advertisement

The cat has now moved in amongst the pigeons

Like with many things, it actually quite hard to buy a bad camera now.

But one of the main points of mirrorless is the overall size of the package, and until Canon invest properly in sensible size EOS M series glass then it's not the camera system of choice, 4 dedicated zooms and two primes is all they offer now, and yes you can connect any EF lens with an adapter, once you've done that the size of the package says you might as well have bought a DSLR anyway.

They need to be investing in a range of decent mirrorless size glass, and not worrying about the latest body tech.

I think it proves that Fuji/Olympus/Sony are eating into their market. I'm told that the USA is still very much a DSLR market, but Europe and Asia have embraced the smaller form factor with enthusiasm. The compact / occasional use market has decided the iPhone is good enough, so the serous camera manufacturers need to make their living from CSC and DSLR. I think it may take Canon and Nikon some time to catch up, as they don't seem to have quite "got it" in the way Fuji have for instance.

I'm sure this will be a nice camera, but given that the better EOS glass is big and heavy, most of that size advantage will be lost. That's what I like about the Fuji X series: they designed it from the ground up to be a new system, with lenses to match the cameras. I'm not regretting my move FROM Canon at all at this point. Ask me in six months though :)

I think that Fuji have got the tactile feel handling spot on, proper dials for everything, and an aperture ring, it makes taking a photo a positive experience, rather than controlling a spaceship through menus and multifunction buttons.

I'm not totally sure I agree (at this point): I always found the X-Pro1 rather awkward in a 'menus and random buttons' way as compared to the EOS, though the X-T10 is better in that regard. I haven't even handled an X-T2 but it certainly looks to have all of the ergonomic boxes ticked :)

I'm sure this will be a nice camera, but given that the better EOS glass is big and heavy, most of that size advantage will be lost.

I see what you mean in this Sony example :)

DSC8479.jpg

Personally, I am never going to be interested in a relatively tiny retro body. I actually like a big camera that handles beautifully. One that doesn't need a pocket full of batteries for a days shoot too.

I fully understand the attraction of something like the Fuji's for street, abstract and landscape work but for my needs, sports and wildlife, it doesn't even come close to being of interest.........yet:)

I am not in the market for an M5 either, just wanted to read the comments and it won't be long before the reviews appear.

CSC sales are still way, way lagging behind SLR's overall and for many people, iPhones are good enough anyway.

Well it's certainly the sort of camera people will be shooting with in the future, and it looks like canon have woken up to the fuji challenge in this respect.

It's all going to come down to lenses. The fuji X lenses aren't exactly cheap, you are looking at the same sort of money for their telephotos as for canon full frame compatible ones, which makes me wonder what exactly is going on...

I'll be keen to have a play when they are generally available.

Oh, and another annoying exposure compensation wheel that'll get jogged into some dodgy setting when it's over your shoulder. I do like manual controls, but not ones that change themselves!

advertisement

Back