advertisement

Technics SL-P777 C.D. Player

Big Tabs

looking backwards, going forwards
There is a Technics SL-P777 c.d. player for sale near me and although I don’t need a c.d. player, this looks interesting.

Any comments on sound quality etc welcome.

(the one near me is £149, serviced, but no remote control)

At just £149 it's not a big issue on the scale of things but you might want to research the availability of replacement lasers so as to be able to make an informed decision.

At just £149 it's not a big issue on the scale of things but you might want to research the availability of replacement lasers so as to be able to make an informed decision.

Any comment on the sound quality?

I am not bothered if the c.d. player reproduction is so-so.

Any comment on the sound quality?

I am not bothered if the c.d. player reproduction is so-so.
I haven't heard one.

I just did a google images search and the internals look to be mid-range quality. It's not a high end player.

I haven't heard one.

I just did a google images search and the internals look to be mid-range quality. It's not a high end player.

Thank you. That is useful.

The little I could find suggested that it was high end.

A 7 in the model number indicates upper-mid consumer range, one level below the 9 model. Certainly not high-end like a proper high-end Technics (e.g. this is proper high-end https://audio-database.com/TechnicsPanasonic/player/sl-p2000-e.html).

I would say the 777 is the sort of player you would buy for the looks - masses of buttons and a very nice display. From the golden age of mass market Japanese hi-fi. Minimalism be damned!

Not a bad price looking at what they go for on eBay, but will largely depend on condition. There's always potential for lots of icky buttons on Technics CD players of that vintage. Plus testing to make sure all the buttons/controls work will take you all day... 😄

Last edited:

advertisement

Back