advertisement

Tannoy Monitor Golds

Without wanting to de-rail the thread - Dave you should hear what the FM1 is capable of when fed a nice stable supply and with the output is properly buffered. This last bit is the key - the FM1 output is taken from the discriminator directly, and so if the design load (100Kohm IIRC) isn't met, then not only is de-emphasis completely wrong but the quality of the output is inherently distorted. Many got plugged into amps with , say 47K inputs and then sound...a bit duff.

But yes, it's the industrial design I'm a sucker for.

They are! They bloody are! 15” ones too!

3308071073_9025d8a449_o.jpg

Phwoaar. pilgrimage to PFM HQ required.

I know real Tannoyistas don't like Lancaster cabs, they seem to be considered worst of breed, but these certainly sound really nice.
Tony.

I wonder why this is? Is it down to the Haden Boardman article in Hi-Fi World on Tannoys that was run in November 1998?

I'm looking to buy a pair of Lancasters soon but I did have a listen to a pair of Chatsworths. They just didn't sound as good to me as the Lancasters. Lacked a bit of detail.

There's something about those bloody great big bolts holding the speakers in that appeals to me. "These speakers are not here to piss about" is what that says to me :)

Thanks Martin, you'll need to send some cash to a gorilla and £9.30 to me for postage (it's surprisingly heavy, I don't think I'll be able to pack it under 4Kg) unless you fancy picking it up (IIRC there was some prospect of your coming up for a visit with Rob?).

Tony.

PS Joel, most welcome any time.

There's something about those bloody great big bolts holding the speakers in that appeals to me. "These speakers are not here to piss about" is what that says to me :)

They really don't piss about - I've just played Joy Division's Atmosphere 12" at some volume which has proved that to me beyond all doubt! Sounds like a drum kit in the room.

Tony.

They really don't piss about - I've just played Joy Division's Atmosphere 12" at some volume which has proved that to me beyond all doubt! Sounds like a drum kit in the room.

Tony.

Crap, that's something that has got to be heard. I'm almost out the door and on the M53 :)

They're from the same school of speaker design that refers to your Harbeths as "compact" :)

You sure. I believe I read somewhere that they need to be no more than 6 inch drivers in small cabs and preferably active.:rolleyes:

At the time if memory correct i was using 2 radford 40 amps with a radford pre amp
cannot remember exact model of pre
deck std with a sme 3009 ser 3s +shure v15 cartridge
then i had 33-303 got rid , got 34 / bridged ,2 405 got rid. quads , more laid back than jj cale . never again not hi end the quads, music center stuff
all went speakers the lot in 84s
went down hi end route from then on

This thread is starting to annoy me.

Playing Atmosphere like that, next thing will be a picture of you playing along to Transmission on your Shergold Tony!

I have JD vinyl
I have a Shergold
I have an FM3 and an FM4, 33, 303 ... the list goes on

I DONT have a pair of 15" Tannoys though :mad:, and actually wouldnt dare living on the 4th floor!

;)

Try the intro of Money for Nothing, should be great if the Atmosphere drums did the trick Tony.

I DONT have a pair of 15" Tannoys though :mad:, and actually wouldnt dare living on the 4th floor!
A common misconception about big speakers is that somehow they do deep bass deeper than smaller speakers and are small-room unfriendluy. The truth is rather more subtle than that. Really good large speakers don't necessarily go much lower than smaller speakers (see the JBL9900 thread for confirmation of this), but do sound more real and natural (if they are any good). They also tend to integrate better into smaller rooms because they are less prone to setting off those nasty 50~60Hz room nodes than smaller speakers and the usually wide baffle can act as a wave guide that keeps the higher frequencies from bouncing off nearby walls that interferes with the direct arrival of the wavefront from the speaker.

Tony
There seems to be some mistake. You have my uncles radiogram. That is a family heirloom. I will pick up at the weekend and apologies for any inconvenience in storing it.

:D:D Let it be a lesson to all.........time trawling is not always wasted.

Ohoooooo 15" member now ...........Super result. That`s like catching a 30lb Salmon.

A common misconception about big speakers is that somehow they do deep bass deeper than smaller speakers and are small-room unfriendluy. The truth is rather more subtle than that. Really good large speakers don't necessarily go much lower than smaller speakers (see the JBL9900 thread for confirmation of this), but do sound more real and natural (if they are any good). They also tend to integrate better into smaller rooms because they are less prone to setting off those nasty 50~60Hz room nodes than smaller speakers and the usually wide baffle can act as a wave guide that keeps the higher frequencies from bouncing off nearby walls that interferes with the direct arrival of the wavefront from the speaker.

My small room goes against that Joel. I blame the size 14ftx11ft. Also the construction which is suspended floor and plasterboard ceiling. I am working on it all though. Have stiffened my Berkely cabs no end. Made really good stands and speakers sit on concrete slabs. Bass traps in corners too. Still a bit to go. I go under the floor once the weather warms........then a trap on the ceiling........then the loony bin:D

Really good large speakers don't necessarily go much lower than smaller speakers (see the JBL9900 thread for confirmation of this), but do sound more real and natural (if they are any good).

I've thought for a long time now that it's not frequency response but the ability to hoof a serious quantity of air about without any effort that matters. A kick drum, bass guitar, piano or whatever shifts a sizeable amount of air, to reproduce it you clearly need to do the same, even if you are not aiming for the same volume level. These things can do it without even breaking a sweat, no matter how closely I look at the drivers I can't see them move! Bass guitar, drums etc actually sound something like the instruments in question, which IMO they don't on the vast majority of audio systems. There are some great small speakers about, I've owned quite a few myself, but they are always creating an illusion of weight and scale rather than actually creating weight and scale IMO. It is a very different thing to my ears.

Tony.

advertisement

Back