advertisement

Teddy Pardo power supply vs. Naim PS with DR

naimnut

Deep in the Mines of Soul
Hi All,

I'm an on-again, off-again participant in this forum, tending to read quite a bit more than I post, and always enjoy it when I check in. I've been on the board for several years. I suppose I don't read as much as I used to because I'm pretty well satisfied with my system (LP12/ittok/dynavector 17D3/Linto - Naim CD 3.5 - Fostex CR300 -Naim 82/hicap - 135s - Apogee centaurus minors) This is a system with many obvious upgrade opportunities and compromises but it was assembled based on availability on the used market and what equipment was available at the time.

I'm curious if anyone has compared any of Teddy Pardo's power supplies to the new Naim power supplies with DR. Note that I've not studied the promotional literature of the DR technology much but from what I have read it sounded to me like Naim took a look at what Teddy was doing and redesigned their power supplies based on their evaluation of what they saw. Is this perception even close?

Upgrading my hicap to DR status is unlikely, or implementing one of Naim's DR power supplies on my cd 3.5, but I can imagine myself buying one of teddy's dual teddycaps with napsc and moving my hicap to my cd 3.5. I'd expect that to be a pretty significant upgrade. Interestingly, I've read very few reviews where folks preferred the sound of the Naim power supply (pre-DR) to the products that teddy offers.

Thoughts?

Markus

Hi Markus welcome back,
have a look via the search function there been quite a few threads of late looking into exactly this. From what i can gather the DR version retains more of the naim house sound. I am using a TeddycapIII to power my pre and i really like what it does compared to the standard hi-cap. For the price the TCIII is a no brain er and i am sorely tempted to go full Teddy. I think Naim did indeed have a close look at what Teddy was doing.......

Hi Nirvanah,

I've read many positive reviews of Teddy's equipment over the years, and did use the search function on the forum to seek out comparisons between his PSs and the DR config of Naim PSs, but didn't find anything.

I concur that Teddy's dual Teddycap seems like a no-brainer. Only a matter of priorities and urgencies. I seem to spend all my extra money on A) house repairs or B) music. Upgrades have been low enough on the priority list that I haven't pulled the trigger on any yet. My question was really motivated more by curiosity than a desire to move ahead with an upgrade. But Teddy's products are priced so reasonably and have such a fair "try it and return if not satisfied" policy that they seem like the best option.

thanks so much for your post. Glad to hear you're a believer in Teddy's products.

Markus

I believe he'll be at the National Audio Show in two weeks time, and I'm in need of a HiCap........and possibly even a NAPSC.....hmmmm, wouldn't it be a good idea if somebody did a combined unit.

Teddy has confirmed that he will be at the NAS. I'm already known as a champion of this products. If you are thinking of that ps upgrade or the pre or one of his dacs then a visit might just convince you. I never fail to be amazed at the performance to price ratio and the naim upgrade itch has disappeared. However, the forcoming addition of a tt means that the dac-vc will have to be replaced by a preamp plus separate dac. Still staggeringly good value for money.

Regards

Try putting "teddycap" in the search engine I just did and plenty came forth. You could sell your hi-cap and buy a new unit from teddy and have change left over. I am finding I want more of what his products do and a bit less shout if that makes sense. I also find I am hearing more as that upper in your face sound is tamed s bit but in a very good way, mind you I am getting older and think my hearing taste is changing. I don't want that extreme analytical detail more I want a balanced listening experience.

I believe he'll be at the National Audio Show in two weeks time, and I'm in need of a HiCap........and possibly even a NAPSC.....hmmmm, wouldn't it be a good idea if somebody did a combined unit.

Teddy will indeed be there and I'm doing my very best to get there as well. I'm really looking forward to hearing his speakers. I am fully Teddied so I know just how damn good it should be sounding at the show.

Teddy will indeed be there and I'm doing my very best to get there as well. I'm really looking forward to hearing his speakers. I am fully Teddied so I know just how damn good it should be sounding at the show.

Looking forward to a quick report when you get back Bob.

Hi Bob, are the SL2's off the radar now?

In the short to medium term yes they are off the radar. Maybe one day I will work out that that SL2s are the ultimate speaker for me but I feel I may be drawn to a more round earth design. A lot of factors have led me to this conclusion. I'm sure it will all come out in the wash...... as it were...

I had seen you other post in regards your being given the green light to procure a pair after a recent purchase myself.

Regards
Harry

I had seen you other post in regards your being given the green light to procure a pair after a recent purchase myself.

Regards
Harry

You're right. Green light given to get a pair but rooms have changed about our home and maybe SL2s are not the answer. I still think they are the best speakers out there if the IBL floats one's boat.

I replaced some early IBL's with the SL2's. They certainly are a step up on the ibbles particularly in lower registers, with the same sort sonic signature. Little more revealing also.

Harry

[omg]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/11/ajane2yr.jpg[/IMG]

eju5y2y8.jpg

advertisement

Back