advertisement

The watch thread: pocket, wrist, sporty, showy? You name it!

https://www.nitewatches.com/store/gb/icon/icon201s/
2254.50 and Marathon Navigator

I have a Nite Icon with Tritium markers that i keep by the side of my bed, Fanatastic in the dark.
I bought the missus a Mondain Sport watch with Trtium markers for her birthday last year, wish it was mine if I'm being honest as i love the style of it... I bought her a genuine Red Mondaine 22mm strap for it as the standard black looked a bit plain jane.
https://www.mondaine.com/watches/official-swiss-railways-watch/sport/a669-30308-16sbb.html

Had some pretty expensive watches in the past. Have still got a Breitling, which I haven't worn for a decade. Used an iPhone to find out the time since then. Never owned a Mondaine. Like the look of them and they are very modestly priced. If they are accurate you can't really lose.

Jack

Heads up Seiko SARB lovers - the word on the web is that the 017 'Alpinist' and the 033/035 have been discontinued, so if you want one of those watches there's no time to hang about. I've got the black dial 033 and think it's an amazing watch, but I wouldn't mind picking up the white dial 035 and I wouldn't mind picking up an Alpinist as well. I also wouldn't mind winning the lottery as I'd like to buy a good GPS sports watch too. I can spring for one of these watches but certainly not all of them right now.

This is nifty: 1959 Jaeger-LeCoultre Geophysic Ref E168 - identical to the ones taken by the USS Nautilus to the North Pole in 1958.

rxr0333.jpg

http://www.classicwatch.com/vintage-jaeger-lecoultre-watches/

A tale of two watches, this one, an Oris Hunter Limited Edition:

Swiss-Hunter-Team-Limited-Edition.jpg

and this one, a Rolex GMT-Master, calibre 1675:
ta155-1551-1-w200h200.jpg

The Oris was bought in 2011 as a conscious identification with the Waldenburg valley in which I live (on the hill above the Oris HQ) and work three days a week. The Rolex was bought in December 1975 in Geneva, at the end of a stay with a patent attorney firm there. The Oris has been back to the service department several times with problems and is due for another visit, because it has started stopping (if you see what I mean) - and this a couple of months after a full service. The Rolex, on the other hand, ticks relentlessly on, with the occasional service. Not a terribly scientific survey, but it may be that you really do get what you pay for.

I've had not dissimilar experiences with my own Sub and an auto Speedmaster. The Rolex gets a service when the guilt gets to me once a decade or so - but seems to tick away relentlessly otherwise. The Omega 'started stopping' a while back - but the cost of servicing the complication seems to be such a high percentage of the resale value of the watch, that I've been putting it off indefinitely.

The Rolex gets a service when the guilt gets to me once a decade or so

Yep, that sums me up perfectly! The timepiece maintenance advice I like best is for a Jaeger LeCoultre, not a watch but one of these:
$_35.JPG

an Atmos, which takes its energy from changes in temperature and pressure in the room where it lives. I find it quite fascinating to watch as it sits and twirls silently, the light glittering off the beautifully machined grooves in the torsion pendulum wheel. Its period is one minute, and, according to the manufacturer, the wear rate is such that it will last over 600 years "but because of air pollution, we regretfully recommend a clean every 20 years...".

One of my mates phoned me last night to tell me about the experience he had when he went into Glasgow city centre yesterday to buy this Rolex GMT Master II - the 'Batman' edition. In a nutshell, you simply can't walk into a shop with £7,000 in your pocket and walk out with a Batman on your wrist, it just can't be done. Of the three or four shops he visited (I forget how many), all but one said their waiting list was closed for the time being while the one shop that said they would add him to their list, Watches of Switzerland, told him that he'd almost certainly have to wait somewhere between 12-18 months before he'd get his hands on one.

Frustrated but undeterred, my mate phone just about every Rolex dealer in Scotland, including way up in Aberdeen, and was told the same thing. His choices are, then: wait until he gets to the top of the list, buy one on the secondary market and pay more because demand currently exceeds supply, or hope to get lucky at an Airport where waiting lists aren't the norm due to the transitory nature of customers.

Rolex manufacture around a million watches a year and yet, you simply can't walk into a shop buy this particular model. WTF!?

It depends if your mate wants a new one or 'nearly new'. There are a few trustworthy dealers who get unworn examples (still in stickers) for not much different to the list price. I bought my YM2 like that and have had exemplary service.

Every time I go through Geneva airport (admittedly less so these days), I always check out the Rolex store, as they often stock items which can't be had elsewhere. I daresay a Batman comes through from time to time.

I still have the notion of getting a JLC Master Thin or Ultra-Thin. Tried one on in the airport ages ago, it just felt right and looked the part. Anyone got one?

