advertisement

Then AMUSED TO DEATH came along

I've got an original orange label copy of Nashville Skyline that looks absolutely mint with no spindle marking but crackles like a bastard. Disappointing as it's a great album.

Tony.

Ah. You think that's a one off or are they all like that? TBH the copy I have is a thin cheap Nice Price, but its sounds great, I suspect the fact its less than 30 minutes long helps the sound quality a lot. But with that particular record I would quite like a real nice first pressing.

The Sundazed one sound interesting but if the reissue I have sounds good, no point spending money on another, If I'm gonna spend some money the original makes more sense.

Tony if that one you had played minty as well as looked it, what's the current rate on these?

Ah. You think that's a one off or are they all like that? TBH the copy I have is a thin cheap Nice Price, but its sounds great, I suspect the fact its less than 30 minutes long helps the sound quality a lot. But with that particular record I would quite like a real nice first pressing.

Our copy (a first pressing) is not at all crackly, despite being played on knackered Dansettes, rubbish student systems, etc etc.

Mines got A2 / B3 matrixes and really does look mint, I've just had a look at it. I'll give it another scrub at some point and try again.

Tony.

I bought a copy of Pearl Jam's "Vs" on vinyl from Virgin about 10 years ago. It was scratched to hell and was covered in fingerprints so I took it straight back to be told "Sorry, we won't be getting any more copies of that album in, would you like to go and see if there is anything else you'd like to swap it for?" So I went and had a look, and lo and behold, a copy of Amused to Death was sat there in their small collection of vinyl.... Yoink! Didn't even have to pay the extra couple of quid for it for the "inconvenience". How lucky was that?

I have Radio Kaos and Pros and cons on vinyl too but ATD is the only one I rate, but that is an ace album.

Best ever for me though... Beck's "Mutations". Slightly similar to Sea Change but not as dowdy. Just full of very catchy tunes and seriously addictive.

I no longer have my plastic 'Amused..' but have copies as mp3 variously - it's ok, and I should play it again.

I still have my vinyl 10cc 'Deceptive Bends', but apart from the one track I place it nowhere near as I do their previous outstanding 4 albums (which I still have on the black stuff).

I frequently say that we all only need 30 albums, and I can reduce my favourites/essentials to 31 if I have one compiled from about 25 favourite 'singles'.

It is important to differentiate between what we like and what we believe is for others great - e.g. of albums release over last few years I like Kaiser Chiefs because they are fun/clone all of the old pop-formulae nicely - I do not believe others should be encouraged to like them if they don't 'get' it though. 1 10cc - their 2nd - 1 Kaisers - their 1st - 1 Waters 'Wish You Were Here' figure in my essential 30-31.

Martin
Just had a quick look on Amazon and there is a copy going for about $100 US but when I've checked at other times they have ranged for $60 up to $200 for a mint sealed copy.

You have a PM

Mike

AMD, brilliant album, prefer the lp to cd. i think (imo) roger waters hasnt done any bad recordings inc floyd. top dollar lyricist.

I'm listening to Amused To Death right now - it's pretty good.

My all-time great album is Rush's Moving Pictures, though.

Through many years I have considered Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Deja Vu as THE best album (and, yes, it's been recently reissued on vinyl by Classic Records). Just a couple of month ago I discovered that Chicago II must be IT (don't know about the current vinyl status)!

JohanR

advertisement

Back