advertisement

The Leveson Inquiry Thread.

Apparently it was time for a pfm blue howler monkey post.
During the shut down announcement Becs did tell the NotW staff 'there's more to this'.

How about another of PFM's famous "David Cameron can't survive this one" posts?

IMHO Cameron will survive this but there will be more questions about his judgement as a result. Many will sense the lingering whiff of Aitkin, Hamilton and Archer about the current Conservative Party. This is more of a test of the Police and our Criminal Justice System in my view though. The Police have been corrupted at a number of different levels, not just at the top. Now they have to demonstrate their ability to do their job to the full under public scrutiny. You could base an excellent crime novel around the characters in charge of Operation Weeting.

you're being generous there.....whiff!!!

stench more like....

cameron constantly trying to distance himself from corrupt people all around him in his party and in his private life!!!

i do hope karma plays it's part in this play.....

you're being generous there.....whiff!!!

stench more like....

cameron constantly trying to distance himself from corrupt people all around him in his party and in his private life!!!

i do hope karma plays it's part in this play.....

The problem is that politicians in power, of any political persuasion, attract sleaze like shit attracts flies.

It's how they handle it (either by distancing themselves from it or not getting caught in the first place) that distinguishes the competant from the incompetant.

Blair was good at it, Clinton was good at it, Cameron & Dubya are not.

Chris

Excellent news, the closer this one gets to Tory HQ the better IMO.

I think it's unlikely to lead to anyone's HQ in isolation -- all parties (if one can tell them apart) seem to have had an unhealthy relationship (to say the least) with much of the media. For that reason, it's likely not to go very far at all, and after a few sacrifices, we'll probably see a Hutton-style 'rounding off', and who knows, maybe a seal on all the paperwork for 70 years...

mrs brooks has now been arrested 3 times, for paying police officers, for phone hacking and now on evidence tampering/disrepute/perverting the course of justice....

best buddies of cameron....

i like the way you lot on the right seem so blinded by your adoration for these scum bags and overlook the seriousness of their hideous crimes against the public.

cameron is as crooked as his best buddies....i hope his house of cards comes tumbling down.

cameron is as crooked as his best buddies...

Undoubtedly. But you have to remember that his 'best buddies' in this sense include (at the very least) Blair, Campbell, Clegg, Osborne, Balls, Dame Shirley, Hoon, Brown, Prescott, Millibandii, etc., and the house of cards you mention supports a roof over all of them, so it probably won't collapse as none of them want that.

Any apparent differences between them are contrived by brand marketing. We should not be fooled by any of it.

mrs brooks has now been arrested 3 times, for paying police officers, for phone hacking and now on evidence tampering/disrepute/perverting the course of justice....

best buddies of cameron....

i like the way you lot on the right seem so blinded by your adoration for these scum bags and overlook the seriousness of their hideous crimes against the public.

cameron is as crooked as his best buddies....i hope his house of cards comes tumbling down.

Personally, I think she deserves to go to jail.

But let's get a little perspective, shall we Darren? Murder, rape, kidnap, gBH... these are hideous crimes. Bribing the police, & hacking into someones voicemail simply are not. Crimes, yes. But hideous crimes?
Chris

But let's get a little perspective, shall we Darren? Murder, rape, kidnap, gBH... these are hideous crimes. Bribing the police, & hacking into someones voicemail simply are not. Crimes, yes. But hideous crimes?
Chris

you are joking aren't you chris....not serious?

perverting the course of justice is a pretty serious crime....as to the hacking of the dowler family and the family of madeline mccann, you think that's harmless and acceptable or hideous like everyone else should.....no empathy if you don't feel aggrieved at those and they are the tip of a very big iceberg of crimes....

you are joking aren't you chris....not serious?

perverting the course of justice is a pretty serious crime....as to the hacking of the dowler family and the family of madeline mccann, you think that's harmless and acceptable or hideous like everyone else should.....no empathy if you don't feel aggrieved at those and they are the tip of a very big iceberg of crimes....

Darryl, you are foaming at the mouth. Calm down.

I am merely saying that in the spectrum of hideousness, compared to murder or rape, the offences Brooks has been charged with are pretty small beer. Not harmless or acceptable, but, in the final analysis, no one died, no one was left crippled, no one was robbed, even.

Now, if you want to rant and rave like some demented Daily Mail columnist, be my guest. But don't be suprised if you get the piss ripped out of you.

Chris

rapists are ok then chris because the nazi's killed 6 million people....on the mescalito sliding scale of human depravity.....

you are one that should be worried about people ripping the piss out of you.....!!!

bad show i'm afraid chris.....let's hope nothing bad ever happens to your family....

Certainly.

