advertisement

The edge of audibility

After listening to the two files...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Steven,

Are you running supertweeters with your Tannoys?

Joe

Steven,

Just wondering what you think of supertweeters and whether modern Tannoys benefit from them.

(This has nothing to do you your and Simon's test.)

Joe

Steven,

I'm guessing the compression drivers on the modern Tannoys reach a little higher than the old drivers.

I tried the Tannoy STs with my vintage Tannoys and thought the difference was worthwhile, but the cost of the things is rather disproportionate to the improvement.

Joe

Well, well well well!

I heard a difference, won't say which one until you want me to but I heard it, it was a fundamental difference in listenability, how to describe it, umm, nothing to do with frequency response but more to do with 'singingness'

Have I just invented a word?

How about even-harmonicness?

Nice sounding setup btw.

Mark

I haven't used Naim in quite a while and when I did it was the second system, thinking about it there was very little Naim in my Naim after modification if you see what I mean.

I use TAG, Restek, Dynaudio.

Listened to the samples via computers bog standard soundcard > Rotel RA-971 > Beyer 911 headphones and Zingali Coloseum micro monitor type things on my computer only system.

I've listened via a cheap in-ear phones plugged into my laptop. I can't tell any difference. I need to use something better.

Anyone else had a go?

When I say "nice sounding system" I don't mean nice as in polite.

I mean nice as in Des Lynams niiiiiiiiice niiiiiiiiice (with a nod)

Very good, ah yes.

<moderating>

I've split this thread out from the Russ Andrews one as it's a whole subject of it's own, and a damn site more interesting IMO.

Tony.

PS Simon / Steve, if you want it converting to a poll just let me know the options by PM and I'll sort it out. Likewise if you'd prefer a different title - I just used Simon's from the duplicate thread / cross-post at AoS.

slightly off-topic, I do reccomend auditioning use of a further tweeter with horns that do mids.

Whether its TAD, JBL or Tannoy DC, none of them go as high as a good modern tweeter, nevermind supertweeter.

Whether the difference is ''worth the money'' is another question, and perhaps a good idea to audition something, and explore a simple DIY solution.

Anyway, carry on.

I have no view to promote on the mains thing, I wasn't there, and I dont like relying on recordings.

Steven,

I've listened via a cheap in-ear phones plugged into my laptop. I can't tell any difference. I need to use something better
I'll have a listen tonight if I get a chance.

Still at work, working for the man, man.

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back