advertisement

Technics SL5310 & cartridge advice

xtal_recorder

Hi all - new poster here.

I am wondering if you can help with the following...

I was lucky to pick up a Technics SL5310 turntable at a good price and have a few questions I'd really appreciate help with...

First of all, the deck came with an audio-technica headshell and a mystery cart:

I also received the following:

I'm assuming that the loose headshell is the original for the deck. The blue cart appears dead straight whereas the AT120E has I think a slight bend to one side and I'm sure is a reason for the replacement:

I have no idea of the history of the deck so I'm wondering if anyone has any advice (which shell / cart to use) as it's not really something I know a lot about.

I'm just waiting for a suitable plug before I try it out (it's a two-pin European plug without fuse).

I also have no idea about tracking force and how to set the arm up (I'm assuming the arm is common across other decks?)

Thank you in advance

Apologies - I can't seem to upload or share images on the post.

I keep getting the message:

• Your content can not be submitted. This is likely because your content is spam-like or contains inappropriate elements. Please change your content or try again later. If you still have problems, please contact an administrator.

A nice deck from a time.when Technics churned out good quality consumer decks that were built to last.

Vinyl engine contains the service manual which should contain the information you need however i can't post a link as a get the same error!

When you mentioned blue cart I instantly thought AT110E though AT carts are usually marked clearly.

Tracking force or bias is set by a round dial near the tonearm base and should initially be set to the same number as the suggested VTF for your cart. So for an AT120E the playing weight is 1.4g within a range of 1.0 to 1.8g . So the tracking force dial should.also be set to 1.4.
I find.on.some technics decks like yours that the tracking force is often a little high so back it off a bit but as a starting point the suggested value is fine.

Thank you, Graham.

The blue cart is a AT72E. I had to do a Google image search but found it finally.

It's currently set up with the Audio Technica headshell and a Nagaoka MP11.

Seemed to run a little slow in Quartz mode (33RPM) but with manual adjustment, it's running perfectly with .01% variance.

Sounds great but I'm wondering if I should switch back to the headshell which came with the deck...

Thank you again

advertisement

Back