Chris

Obviously "Darren" will answer this for himself [Edit: excuse timewarp] but I personally think that bribing the police is actually pretty hideous, as it could easily undermine something which we should be able to take for granted -- ie, that the police are resolutely impartial on all matters. Obviously they're often not, but much of the latter half of the last century was spent by the police in elaborate self-evisceration in an effort to get rid of corruption, only for them to fall victim to politicisation, particularly post-1997. While ACPO remains a private company operating in a 'partnership agreement' with the Home Office and outside FOI (and unbelievably, that actually is the situation), there will be at least a cultural problem.

I have also heard a rumour that much of the "phone hacking" actually consisted of reporters working out which cellular network a particular number was issued by, ringing the voicemail service for that network from a landline, and entering the cellular number along with the default initial password for that network. If the user hadn't changed the default password, the reporter would get access to voicemail messages. Note that in one of the highest profile cases, the voicemail was 'hacked' but the hacker failed to conceal the fact that the messages had been 'read', which lends some credence. A proper hacker would have covered their tracks, and therefore I think it's likely that the adopted term over-glamourises something which could easily just be basic eavesdropping.

Now clearly this is still wrong and still a crime (and especially sub-human in that particular instance), but if correct it does beg the question of how much of it was intended to happen by some who were in a position to benefit from some press attention, and therefore tacitly 'invited' it.

Darryl, you are foaming at the mouth. Calm down.

I am merely saying that in the spectrum of hideousness, compared to murder or rape, the offences Brooks has been charged with are pretty small beer. Not harmless or acceptable, but, in the final analysis, no one died, no one was left crippled, no one was robbed, even.

Now, if you want to rant and rave like some demented Daily Mail columnist, be my guest. But don't be suprised if you get the piss ripped out of you.

Chris

Perverting the course of Justice (which Mrs Brooks is arested over this time), always results in a custodial sentance in the UK. Judge for yourself how serious it must be viewed to be. She was a manager responsible for the actions of a large number of employees. She has vacarious liability for their actions too. As such the courts may well make an example of her.

rapists are ok then chris because the nazi's killed 6 million people....on the mescalito sliding scale of human depravity.....

you are one that should be worried about people ripping the piss out of you.....!!!

bad show i'm afraid chris.....let's hope nothing bad ever happens to your family....

Really, Darren, you do like to work yourself into a tizzy, don't you?

Anyone with any kind of sense of proportion would not argue with the fact that Brooks' alleged crimes are not anything like as serious as murder or rape.
That is why the punishment tarrif for phone hacking will be considerably less draconian than that for murder or rape.

Chris

Really, Darren, you do like to work yourself into a tizzy, don't you?

Anyone with any kind of sense of proportion would not argue with the fact that Brooks' alleged crimes are not anything like as serious as murder or rape.
That is why the punishment tarrif for phone hacking will be considerably less draconian than that for murder or rape.

Chris

apart from my name being darryl not darren....i'm not foaming anywhere or in a tizzy!!!

i just find it laughable that you can defend these right wing criminals by saying that their crimes are not serious....that's totally irrational....especially on your past record of commenting on labour and their sympathisers....

In this context imo such a question is a distraction, & as illuminating as comparing chalk/cheese.
Hacking MPs & Ministers 'phones has the potential to change government. How serious is that?

apart from my name being darryl not darren....i'm not foaming anywhere or in a tizzy!!!

i just find it laughable that you can defend these right wing criminals by saying that their crimes are not serious....that's totally irrational....especially on your past record of commenting on labour and their sympathisers....

Darren (I apologise for my slip with your name), read my posts. I am not defending anyone. In fact I explicitely stated I thought Brooks , if found guilty, should be jailed.

I am merely stating the blindingly obvious. Bunging a copper is simply not to be compared with a crime which actualy causes people real harm or death.

I find the activities of the populist press utterly odious and have so stated on may occasions on this forum.

What I find even more odious is the fact that the only reason the gutter press resorts to the tactics it does is because the great unwashed will only buy their execrable rags if they do publish an unending stream of scurrulous tat.

Chris

isn't it funny how the same right wingers on here who said that there was serious rapes and not so serious rapes now try to justify highly criminal behaviour by people they support on a sliding scale of seriousness.....bewildering really.....

chris, i would have thought it bloody obvious that as mrs brooks has now seemingly been found out and to have lied after the previous denials and arrests that she should indeed be locked up.

what about the rest of them like the bent coppers and the murdoch crooks and his cronies who have denied all these accusations and now the evidence is showing a vast cover up....?

and that includes cameron knowing full well that coulson was implicated and still doing him a favour of a highly paid and important job, with all the security issues that are implied with it.....all crooks....

advertisement

Back