advertisement

The 8 Best High End Amps for Listening to Vinyl (according to The Vinyl Factory)

djftw

Heterodox Member
https://thevinylfactory.com/features/8-best-high-end-amplifiers-vinyl/

This article annoys me for a few reasons, not least that whist ostensibly about playing back "vinyl" it fails to mention whether they have phono stages. Not a bad list though, there are a few (latest versions) of my favourite intergrateds on there, some I've never heard but know by reputation, and only one I've never heard of...

...but I think there are a lot of people on here who could have come up with a better one!

So have at it, best 8 High End (feel free to use your own definition) Amps for listening to Vinyl. As this is Pinkfish, 2nd hand and kit/diy is of couse allowed, as are pre/power/supply combos!

At least 3 out of the 8 don't have phono stages, so how are they the "best" for vinyl ? and one is so low in output, that it isn't a great match with many speakers.

A peculiar list.

'Hi end' for vinyl surely uses a separate phono amp.

In % terms a phono amp is applying far more gain than the speaker amplifier, especially WRT low out MC carts. Also applying RIAA correction.

Hence requiring specific electronics.

The article seems like circular marketing jumping on a current craze. For the reasons above 'the top eight high end phono stages for listening to vinyl' would be far more relevant.

Why eight could they only find eight sponsors for the article ?

Interesting use of the phrase 'high end'. In my view it looks like the extreme low end of a budget range.

I think 'high end' is the equivalent of 'best' bitter, I suspect no one would order a pint of 'mediocrity' bitter.

What a very silly article.

Most of that kit is marginally above 'budget'. Nothing wrong with any of it I suspect.. but 'high end?' Hardly.

I can't be arsed figuring out what the Vinyl Factory is supposed to be, but the article just strikes me poorly researched 'filler'.

'Hi end' for vinyl surely uses a separate phono amp.

In % terms a phono amp is applying far more gain than the speaker amplifier, especially WRT low out MC carts. Also applying RIAA correction.

Hence requiring specific electronics.

The article seems like circular marketing jumping on a current craze. For the reasons above 'the top eight high end phono stages for listening to vinyl' would be far more relevant.

Why eight could they only find eight sponsors for the article ?

That does not have to be the case, although it is usually true but for economic reasons mainly.

The only negative issue of having a phono stage within either a pre amp or an integrated is the possibility of hum from the proximity of the mains transformer but good layout and proper screening can get around that.

A really good MC phono stage is necessarily an expensive piece of kit and "fad and fashion" have lately dictated that a manufacturer save his very best phono circuitry for use in a separate phono stage... simple as that really.

Please do not post the Low End list.

Ha, I think they did a "budget" one, but it wasn't of much interest...

So is anyone going to post their own list? That was my hope, much more interesting than slagging off an article on the tinterweb!

As for the 'best amps for vinyl', that's a non-starter for me, because the best amps are the best amps regardless of format, unless you're running something weird like a Theta DAC (with 4V output) into a high gain preamp i.e. basic matching practices.

It's not an article it's an advertorial.

...or

its a what can we fill up these blank pages with article

Or it's clickbait etc. etc. I thought that was a given on the internet?

As for the 'best amps for vinyl', that's a non-starter for me, because the best amps are the best amps regardless of format, unless you're running something weird like a Theta DAC (with 4V output) into a high gain preamp i.e. basic matching practices.

Fairy-nuff...Best amps then; either with a similarly brilliant on board phono stage, or where one is absent or not up to muster stating a matching Best Phono Stage!

That's easy for me.

Paradise for a phono stage and Parallel 86 (bridged) for amplifiers.

With a Bruno Putzeys balanced pre amp between.

High (ish ?) end low cost (ish)

Nice! Sort of stuff that makes me wish I had a steadier hand and a better attention span!

One of these,

images

clamps to hold the boards, a steady to steady your hand.

What was the other problem :D

Oh lots of time and research.

A good supply of Stout.

One of these,

images

clamps to hold the boards, a steady to steady your hand.

What was the other problem :D

Oh lots of time and research.

A good supply of Stout.

Sorry to go off at a tangent: but please could you post a link to this item (or something similar). Exactly what I need for cartridge alignment. T.I.A

advertisement

Back