advertisement

The watch thread: pocket, wrist, sporty, showy? You name it!

I've just replaced my Speedmaster with a very nice Nomos:
eXMd0W1h.jpg

I've just replaced my Speedmaster with a very nice Nomos:
eXMd0W1h.jpg
I really like that style, with the second hand in another dial below the centre. I suspect it has a name, it's very traditional, very common in older watches that I have owned and currently seems to be unfashionable.

The Rolex Milgaus in the centre has been worn every day since i bought it new last year. I set the time exactly last October when the clocks changed to GMT and it has gradually gained 1 min and 45 secs since setting.
Not such a big deal being a little early for a meeting/event.
For time accuracy I refer to a Casio G-Shock waveceptor radio controlled watch, which i set the mechanical watches too, or dial 123 on the phone.
TJDXCriaObara7YMlcWNvboenXLg4UO4tsnSDZ-RsF_g5gvawGs78Qcrd2cmWzSorl5VxZH_w5RXCcNraFmvr4NI05gsx839f3j6P0TTCHdnKjDF5uznedZZFeQ19mCg2EYO8tl7uUqCu9S28oTwhLCTSgTZuepPXvUo4Lk_nN6WVruTOGluVX37ahAgWpHabpGpLezpf3pAL9QtRDAuNP425niGudrk2KS5TLjyfZ5WouqJkmkKkNAEUz8bbus2RHk1jZ7ejhCFdBTjqZ4Es0aQ1AG1FYyBnnMYUZYtQ4yS-mlBYi5Nwrw2DzDcL5LIhPQg3gao1cORLRgDPFCBvJK-WWKjc7emYGJPibQLMXUUiuP9U6tzRq0pVO229Xw9NkeNKWedWDDtbkEFDjsNVy1eWjdpHjaTzRQsn854etFi36vA02I-7uaomvjLVR74UPEHoyzTPOs6xtORolalJSiAkshkDPcjEYduTMI6eAKPGPnlNOIxcVjyqPDL9KlMzhWTM_XkesjLfJDqCozqeEZ3lxkHsS4Ed-8ZwX5Qsfcs2Zk2OTq65CL_MW_wt_82EnXqFSqu2PWBNeTmk0L78RoPnVknzUxgr5WiTg=w1677-h943-no

I have the same Milgaus. Why did you pick the black face and not the new blue one?

yep, I like a Steinhart - one of my next watches will be an Ocean 1 bronze... and also an Orient Panda... :)

The Steinhart is really quite nice. I bought it s/h off e-bay. I gradually noticed that it ran just a little bit too slow for my liking though, and even though it has a screw down crown i don't like opening them too often.
I contacted Steinhart Customer services to see if they could do something, even though it was just ( 2 months ) out of warranty, specifically I expected a little + or Minus from a mechanical watch, but could they calibrate it so it ran more plus than negative.
They paid for the return shipping, calibrated the watch and now it also runs ever so slightly fast, not as good as the Rolex, but perfect for my needs, and I got a serviced watch back. took about 6 weeks all told but Brilliant customer service.

I have the same Milgaus. Why did you pick the black face and not the new blue one?

Personal preference.

The first Milgaus i considered was an unused NOS black dial with clear glass. However I went away to think about it overnight with a Rolex Catalogue in hand from the Jewellers as it was a lot more money than i had planned to spend that day, I had gone in specifically to buy a new Tudor North Flag).
When i saw the green glass version in the calalogue that was it i had to have one. I think the green glass looks better and more obvious against the black dial, the blue dial seems to take something away and mask the green glass to my eyes.

Marmite syndrome...

I have a very similar Nomos. Quite fancy a Speedmaster too.

The Speedy is a bona-fide classic, but I found it uncomfortable to wind and I prefer a less well-known watch brand.

I really like that style, with the second hand in another dial below the centre. I suspect it has a name, it's very traditional, very common in older watches that I have owned and currently seems to be unfashionable.

I've only ever heard it referred to as "small seconds" or "subdial seconds".

Your Nomos is very nice. If I were in the market for a new dress watch, I'd seriously consider one.

But I'll never part with my vintage Speedy Pro.

Apart from buying this top quality Nato strap for my Seiko SARB033, the only other addition to my watch box is this reissue of the classic Ingersoll Mickey Mouse watch. Admittedly, it's a cheap ladies version with a quartz movement, but I'm hoping it'll slowly increase in value once it's out of production, and with a bit of luck, it might actually be worth something in a few thousand years :)

516d+DfLPoL._AC_US200_.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I just learned of a watch company based here in Glasgow called Paulin Watches. They seem to focus on Art Deco and Bauhaus styling, which isn't quite my cup of tea, but worst of all, all but one of their watches have quartz movement under the hood - this is the relatively expensive exception. Apparently, their clocks have a sweeping (and silent!) second hand, so that's good, but sadly, as nice as it is, it's not enough to make me want to pop over for a closer look at their time pieces.

Clock-front-teal_ee5a957b-5517-4169-8822-f9b3c65dec88_grande.png

Personal preference.

The first Milgaus i considered was an unused NOS black dial with clear glass. However I went away to think about it overnight with a Rolex Catalogue in hand from the Jewellers as it was a lot more money than i had planned to spend that day, I had gone in specifically to buy a new Tudor North Flag).
When i saw the green glass version in the calalogue that was it i had to have one. I think the green glass looks better and more obvious against the black dial, the blue dial seems to take something away and mask the green glass to my eyes.

Marmite syndrome...

The blue face wasn’t available when I bought mine. I do like the new blue face. Also got three black face Rolexes!!

advertisement

Back