advertisement

The runners' thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Enjoy the Beamer. Peng is one of those words which amuses me. On my cycling club run we crest Crystal Palace and then descend at speed Penge Hill and through a still deserted Penge ( knife crime central ) on our way out of town. Even back in Horace Rumpoles's day he had to contend with the Penge bungalow murders!

I’ve lived in south east London for nearly 30 years I’m sure everywhere is way more scary than it used to be. The petty aggression on the road for example is really wearing. I saw some road stupidity at the top of Blythe hill earlier, that was knuckle headed like zoolander.

Thankfully, runner-rage isn't quite as common, although I once quietly exhaled fcuk when a passenger door opened moments before I was about to run past the car on a narrow bit of pavement. Thankfully, the guy managed to get out and close the door just before I reached the vehicle. It's also frustrating when you're approaching people wearing headphones as they often have absolutely no idea you're about to overtake them - something that's made worse when they're big and walking a dog in a semi-drunk sort of way. Thankfully, it's normally pretty straightforward to pass people although, at tricky times like that, I try to remember that the pavement's not my own private running track. Apart from these minor frustrations, I've never seen any runner-rage take place, or indeed, road-rage, or anything exciting come to think of it when I've been out running.

I was making a general point about London SE

But running and pedestrians ...Bus stops are hazards especially if you are arriving as the bus does. I also learnt early on not to go too tight to shop door ways.

It's been a day of firsts regarding my run this morning: first run over half-marathon distance (13.8ml - a wee bit shorter than the 14ml I thought I was running); first run north of two hours - 2:06:46; first run with this Camelbak; first run having fuelled up with these electrolyte things (one last night and one this morning); and last but not least, first run tracked here by Strava :)

The Camelbak was great as I was able to sip from it now and again without breaking my stride; fwiw, I think I filled to about 1.25L and probably only drank about a litre during the actual run. The only downside of the Camelbak was that because the water sloshed up and down my cadence was compromised by the up and motion of the water, although I'm pleased to say that the more I drank the less this became an issue. I think I'll need to make sure I can get most if not all of the air out of the bladder before I set off next time and see if that stops the sloshing effect and therefore a slowing of my cadence.

Apart from the 10K I ran last year in which I exceeded my expectations by some margin, this morning's run has to be my best and most enjoyable run ever. There was no dehydration bonk and hardly any traffic or pedestrians around - just lots of sunshine and nothing to stop me. Which reminds me, I felt as though I could have kept on going, but I've learned the hard way that there's always a price to pay when pushing the envelope too far beyond my current capabilities. I should also add that I took painkillers before I set off to make sure I could run without having to endure two hours' of sore feet or the discomfort that comes from running with a dodgy, maladaptive gait.

As for the highlights, well I saw a cool Maserati - not because it was all frosted over, which it was, but because it was just a damn cool-looking car.

Oh, and fwiw, Strava is a bit off with the actual time of my run as I spent about 15 seconds at the start fumbling around to get my phone in my waist pouch and then another 15 seconds or so trying to get it out so I could stop Strava tracking my run. Over to you guys...

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Congrats windhoek, glad it went well.

We did the 3rd anniversary of our local Parkrun this morning which is normally 2.5 laps with 3 down hills and 2 uphills. The reversed for today so was more uphill. Still an OK time but all the excess food and booze from this weeks travels made it hard work.

Racing toy cars this afternoon and then watching the (recorded) Rugby.

Windhoek that sounds great - well done you for a measured run , no dramatics and sounds like this will be a key run in your progress. Have a good recovery! Our Pinkfish Strava club mileage will soar now.

For me - i’m away at the moment so heat is a factor - may try to get out for a few miles around dusk. 35 miles cycling this morning on a tarmac cycle track out into the desert was pure magic.

