advertisement

The 7” thread

Tony L

Administrator
Given that the 7” single is the format of choice for many new and interesting bands / artists I feel we should devote a thread to discuss such things. I’ll start with the four that the postman brought me today:

iLiKETRAiNS – The Deception. The latest in a fairly long line of singles from Leeds based historical post-rockers and their second for Beggars Banquet. Album due later in the year. It is wonderful stuff.

Catriona Irving – Running On Empathy / Hindsight. Lovely simplistic girl plus acoustic guitar stuff that almost fits into the freak-folk genre, think somewhere around Joanna Newsome, Regina Spektor and possibly even Rickie Lee Jones. I found a beautiful cloth bagged promo of her 2nd single in a bargain bin last week and immediately tracked this one, her debut, down. It’s a beautiful item limited to 550 and comes with some crayons so you can colour the sleeve in. Chick, guitar, crayons - what more could you possibly want?

I Was A Cub Scout – Our Smallest Adventures / Bless You. Superb electronica ‘n’ real drums backed indie-pop. This really is very, very good. I can’t wait for the album.

The Strange Death Of Liberal England – Oh Solitude / The Forgotten Family. 2nd single from a band who describe themselves as “Apolyptic post-rock singing, dancing, clapping and shouting”, which sounds fine to me. Lovely white vinyl in a heavy paper over board cover just like their debut.

I love what people are doing with this format at the moment and frequently take punts based on nothing more than liking the name, cover design or colour of the vinyl! More recommendations please.

Tony.

****ed up was certainly not a band i was expecting to see mentioned on this forum.

advertisement

Back