advertisement

The forthcoming demise of the Conservative minority government, May 2017-?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The PM was already weak, with a wonkii majority and a highly divided ppp.
But adding abusagedeon istm the gov are more fcuked than Weinerstein.

I'm not so sure about that, given the cross-party nature of the allegations. Even if May was toppled/resigned, that would not in itself bring down the government. Tory MPs, however pissed off they are about May's leadership, will probably let her stagger on until Brexit is done. Apart from anything else, many of them know they would probably lose their seats if another General Election was called.

I agree it's a totally cross party problem and all credibility is equally in jeopardy.
Just pondering how such an epic undermining of politics/politicians might affect the current encumbants.
And as you were 100% re: Dave will survive this, and I was 99.9% wrong, of course I defer to your foresight.

I'm not so sure about that, given the cross-party nature of the allegations. Even if May was toppled/resigned, that would not in itself bring down the government. Tory MPs, however pissed off they are about May's leadership, will probably let her stagger on until Brexit is done. Apart from anything else, many of them know they would probably lose their seats if another General Election was called.

What about when the Brexit impact assessments are published? That could be the last straw that breaks the camel's back. And this is before any more revelations come to light (I'm sure we haven't heard the last of them, by a long way).

It's probably a good smokescreen for Fox to sell more hollow point rounds to his BFF in Manila in exchange for fish sauce rights or for Davis to use his senior rail card on Eurostar with his empty briefcase.

I agree it's a totally cross party problem and all credibility is equally in jeopardy.
Just pondering how such an epic undermining of politics/politicians might affect the current encumbants.
And as you were 100% re: Dave will survive this, and I was 99.9% wrong, of course I defer to your foresight.

My political predicting skills are such that it's a good job I'm not a betting man.

:) But you did nail Dave's survivability! Tony L is also very good at this type of foresight ime of pfm.

That could be the last straw that breaks the camel's back.

According to this forum there is a last straw every five minutes, "oh they definitely won't survive this latest revelation"

Govts are like cockroaches, it would take a few gallons of pesticide to knock this one out. The tory govt is going nowhere, they have five years to fleece the country and line their pockets as they know they are never coming back after brexit and will fight absolutely tooth and nail to stay in for this term.

As Joe P said (for years) "cameron will never survive this"

Even Laura is distancing herself from Theresa by the looks of it. :eek: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41894534

"The Westminster rumour mill loves nothing more than to predict drama, even Armageddon.

And it is, of course, always dangerous to predict anything. No one knows what happens next, political calm could yet be restored.

But at the very least this is a bad day at the office for Theresa May and right now, this does not feel like a government in control of events."

Even Laura is distancing herself from Theresa by the looks of it. :eek: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41894534

"The Westminster rumour mill loves nothing more than to predict drama, even Armageddon.

And it is, of course, always dangerous to predict anything. No one knows what happens next, political calm could yet be restored.

But at the very least this is a bad day at the office for Theresa May and right now, this does not feel like a government in control of events."
I liked the way Damian Green is referred to as Teresa May's number two. Couldn't have put it better myself.

And Priti Patel petition here

https://www.change.org/p/uk-parliam...l-mp-to-resign-over-secret-meetings-in-israel

The best way to overthrow any government is to sign lots of petitions. It's even more effective than writing an angry letter to The Times.

The Tories will stay in power as long as they want to, unless they have a serious falling-out with the DUP, and the DUP won't want Corbyn as PM. May will remain PM until a) the majority of the Tory party identify someone less bad behind whom they can unite or b) she decides she's had enough and packs it in.

Corbyn is gaining a lot of traction from the tax dodger narrative. The revolting peasants can be turned round from facing Brussels with their pitchforks and guttering torches and directed to the scammers concealing billions with the assistance of...ahem..British controlled 'tax havens'. Arlene Foster's* been burning their money (literally) too.

*apple predictive text turned her into "Artin Fister". Apple know stuff.

Corbyn is gaining a lot of traction from the tax dodger narrative. The revolting peasants can be turned round from facing Brussels with their pitchforks and guttering torches and directed to the scammers concealing billions with the assistance of...ahem..British controlled 'tax havens'. Arlene Foster's* been burning their money (literally) too.

*apple predictive text turned her into "Artin Fister". Apple know stuff.

Doesn't matter the tories have 4.5 years left and will never let go of their grip.

Corbyn can become the next messiah (or just a very naughty boy) but he won't become PM anytime soon.

The best way to overthrow any government is to sign lots of petitions. It's even more effective than writing an angry letter to The Times.
Good point. We should all just do nothing.

Actually I think they do worry the government - that recent one for a fresh referendum had months to run, and was going great guns.
They answered it really early - after a week or two - because a petition with a few million signatures getting an insulting and offhand dismissal begins to look like ignoring the will of the people, one with a only few hundred thousand is able to be dismissed with impunity.

This is not a parliamentary petition, so will not be susceptible to similar manipulation.

Perhaps you've had bad experiences writing to the Times, hence your down on it?

Love the BBC's "understanding" of Ms Patel's selfless devotion to duty on her hols. :rolleyes:

The BBC understands Ms Patel suggested some of Britain's aid budget go to the Israeli army, after the visit.

She asked her officials to see if Britain could support humanitarian operations conducted by the Israeli army in the occupied Golan Heights area.

The BBC understands the Foreign Office advised that since Britain did not officially recognise Israel's annexation of the area, it would be hard for the Department for International Development to work there.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41896756

Re Priti Patel

"ministers must ensure that no conflict arises, or could reasonably be perceived to arise, between their public duties and private interests, financial or otherwise".

I'd say a coach and horses was driven through this, May has done less than nothing about it, and Patel needs to be held accountable.

Petition to do so a few posts up. #91

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back