advertisement

The runners' thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
John, hill work can also involve running downhill. There's a knack to that too. As I discovered I didn't have during Loch Ness, where the initial drop from high to low took its toll on my legs...

John, hill work can also involve running downhill. There's a knack to that too. As I discovered I didn't have during Loch Ness, where the initial drop from high to low took its toll on my legs...

I know. There is a hill I’ve neglected over last few months and running up it has been easier than down . There is a base level of fitness you need to be able to say that. Mine essentially is at the moment running with a load of Kettlebell chucked in.

Parkrun today and my first time trial or race since February. I’ve had a decent 4 weeks of running, basically starting from almost nothing for months so was OK with 21 minutes but this is hard. Maybe my age (mid 50s ) but don’t (yet) feel I have any ‘speed’ or fluidity. I’ve been doing a good mix of steady / hills/ speed so maybe I just need to stick at it and be patient. Love running but sure miss the feeling of running quicker!

Parkrun today and my first time trial or race since February. I’ve had a decent 4 weeks of running, basically starting from almost nothing for months so was OK with 21 minutes but this is hard. Maybe my age (mid 50s ) but don’t (yet) feel I have any ‘speed’ or fluidity. I’ve been doing a good mix of steady / hills/ speed so maybe I just need to stick at it and be patient. Love running but sure miss the feeling of running quicker!

Nice.

I can only dream of a 21 min 5k but I did manage a pb today of 28.55, my first under 29 mins so pretty happy as well.

I'm running backwards compared to you guys. I'd just about got over my injury from trying to jump right back in the saddle far too quickly when I done my left big toe in by walking seven miles whilst wearing shoes that in retrospect, were a tad too tight as my left big toenail got slammed back into my toe a million times, the result of which left me with a mild limp I'm just getting over. The upshot of all this is that my total running mileage over the last three weeks is roughly 0.1 miles lol.

Incidentally, when I ran 50 metres or so the other day to catch a bus I felt a hint of pain return to my left thigh/hip, so whatever damage I did by doing a 10K a few days after a hard 10K might not have healed properly and I'm afraid to say, I'm a little worried it never will.

Hi

My wife runs, I cycle. It is her birthday in December and I am considering getting her a running watch with wrist HRM. Do any of you runners recommend a product around £100 or ones to avoid?
Thanks
Jay

I foolishly entered into an agreement with my future daughter-in-law to run a 10k. However, as I’m currently very fat (but slowly losing weight now, with the 5:2 diet and some commuter cycling) we’ve set May 2019 as the deadline!

I shall be following this thread, and hope to actually start running towards the end of 2018.

Ran the Chesterfield half marathon last Sunday, my first 'race' of any distance having only started running in March and having to contend with a series of injuries. Really enjoyed it and finished very strongly which I put down to effective nutrition in the 48 hrs leading up to the run. My time was a very modest 2hrs 20 mins but as a school boy sprinter and gymnast with no stamina I'm very pleased to have met the challenge in my mid 40's.

I'll keep running now having quite enjoyed runs between 3-6 miles and have signed up to do local park runs. I said I'd never run 13.1m again but I have a nagging desire to prove I can go sub 2 hrs...

I'm running backwards compared to you guys. I'd just about got over my injury from trying to jump right back in the saddle far too quickly when I done my left big toe in by walking seven miles whilst wearing shoes that in retrospect, were a tad too tight as my left big toenail got slammed back into my toe a million times, the result of which left me with a mild limp I'm just getting over. The upshot of all this is that my total running mileage over the last three weeks is roughly 0.1 miles lol.

Incidentally, when I ran 50 metres or so the other day to catch a bus I felt a hint of pain return to my left thigh/hip, so whatever damage I did by doing a 10K a few days after a hard 10K might not have healed properly and I'm afraid to say, I'm a little worried it never will.

Really sorry to hear this. I hope you get some good advice and help recovering. I don’t have much to pass on unfortunately but take it very slow and listen to your body is my initial thoughts.

Good luck.

I foolishly entered into an agreement with my future daughter-in-law to run a 10k. However, as I’m currently very fat (but slowly losing weight now, with the 5:2 diet and some commuter cycling) we’ve set May 2019 as the deadline!

I shall be following this thread, and hope to actually start running towards the end of 2018.

Very feasible. I was around 19 1/2 stone 2 years ago and couldn’t even run a bath. I enjoyed cycling but was aerobically very unfit as well as overweight.

I spent a year losing weight and exercising at the gym and after approx 8 months started running very slowly on treadmills using the run/walk technique similar to the couch to 5k plan. I did my first Parkrun mid December 2016 and did my 37th yesterday. I have done 2 10K runs now and have never been so fit and active since I was in my teens (51 now).

Good luck, it is a great thing to do.

Hi

My wife runs, I cycle. It is her birthday in December and I am considering getting her a running watch with wrist HRM. Do any of you runners recommend a product around £100 or ones to avoid?
Thanks
Jay

I am a big fan of the Garmin range and have the Fenix 5. Closer to your budget is the Forerunner 35 with Heart Rate Monitor and GPS as well. They have several in the range but the 35 is good value at around £150.

Really sorry to hear this. I hope you get some good advice and help recovering. I don’t have much to pass on unfortunately but take it very slow and listen to your body is my initial thoughts.

Good luck.

Thanks Gareth, wise words I should have heeded first the time I felt something wasn't right. My ears are wide open now and listening to the creaks and groans of my middle-aged body.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back