advertisement

The journey continues (the AN-Js are here🫣)

I would advise that, whilst saving, you use an EL84 based valve amp.

Personally I wouldn't pay more than £600 for it but can say this is a fantastic combo (I have Snell J/II + S300)

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
...and speaker stands also critical. J's are thin walled cabs designed to resonate everywhere so light but rigid open stands (no top plate) are important. Otherwise they can sound a bit overwarm and loose IMR.
Something Solid XF stands are 'made for them' literally :) Not cheap however.

Despite having AN-js for many years I have only had authentic Audionote stands for a couple of years - great buy: £200 second hand, and tney came loaded with Atabites. Place them very carefully - I am waiting for a hernia operation.

^you both have tried open stands?
My J's (Snells) were on solid heavy stands for 3 years then I read about and tried open frame stands.
As described, IMO, better. less congested, more open, some bass bloom gone.
It's worth trying and forming your own opinion IME.

No argument there. It's 20 years ago now, but one of the alternatives I tried were Foundations, I can 'see' the others, but can't recall the manufacturer.

I found a pair of AN stands s/h, otherwise I might not have bothered — this was in the context of an office system — but the AN stands filled with dried sand, slightly past halfway, as per their advice, were clearly just 'right' in tandem with a Sugden a21.

Personally I wouldn't pay more than £600 for it but can say this is a fantastic combo (I have Snell J/II + S300)

Yes, for me with Taxes and shipping this would be 1.2k eur so I wouldn't go there.

But I am noting the recommendation !

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Despite having AN-js for many years I have only had authentic Audionote stands for a couple of years - great buy: £200 second hand, and tney came loaded with Atabites. Place them very carefully - I am waiting for a hernia operation.

However original AN stands are neither light nor open and that is probably the best choice

Nor pretty. But I'd agree, I had the genuine article under AN-Ks and they were audibly superior to a couple of equivalently priced alternatives. The wooden stool will be a long way short of optimum in the long term.

^you both have tried open stands?
My J's (Snells) were on solid heavy stands for 3 years then I read about and tried open frame stands.
As described, IMO, better. less congested, more open, some bass bloom gone.

This is Interesting!
Heavy closed vs open stands...I guess it may depend on the whole setup...room acoustics, system components, taste...

Obviously wooden IKEA stools are a temporary solution.

My intention was to have AN stand replicas made locally...primarily to avoid having heavy and bulky stands shipped to Cyprus.

It’s not really a journey;)

Clipboard02.jpg

Sorry I forgot you have to signal when a comment is tongue in cheek or humorous.

I’ve never really understand why everything is a journey these days (joke. I.e. not to be taken seriously or meant to offend).

Hope this is clear;)
Try watching a recent episode of Dragon's Den. If you turn it into a drinking game, you'll be hammered halfway through. They may have hit double figures recently, it assumed an element of farce toward the end. It's the new 'synergy,' which was the flavour of the month buzzword not so very long ago.

Sorry I forgot you have to signal when a comment is tongue in cheek or humorous.

I’ve never really understand why everything is a journey these days (joke. I.e. not to be taken seriously or meant to offend).

Hope this is clear;)
Possibly wave a red flag when not taking everything quite so seriously.

This is Interesting!
Heavy closed vs open stands...I guess it may depend on the whole setup...room acoustics, system components, taste...

Obviously wooden IKEA stools are a temporary solution.

My intention was to have AN stand replicas made locally...primarily to avoid having heavy and bulky stands shipped to Cyprus.

I had my Snell J’s on wooden IKEA kitchen chairs for a bit and they actually sounded very good…and I’m a believer in stands making a big difference.

My Snells are currently on the Skylan stands made for Harbeth Super HL5’s. Are those the opposite of light and open?

Pardon me for stating the obvious but if you bought the Audio Notes on 4/8 and today is 4/15 you might be better off running them in for another couple of weeks before evaluating their amp pairings. Peter Qvortrup would likely say, a lot more than a couple of weeks...

I had my Snell J’s on wooden IKEA kitchen chairs for a bit and they actually sounded very good…and I’m a believer in stands making a big difference.

My Snells are currently on the Skylan stands made for Harbeth Super HL5’s. Are those the opposite of light and open?
The IKEA stools do fit quite well size wise 😎

Never experienced the Skylans but they do seem very well made!

Pardon me for stating the obvious but if you bought the Audio Notes on 4/8 and today is 4/15 you might be better off running them in for another couple of weeks before evaluating their amp pairings. Peter Qvortrup would likely say, a lot more than a couple of weeks...

I guess, I never mentioned this but my AN-Js are a demo pair from 2020 so they had their break in with the AN dealer !

The ANJ’s (Blue hemp) we have are around 3 years old - they sound ‘fuller and richer’ as a result of ‘light’ use.
Re stands; we have both AN stands and home made wooden ones, both sound fine, though I prefer the wooden ones, perhaps sounding more natural. My hearing isn’t what it used to be, so I maybe deceiving myself - quite likely!

advertisement

Back