advertisement

Things that you didn't even know were a thing.

Joe Hutch

Mate of the bloke
A headteacher has banned 'Meet me at McDonalds' haircuts. Er, WTF?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-43141251

'A school has banned a series of "extreme hairstyles", including one known as "Meet me at McDonald's".

The style is one of six deemed "unacceptable" for boys at Great Yarmouth Charter Academy in Norfolk.

"Uniform and appearance are a key part of developing school ethos," a letter to parents read.

A spokesman for the school, which has strict behaviour rules, said he could not comment further.

The letter does not expand on the "Meet me at McDonald's" style.

However Norwich hairdresser, Matthew Barber, described it as a curly perm teased into a high bouffant on top with shaved back and sides, or "fades".'

(You see what they did there? Hairdresser called 'Barber'? Oh well, please yourselves, don't take a vote on it).

"Uniform and appearance are a key part of developing school ethos," a letter to parents read.

Finland has the best performing schools in Europe and do not have any form of dress or hair policy, so why bother?

A spokesman for the school, which has strict behaviour rules, said he could not comment further.

What rules are those?, Walking round with unkempt hair chewing a straw with a pig under each arm?. Either that or they have to goosestep in military uniform.

I’d have to be paid a very substantial amount of money to go out in public sporting the hairstyle described above... it started as a hipster thing but has since infected the heads of teenagers far and wide... and they all look like they’ve been crossbread with a Bedlington terrier, ridiculous IMO. But that said, I think schools need to lighten up on such matters and instead concentrate theirs efforts on dealing with real issues like bullying.

As well as a barber called Barber, the BBC managed to find a student named Barber sporting said hair style. It looks o.k. to me.

I wish, I wish, I wish in vain
That I had the follicles to get any hairstyle again.

DMaN4_JX4AAX2RL.jpg

Not like the decent haircuts of the youth o yore...

rs-245886-RS-The-Cure.jpg

Who remembers when 2/3 of Thomson Twins went large?

bPNWMJUYS3c1Yjc_9UBuP1ynUnAnc2-JAJUNZtfFTFMH5p84tkihodS-hRuZ3bdKbXbNx1z73Q=w340-h170-p

(apologies for offending music fans re: TTs)

As the photos above show, the "extreme haircuts" of today are pretty tame by standards of yesteryear. The Thompson Twins jobs in particular I remember as being standard issue for EVERY girl in school who didn't have a "Lady Di". Pfft, extreme haircuts. They don't know they are born. They aren't even pink, or blue, or bright green. Honestly, it's like asking Jacob Rees-Mogg to dress up. He, and the boys in the pic, are about as nonconformist as elderly labradors.

Not bad. A little while ago I was in town and a young woman in the queue behind me had a multicoloured hairdo, so I complemented her on it. I like to see people being a bit adventurous rather than "being individual" by buying the same old s**t as everyone else they hang around with.

advertisement

Back