advertisement

The edge of audibility

After listening to the two files...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
What I don't get about this experiment is, how can anyone judge the impact of a change of components inSteven's system, a) through computer speakers? b) via a computer file replayed on their system? c) not being there?

Paul, because that isn't the aim of the experiment, rather, it's whether any difference can be heard between two samples at all when replayed on many other systems.

To see if such a minor (my original opinion) change can simply make it through the re-record and play back chain and be picked up by those willing to listen on varied playback systems is useful as a comparitive tool, not necessarily a tool for saying how the system sounds but one for showing differentiation, comparison, contrast.

Mark

Paul, because that isn't the aim of the experiment, rather, it's whether any difference can be heard between two samples at all when replayed on many other systems.

To see if such a minor (my original opinion) change can simply make it through the re-record and play back chain and be picked up by those willing to listen on varied playback systems is useful as a comparitive tool, not necessarily a tool for saying how the system sounds but one for showing differentiation, comparison, contrast.

Mark

Sorry Mark, I think my point stands. How can you hear differences in how the components in Steven's system by playback using computer speakers, headphones, or as I say, not being there?

Not the full extent of the difference, simply whether we can hear any difference at all.

My theory is, if we can hear a small change via re-record - playback (which may very well be a larger difference in person) then at least that change exists, and according to the losses of the system give credibility to what we are talking about.

The recorders are very revealing, if a change is worth anything at all, it should make it through.

We all have our opinions on what value a change has, mine is that the majority of these tweaks are miniscule and not worth a thing, however I'll admit this very test might turn that around, at least in my mind.

I could hear a difference, I wasn't expecting that.

If what you are saying is that you don't think a rinky dink laptop soundacrd and headphones is up to the job then I'd probably agree with you. I'm not sure how many people are using that set-up.

I listen through MAC-USB-Young DAC, pre-amp- monos- Focal 1027's and I'm very happy with the way it sounds in my room. it is actually very like superimposing Steven's set-up on my own, or at least the more obvious parts of it. I'm lucky in that I have a very, very flat frequency response in my room with very few peaks and troughs just a smooth bass tail off under 35hz. I imagine if you have an uneven bass response in your own room that the files could sound truly awful, compounding Steven's less than flat bass response in his own room.

Sorry Mark, I think my point stands. How can you hear differences in how the components in Steven's system by playback using computer speakers, headphones, or as I say, not being there?

It is obviously not as good as being there, but there is probably not sufficient room in Steven's living room for 11,000 of us! A good recording (and I do think this is a pretty good one, certainly much better than I was expecting) is the best we can expect to interact with in order to partake on the thread.

I'd also argue that headphones are a superb evaluation tool, I've got a pair of Sennheiser HD-600 knocking around, and I'm sure many here have cans of equal or greater quality. One needs to spend an awful lot on a pair of loudspeakers to compete with such headphones IMO. They are certainly capable revealing very subtle differences in recordings, even if those recorded differences are inevitably less than those originally witnessed live by Steven and Simon.

Tony.

yes, I listened through my cans (my best ones).

the good news -

I bet Steven's system is quite enjoyable in the flesh

the bad -

I don't believe I could blindfolded differentiate between the clips.

Hopefully whatever equipment was used to make the difference wasn't very expensive (I haven't read the whole thread).

I like the track by the way. Is It Ray Lamontagne? I think I have whatever it is somewhere.

Its from 'Until the sun turns black', which is my favourate Ray Lamontangne record.

I have to say I foumd the samples did not superimpose very well over my room, but I do consistently prefer one over the other. Like Bottleneck, I don't know if I could reliably do so blind. One seems to have better control over the bass, and lacks a certain shoutiness in the mid range.

Mind you, that be my room I'm hearing....

I cant tell at all over the office system though, and I suspect headphones would be. Best for this.

Cant wait to see nhow wrong I am!

OK. I think we aren't going to collect many more new posters so...

Could you please post stating which one you preferred, if you could reliably choose between them and then list the filename.

Answers after everyone have posted.

Ok, I'll do it over the next couple of days.

- Standard from spur
- Daisy chained reels
- something utterly bonkers and insane just for a laugh, probably involving sweet wrappers.

Pics, measurements, and files to play and examine.

We'll put the pre, power amp and dac on each version.
Speakers playing at a decent volume to generate some vibration. This will also modulate the current drawn from the mains.
I'll use a digital source for best consistency.

Happy to amend.

Been there, done it, ages ago:

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showpost.php?p=419009&postcount=85

I'd be interested to read if you get a similar subjective result.

Listening just with headphones from the PC, I don't think I would be able to differentiate blind between them. Will try through the DAC and main system later. Agree a poll is calling

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back