advertisement

The Secret to the Bonham Drum Sound

While a big part of The Bonham Sound is Bonham's amazing technique and flair, a lot of what I associate with his sound has a great deal to do with the savagely compressed room mics. With a good room and decent compressor you can get sonically close to that sound with just one microphone. It's just a case of finding the right (read world class!) drummer.

Good piece though. I recorded a band yesterday, and they'd all being partying all Easter weekend. They sounded shit, and we faffed around with mic placement etc until they were ready to accept they were playing like a bunch of tw*ts and they went home. We'll try again today. Performance is everything!

For anyone interested, I have a load of MP3s of some Bonham drum outtakes from recording sessions - some are very short, but others longer - good for jamming along to!

PM me and I'll point you at a URL to download 'em.

Not sure re the copyright, so I'd keep them for personal use. If you make some loops up, I'd be keen to have a copy of them.

That reminds of a story about some big record company in the 1960's that wanted to copy Motowns famous 'sound'. They sent a couple of guys to Motowns studio in Detroit, they had tape measures with them and measured the place in all directions they could think of.

Only the Motown studio was very cramped and built in a two car garage...

Yes, you have guessed it. The sound came from the very good musicians playing on the recordings!

JohanR

advertisement

Back