advertisement

The latest Annie Leibovitz controversy

Yes, I found myself nodding with agreement with Greer on the train this morning and I can't remember the last time that happened.

there are a lot of good points in the article and it's extremely well written (on top of being entertaining), but two things i don't agree with are 1) the attempt to portray corporate advertising evils from an entirely feminist angle and 2) the mind-reading interpretation of the photographer's motives.

vuk.

yeh thats just wrong, she's 15, end of. the dirty fat lezza paedophile.

i suppose you didn't read or understand large portions of the article. otherwise, you're going to have to come up with a series of arguments to counterbalance all the intelligent points the author made for your position to have any merit.

vuk.

fuss?

cuar01_miley0806.jpg

2184628132_db74a70931.jpg

bloody hell joe, we thought you'd sold your senior member badge and gone off on a world cruise.

have you been debriefed?

vuk.

I don't have to counter balance anything in thw article VUK, i couldn't give a toss what greer thinks, having to put up with her in the english dept at Warwick uni for 3 years was bad enough thank you very much.

i simply don't think it's right that we should be accepting the photography of children that protrays them as sexual objects, as the original show in VF so obviously does.

If you think we should then i'm all ears as to why. You can make it an 'art' argument if you like, and even try to be patronising towards me, you seem good at that, but taking photos of children is 'sexy' poses more becoming of adults is just plain wrong.

Children shouldn't be positioned to adults as objects of sexual desire, end of.

I don't have to counter balance anything in thw article VUK, i couldn't give a toss what greer thinks, having to put up with her in the english dept at Warwick uni for 3 years was bad enough thank you very much...............

Well, I hope you read English at Warwick more critically than you read that article. You have managed to misunderstand it completely.

I'm not a fan of Leibovitz, or magazine sleb portraiture in general, but I thought Germaine Greer wrote a lot of sense in the Guardian today, on the subject of Leibovitz's recent portrait of a 15 year old Disney star.

http://arts.guardian.co.uk/art/photography/story/0,,2276876,00.html

-- Ian

Annie Leibovitz can do little wrong in my eyes. She is an amasingly talented photographer and as far as the portrait in question is concerned, I think it is superb. Photographs should make you think and question which is exactly what this shot has done

advertisement

Back