advertisement

The classical what are you listening to now ? thread.

Szymanowski - wowed by the 3rd Symphony and Stabat Mater

but surprised that the above are so good, yet I'm really struggling with the string quartets... a lot of caterwauling!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Mahler 5: Cleveland Orchestra under Christoph von Dohnány. This recording has stood the test of time and it’s a fine reading. I heard them perform it live and it had the same effect on me, whereas at two other concerts- Philippe Jordan dissected it and Jansons subjectively slowed it to almost a standstill. Jordan showed you how it was constructed but interrupted the flow- to give the effect of hearing it in episodes.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MUSUNGN/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

Disc one of the Koeckert's cycle. The first three Op 18 quartets. The sound is cello light and first violin heavy, but the ensemble play together very well and display a sort of natural music making style of the later Vegh, though not to the same extent. The notes for the set are Japanese only, except for movement names and recording date info in the back of the booklet, and the discs are contained in soft-fiber sheaths of the type I've encountered only with other Japanese market releases (eg, Takahiro Sonoda's Denon recordings).

Disc two. The last three Op 18 quartets. Unsurprisingly, it's much like the first disc. The final quartet is especially fine, with an almost sweet sound, especially in the Adagio.

Disc three. The first two Op 59 quartets. The Koeckert up their game. The playing retains the natural, easy feel. Not for those wanting the most fiery and bold playing, but for those wanting serious but fun and searching playing, it's good stuff.

Disc four. The third Op 59 quartet and Op 74. The last Rasumovsky is outstanding, with smooth, fluid playing. Same with Op 74. The sound on the latter is slightly better, with a bit more cello heft and a warmer violin tone. This is turning out to be an eminently satisfying set.

Disc five. Opp 127 and 131. Op 127 starts off a bit light and fun, with hints of late-LvB seriousness, and gradually becomes more serious. The playing maintains the somewhat laid back feel of the earlier recordings, but the tempi are not slow. It's really very fine. Op 131 is all rarified and elevated and transcendent playing, though it is never too heavy, and indeed, when it should be more joyous, it most decidedly sounds that way. This is some fine late LvB.

Disc six. Opp 132 and 135. Sublime music sublimely played. There's no faulting the Koeckert's playing, but the mono sound presents limitations in the third movement, with the instrumental dialogue limited in aural space. Op 135 comes off as highly elevated classicism, rather better than what lesser beings might pen.

Disc seven. Opp 95 and 130, with the revised ending and Op 133 tacked on as an extra track - that is, the proper way. Op 95 is a bit slower than normal in all movements except the serioso third movement, which is quite vibrant. The opening movement is slow-ish but most effective, while the final movement is very slow and dramatic until the coda. Typically, I prefer more pep in this work, but the Koeckert deliver. Op 130 starts off with the lighter feel of Op 127, to excellent effect. The playing has depth when needed (Andante, Cavatina), but the Alla danza tedesca is sweet and the Allegro fun. Here's great late Beethoven of a lighter sort. The Grosse Fugue comes off a bit lighter and more relaxed than normal, and might work better as a closer in this style, but I still prefer the revised ending.

Overall, the Koeckert cycle is really quite delightful. Its ease and naturalness akin to the Vegh's makes it easy to listen to and enjoy, and if it doesn't displace my established favorites, I foresee it earning a spot with them after a few more years and listens.

Radio 3, Live from The Met, Tosca. The profane Te Deum end of Act 1 was indeed malignant.”Tosca you make me forget God”. Sonya Yoncheva sounded eerily like Callas in her prime.

Last edited:
Mahler 2 - Zander... in quadraphonic surround sound, no less!

51pm1RnvKCL._AC_US218_.jpg

I'm listening and I'm trying. I'm trying really hard. Really really, I'm trying. You gotta believe me. :)

I've never been able to warm up to Debussy. But still trying after all these years.

Amazon

^ Well if that Haitink/Concertgebouw recording of La Mer still didn't work for you, nothing will I'm afraid. Its on my list of greatest classical recordings of all time, other versions pale by comparison.

^ Well if that Haitink/Concertgebouw recording of La Mer still didn't work for you, nothing will I'm afraid. Its on my list of greatest classical recordings of all time, other versions pale by comparison.
I should have the house to myself later and will listen to La Mer with no interruptions. Who knows, I may become a Debussy fan yet.

Today some Mozart string quartets from a 7 CD Warner box set by the Alban Berg Quartett - he wrote some great tunes and they come in compact form here. Superb performances.

I just finished listening to disc 36 of this 50 Great Recordings box set: Mendelssohn and Bruch violin concertos. Great stuff indeed and highly enjoyable :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_s...ield-keywords=beethoven+piano+trios+complete+

The LvB Trios have been a favorite for years, but cds of violin music have tended to be fatiguing after a while. An addition to the kit has changed all that, so as usual with any significant upgrade, all my favorites are getting a 'spin'.

I have a very old Beaux Art set - unsure whether the current Decca box is the same or later recordings, and maybe there are better options by now. Todd?

I have a very old Beaux Art set - unsure whether the current Decca box is the same or later recordings, and maybe there are better options by now. Todd?

The new Decca box has both BAT cycles, and all their other LvB recordings. Among other cycles I've heard, I prefer both the Trio Owon (Asian market release, though non-Asian Amazons have it at a steep price) and the incomplete but complete enough Oliver Schnyder Trio on Sony from last year. Though I've not heard it yet, the Florestan Trio set on Hyperion gets uniformly good reviews and comments.

Today

Stephane Deneve conducts Debussy, 2 CDs with the RSNO on Chandos - 2012

Tchaikovsky Symphonies 1 and 2 LPO Mstislav Rostropovich - EMI 1976 - 1977

Stockhausen Oktophonie 1990 - 1991

advertisement

Back