advertisement

The runners' thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Annoyingly I'm out for the rest of 2017, having again aggravated my groin injury. Annoying as I'm only 20 miles short of 1200 for the running year. However, with lots of running planned from late January until late summer (thus far) I think taking a few weeks out to recover makes more sense than never really giving it a chance to heal.

Anyone doing the Marcothon thing?

I'm still idle myself JTC and it sucks. I still think I've tweaked something other than my left groin because whenever I try to run, even for a few minutes, an uncomfortable, albeit bearable pain occurs to the outer and/or rear top of my left thigh. I'm thinking worn cartilage or a microfracture somewhere, but I'll guess I'll find out sooner or later as my groin injury - my diagnosed injury - doesn't feel too bad at all, and no doubt when that's cleared up, I'll probably have to see my GP again to find out what else is going on down there.

Hope your healing goes well and you're back on your running feet in no time.

Anyone doing the Marcothon thing?

Not heard about it until you mentioned it so a bit late now but also I read this after googling and have to agree with David March about the stress of running 31 days without a break or rest day unless you are at that level of fitness and training already.

Sorry to hear you and windhoek still struggling to get running again, take the time and get better properly. Good luck for a healthy 2018!

Thanks. I did the Marcothon in 2015 and 2016, so it's slightly annoying not to go for the hat-trick. Still, best to concentrate on a healthy 2018. Need to improve my pace, mainly, but as I've had groin issues for several months, I might find that once I'm recovered I can run faster anyway. Here's hoping!

I'm still idle myself JTC and it sucks. I still think I've tweaked something other than my left groin because whenever I try to run, even for a few minutes, an uncomfortable, albeit bearable pain occurs to the outer and/or rear top of my left thigh. I'm thinking worn cartilage or a microfracture somewhere, but I'll guess I'll find out sooner or later as my groin injury - my diagnosed injury - doesn't feel too bad at all, and no doubt when that's cleared up, I'll probably have to see my GP again to find out what else is going on down there.
Sounds like Osteitis Pubis. That's what I might have, though it's a difficult one to diagnose confidently...

Sounds like Osteitis Pubis. That's what I might have, though it's a difficult one to diagnose confidently...

That could well be what I have, JTC, as I was having to run with a quite asymmetrical technique from time to time during the 10K due to the difficulty of overtaking in dense traffic, whereby I did so by suddenly contorting my body into odd shapes an angles to squeeze past slower runners in such a way so as to not break my general pace and cadence, which themselves were being dictated by my metronome. I probably contorted myself too much throughout the race and am now paying the price of my high tempo, shape-shifting manoeuvres - something for which I never trained at all.

I went out for a 1.5m easy run when I got home from work earlier and I'm pleased to say my body feels fine; a bit tired in the legs but thankfully that's all. This was my first run since the second week in October apart from the odd time I've had to run to catch a bus or whatever, so I'm absolutely delighted to start 2018 as I mean to go on: running for fun and staying injury free... fingers crossed.

Here's hoping 2018 is a good, fit and injury-free year for us all :)

And a happy new year to all of the runners on this thread! I had a three week break to try to let the groin recover, and did 7K today. Pace wasn't bad, but I have a head-cold and felt a bit shabby during the run. Plus, the groin is still sore. Might just have to manage the discomfort as I've a hell of a lot of running planned for 2018.

Great to hear you're back on the road, JTC, although it looks like you're way ahead of me in both ambition and ability!

At the moment , running is something to do between injuries as I'm very prone to calf/achilles problems. I have managed a few easy runs over the last few months with my my bichon frise ,Daisy, and an 18 mile round trip commune to work every day for the last 18 months, so my aerobic fitness is OK.
I'm hoping to do a park run this year .
Good luck to all runners on the forum this year.

Cheers

Tony

Happy New Running year to all and great news windhoek and JTC on your ongoing recoveries.

I kicked off the new year today with a double parkrun at 9am and then 10.30am, cycling from home and between them (not that far but a total around 20k on the bike as well). Very busy and crowded on the runs today so prett slow but good fun and the bike ride home was a good warmdown.

That sounds like a great start to the new year Gareth, double park run and 20k on the bike?! This could be an increasingly fast year for the pink fishies :)

Note to self: look up this park run thing...

Just signed up to marathon five of 2018. I must be daft! But this one's special - the Dramathon - It’s a marathon in Speyside in October. It’s all trail and the route goes past several distilleries. The first one was last year and it was apparently amazing: great scenery, well organised and a great goody bag - featuring miniatures of whisky
http://www.thedramathon.com

That brings 2018 so far to:
CTS Northumberland (Feb)
London (April)
Strathearn (June)
Fort William (July)
Dramathon (Oct)

...and I'll probably round that off with another pop at Loch Ness in September :)

Hi all,
I had about 2 weeks off running before Christmas with travelling etc. Back to a Parkrun on Saturday and another small improvement to Shows that a short break needn't have too much detriment. Like a very severe taper and I felt quite strong on the run. It was my best Parkrun (20:11 in wet windy muddy conditions) since I virtually stopped running in early 2015.

We're now staying in the countryside for a while so plenty of off-road muddy hilly routes.

I like the look of your schedule JTC though I can't imagine doing more than one a year! The Dramathon sounds fabulous.

Good to hear you're back running Windhoek - sounds like a good start for 2018. Take it easy and stay healthy!

My aims this year - to stay healthy / injury free and get a couple of good 10k and 5k times on the road.

Ian

Note to self: look up this park run thing...

They are great events. Our local ones get pretty muddy at this time of year but each course is different. I like them because once you have registered and printed your barcode you just turn up and run - no pre-entry required. The result service is superb and there are loads to choose from - every Saturday. Very inclusive too with runners (and walkers) all encouraged. Family events too with kids and dogs etc. Just seems to work somehow.

After months of inactivity I’ve just started again with a 2.5m run every second day for the past week. The older I get the more quickly any semblance of fitness I have disappears once I get injured/ lazy. It will be a steep schedule up to the Liverpool half marathon at the end of March at this rate!

Happy New Year runners.

Yesterday we did the annual New Years Day 5k in my little town in Massachusetts - but yesterday the air temperature was -15C with wind chills to -25C. I was over a minute slower than my previous 5k due to difficulties breathing - I think everyone was slowed down. Still got a couple of guys running in shorts. I think I'm going to wait for it to warm up before doing another 5k - but the 2018 goal is a sub 19 minute 5k.

After months of inactivity I’ve just started again with a 2.5m run every second day for the past week. The older I get the more quickly any semblance of fitness I have disappears once I get injured/ lazy. It will be a steep schedule up to the Liverpool half marathon at the end of March at this rate!
I didn't run at all between 9th December and yesterday, but all that while I kept an eye on Fitbit-recorded heart-rate. In three weeks it crept up from 50 at rest to 58. Just goes to show how exercise *does* have a direct and measurable impact on health...

I didn't run at all between 9th December and yesterday, but all that while I kept an eye on Fitbit-recorded heart-rate. In three weeks it crept up from 50 at rest to 58. Just goes to show how exercise *does* have a direct and measurable impact on health...
Interesting... I just got a Garmin GPS / heart rate sports watch so will be able to track resting heart rate now - as well as a gazillion other things! It's an astonishing piece of technology to be wearing on the wrist and has been reliable so far (3 days in).

I have a Garmin 235 as well, but only use that when actually running. The Fitbit is a Charge 2, and is on my wrist all the time except when showering or swimming. They tend to agree, by and large, on HR however. I've not found them to be particularly inaccurate *except* when I'm really sweating heavily, at which point you do see the odd anomaly...

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back