Great stuff Windhoek! Sounds like you are well chuffed and not tooooo much aches and pains!
I need to get up to that sort of distance very soon!
Am on way to pub for an afternoon of rugby and rehydration with mates after Parkrun. Was a beautiful morning for it, but after a trip out yesterday and a planned longer shuffle tomorrow I thought I'd take it easy compared with last week. So did not feel like I was really pushing on at all. Finished one second slower than last week, which surprised the he'll out of me.
Must be doing something right with all the R & R!!!

Thanks guys, and yes, it was a steady measured run devoid of any heroics to hit a particular time. Good luck running in Dubai Ian - give me cold and dry any over hot hot hot any day. And good luck in the pub Rob - depending on the result you may need a lot of help to get home ;)

The only downside of the Camelbak was that because the water sloshed up and down my cadence was compromised by the up and motion of the water, although I'm pleased to say that the more I drank the less this became an issue. I think I'll need to make sure I can get most if not all of the air out of the bladder before I set off next time and see if that stops the sloshing effect and therefore a slowing of my cadence.
Well done on the half! I also did a half yesterday, the first this year. Can't say it was clever nor pretty, but I got it done.

Anyway, a solution that works for me. Fill your CamelBak, ensure the tube is closed, turn upside down, open tube and then suck the air out. This removes the sloshing - I did my marathon in Gent with ~2L of Tailwind (which ran out just as I neared the finish line) and it didn't slosh at all - by using this method.

Today's run is something completely different: a running sightseeing tour in Edinburgh which ends in a gin tasting (!!). I'm taking the GLW. She'll be doing the tasting as one of us will have to drive (me) and I'm not fussed for gin. Only 4 miles I believe, and probably way too slow to be considered a training run, but 'time on feet' as they say.

This coming week will call for 36 miles, comprising: rest / 3M / 8M / 9M / rest / parkrun / 13M - though the 3M on Tuesday was a mod I made to allow me to recover from what would have been my trail marathon yesterday, so I may extend it to a hill session or longer run.

Good running, folks :)

Youngest did the National XC Champs at Parliament Hill yesterday. Well down the field but he ran well and he's a 400m runner and 15 in the U17 category.
Would have been interesting to stay for the main start as over 3,000 in the field.

In my longer distance days I never experimented with a camel and tbh thought they were best for ultramarathon obsessives .and I’d worry about cleaning it etc. I would question whether you need more than a few gulps of water for a half . Longer , and when it’s warm yes. As I probably said a few pages back my hydration solutions for those long Sunday runs was a back pack with bottle of water one side , sports drink the other . And inside wind proof jacket , phone and 20 used for a cab. Years before that I tried one of the those bottles you hold, really useless.

J

That's a top tip for holding the Camelbak upside down and then sucking the air out. I wasn't sure how I would empty the air out but now I know, cheers JTC!

Fwiw, I won't be using it during the marathon (I'll use whatever's on offer on the day), just on long training runs, say half-marathon distance or farther.

3 miles, 10m/m on Friday, 2 miles this morning but I tried to push the pace a little and felt the knee strain so i pulled back to slow pace again and completed the run. I feel I need to push it to make it stronger. No feedback from the knee as i write so all seems good and on track. Next run Tuesday morning, probably try the same routine.
Keep up the good work guys, glad your back on track Windhoek.

10m/m sounds sensible . I would have thought that carefully building up distance or frequency will have a more positive impact on the knee than deliberately increasing speed. Speed will come as you get fitter

That's a good point John and makes alot of sense.
The knee is aching a little so I have learnt a valuable lesson that the routine this morning isn't the best way forward.
Thanks John.

Slowly slowly catchy monkey as far as coming back from injury goes. My post-operative physio explained it best; “pain is the body’s way of telling you that you’ve pissed it off, so stop doing whatever it is that’s pissing it off”. The footballer’s “running off an injury” myth is just that; a myth.

I did 2.4 miles this morning; my first post-injury non-stop run, and thankfully no discomfort. I’ll have a day or two rest before trying anything else though. I’ve probably spent more time injured because of my own impatience than any other reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back