.

The Spiders from Mars, Slade etc. we’re responsible for some interesting statements when I was at school...it’s a time in your life when you need to go a bit crazy before conformity is knocked into you.
I conformed at school. I've been trying to catch up ever since.

Several times I got sent home from school assembly to 'get a haircut'. A day without lessons? Well, ta very much, headmaster. Eventually my luck ran out when my father spotted me mooching round town, and marched me to the barber's for a short back and sides.

Several times I got sent home from school assembly to 'get a haircut'. A day without lessons? Well, ta very much, headmaster. Eventually my luck ran out when my father spotted me mooching round town, and marched me to the barber's for a short back and sides.
My oldest brother (b1953) had long hair at high school. Ultimatums with money left ( on top of the kitchen radio I recall) for a SB&S were met with a disappearance for two weeks while he hitched around Britain and further. My mother once got a post card from Germany saying he’d come home soon and once he was deported from Holland for being on a tram without a ticket. Continuing the trichological theme, my mother always claimed his behaviour turned her hair prematurely gray. Freud would have had a field day. While he was away, I played his Black Sabbath albums turned up to eleven on the mono record player, aged 11.

My oldest brother (b1953) had long hair at high school. Ultimatums with money left ( on top of the kitchen radio I recall) for a SB&S were met with a disappearance for two weeks while he hitched around Britain and further. My mother once got a post card from Germany saying he’d come home soon and once he was deported from Holland for being on a tram without a ticket. Continuing the trichological theme, my mother always claimed his behaviour turned her hair prematurely gray. Freud would have had a field day. While he was away, I played his Black Sabbath albums turned up to eleven on the mono record player, aged 11.
I never knew mono record players had birthdays

I need 1968 we rebelled at Burnage Grammar School when ordered to get our hair cut and handed in our prefects badges.

The place soon ground to a halt without the quislings to run security.

The owner's of unacceptable hairstyles should face serious and immediate consequences
Best of the bunch.
38612318550_5303177a53_c.jpg

A headteacher has banned 'Meet me at McDonalds' haircuts. Er, WTF?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-43141251

'A school has banned a series of "extreme hairstyles", including one known as "Meet me at McDonald's".

The style is one of six deemed "unacceptable" for boys at Great Yarmouth Charter Academy in Norfolk.

"Uniform and appearance are a key part of developing school ethos," a letter to parents read.

A spokesman for the school, which has strict behaviour rules, said he could not comment further.

The letter does not expand on the "Meet me at McDonald's" style.

However Norwich hairdresser, Matthew Barber, described it as a curly perm teased into a high bouffant on top with shaved back and sides, or "fades".'

(You see what they did there? Hairdresser called 'Barber'? Oh well, please yourselves, don't take a vote on it).
If someone at that school has nothing better to do than ban particular hairdos then his boss really needs to review the staffing numbers.

Not bad. A little while ago I was in town and a young woman in the queue behind me had a multicoloured hairdo, so I complemented her on it. I like to see people being a bit adventurous rather than "being individual" by buying the same old s**t as everyone else they hang around with.

Did she reply "Piss off grandad" ? Or did you get her number ?

you must have far more stylish audio shows (and hair) in your neck of the woods.

advertisement

Back