Just manged to pick up a Seiko Alpinist - arrived yesterday new from some of the few left in stock anywhere. Finally got permit from the Mrs to buy a mechanical watch and on a recent visit to New York she kind of relented and we looked at some Seikos, which I have always been fond of. I had just bought her a new IPad, so that helped!.

Many years ago she had bought me one of the very first Seiko Kinetic watches - which now needs attention. For several years have been wearing a Seiko Solar day/date and it is lovely - slim and discreet. Now SARB107 is on my wrist. 'Tis a lovely thing indeed and at well under £400, very good value.

It depends if your mate wants a new one or 'nearly new'. There are a few trustworthy dealers who get unworn examples (still in stickers) for not much different to the list price. I bought my YM2 like that and have had exemplary service.

Every time I go through Geneva airport (admittedly less so these days), I always check out the Rolex store, as they often stock items which can't be had elsewhere. I daresay a Batman comes through from time to time.

He's had a look on Chrono for a 'nearly new' one but he'd have to about £2,000 more than the shop price, such is the demand for this particular watch. It just so happens, however, he's flying to Thailand via Dubai soon for a family holiday, so there's a chance he'll come across one at Heathrow or Dubai. Failing that, he'll either have to wait or spring the extra cash if he wants one sooner rather than later. Or, I suppose, buy something else.

I have two wristwatches.....a Seiko sportura that I use day and daily. I've had it for years and it's a little rough aroud the edges but serves me well.
I bought an inexpensive Tissot with a leather strap a few years back and wear it occasionally.
I rarely watch TV but I have found the Idealword channel some of the best watch entertainment lately. They have some balding dude on waxing lyrical about Vostok watches. They look awful and Icannot imagine anyone wearing one but the guff spouted by the seller is fantastic.
Last night they were promoting cheap Swiss Military by Hanowa. They look quite appealing and some came with a £250 discount (coughs lmao) and a free bag and torch.
I'd never buy but their sales pitch is incredible.

One of my mates phoned me last night to tell me about the experience he had when he went into Glasgow city centre yesterday to buy this Rolex GMT Master II - the 'Batman' edition. In a nutshell, you simply can't walk into a shop with £7,000 in your pocket and walk out with a Batman on your wrist, it just can't be done. Of the three or four shops he visited (I forget how many), all but one said their waiting list was closed for the time being while the one shop that said they would add him to their list, Watches of Switzerland, told him that he'd almost certainly have to wait somewhere between 12-18 months before he'd get his hands on one.

Frustrated but undeterred, my mate phone just about every Rolex dealer in Scotland, including way up in Aberdeen, and was told the same thing. His choices are, then: wait until he gets to the top of the list, buy one on the secondary market and pay more because demand currently exceeds supply, or hope to get lucky at an Airport where waiting lists aren't the norm due to the transitory nature of customers.

Rolex manufacture around a million watches a year and yet, you simply can't walk into a shop buy this particular model. WTF!?

An interesting article on this very subject...
https://www.ablogtowatch.com/why-some-watches-rolex-patek-philippe-impossible-retail/

I have a number of 'cheap' watches.
A seiko orange monster, a Bulova precisonist and a 'kept for sentimental reasons but never worn' Thai knockoff Tag Heuer Monaco - it no longer winds but runs if you shake it a bit but it is 15 years old.
My goto, everyday wear watch is an Apple watch series 2 it's just too useful to not have on me, especially at the gym.

Vaguely realistic grail watch of the moment (this changes regularly) is the new Tudor Black Bay GMT.

Utterly unrealistic lottery win grail would have to be an Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Diver

I don't however consider it prudent to drop 3K+, let alone 15k+ on a piece of wrist jewelery at this time when I'd probably still wear the Apple watch 99% of the time. I still like to hang my nose over them and play the 'what if I win the lottery game on chrono24' from time to time.

I rarely watch TV but I have found the Idealword channel some of the best watch entertainment lately. They have some balding dude on waxing lyrical about Vostok watches. They look awful and Icannot imagine anyone wearing one but the guff spouted by the seller is fantastic.
Last night they were promoting cheap Swiss Military by Hanowa. They look quite appealing and some came with a £250 discount (coughs lmao) and a free bag and torch.
I'd never buy but their sales pitch is incredible.

Was it the guy who says stuff like " This is a rare and collectible timepiece which YOU MUST INSURE!!!"?

Was it the guy who says stuff like " This is a rare and collectible timepiece which YOU MUST INSURE!!!"?

Aha yes thats the one..it is pure entertainment listening to them fawning over what are probably very over priced and not so great timepieces. If I hear the word 'Horology' drawled out through dripping lips once more I shall puke.

advertisement

Back